E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 alternatives?!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Greg330
Captain
 
Greg330's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Coast

Posts: 744
iTrader: (0)

E90 alternatives?!

Looking at replacing my partners Mini with someone more economical and larger!

As I have an e92 I don't really want another 3!

I've been looking at E60's but they are too big apparently....

I'm really drawn to the Alfa 159, but the other half hates them!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s/ti?logcode=p

I can't seem to think of any other alternative apart from an E90!!

Any alternatives I'm missing?!
Greg330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Rudz
Captain
 
Rudz's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i LCI MSport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brighton

Posts: 965
iTrader: (2)

Mercedes c class :-)
__________________
ICE
Fronts: Morel Hybrid Ovation II 4, Rears: DLS R4, Center: Focal 100CA, Subs: Earthquake SWS8, JL 10W7, Amps: Audison LRX 6.9, Audison LRX 2.9, JL Slash 500/1 V2, DSP: JBL MS8
Rudz is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
bigbeemer
Private First Class
 
bigbeemer's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Msport auto
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wrexham

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Audi A5??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
Mercedes c class :-)
bigbeemer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
shrink
Captain
 
shrink's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i SE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edinburgh (UK)

Posts: 752
iTrader: (2)

Even a 1 series is sgnificantly more spacious than a mini, and would make a good alternative.

Otherwise a c class sport is probably the closest competitor to an e90 in terms of ability and build
shrink is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
verysideways
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Old shape 123d is quick and economical and spacious enough (compared to a MINI!), or if you're looking at newer then 120d or 125d?

There's a reason you like your 3 series - and the 1 series is the same (well, kinda, you know what i mean )
__________________
verysideways is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Greg330
Captain
 
Greg330's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Coast

Posts: 744
iTrader: (0)

Not a fan of Merc's so that rules that one out!

I like the idea of a 1 series, not really considered them as thought they maybe too small.

I get grief for only having BMW's but the people don't really realise just how good they are.....

Budget is about £8k and X3's are around that money. Could be a toss up between a 120d and and X3 2.0d!

Looks like the BMW fleet will continue!
Greg330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Mwp4me
Banned
 
Drives: E92 320i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cumbria

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg330 View Post
Looking at replacing my partners Mini with someone more economical and larger!

As I have an e92 I don't really want another 3!

I've been looking at E60's but they are too big apparently....

I'm really drawn to the Alfa 159, but the other half hates them!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s/ti?logcode=p

I can't seem to think of any other alternative apart from an E90!!

Any alternatives I'm missing?!
If you want economy, walk. Good for your health and does not damage the planet.

Save a fortune on fuel to.
Mwp4me is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Guvernator
Captain
 
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LONDON

Posts: 616
iTrader: (0)

Going through a very similar thought process as I will soon need to replace the E93 with something a bit more practical, just can't find anything I can get excited about which is

a) reasonably sized as the missus will drive it too

b) reasonably fun\quick

c) more practical

d) decent looking, most modern cars especially stuff which isn't coupe shaped is ugly.

Discounted Mercs (a bit boring and I've done the Merc thing), Audi's (boring), most modern 5 door hatchbacks (99% are ugly). I could go for an E90 but do I really want to replace one 3 series with another plus I don't like the rear end\lights on them at all (sorry E90 owners) Really at a loss to be honest.
Guvernator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
 
ukbeemerboy's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somerset UK

Posts: 1,147
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ive gone through the same senario, but I always come back to a 3 series.... It just ticks all the right boxes.
ukbeemerboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Greg330
Captain
 
Greg330's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Coast

Posts: 744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
a) reasonably sized as the missus will drive it too

b) reasonably fun\quick

c) more practical

d) decent looking, most modern cars especially stuff which isn't coupe shaped is ugly.
The four main points and they are so hard to meet....

I've been focused on X3's today, although I have a feeling prices are slightly inflated with the current weather. I've decided its not a good looking car but could look pretty cool with some decent wheels and a little drop!
Greg330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
dotmit
Private First Class
 
Drives: E93 325i | K46 S1000RR
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: EC3

Posts: 143
iTrader: (0)

I had a rental Audi for a week. Drove it about 1200km. It was rubbish, don't get one!
__________________
I'm new. Go easy on me
dotmit is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
verysideways
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

123d coupé.
Done.
__________________
verysideways is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Guvernator
Captain
 
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LONDON

Posts: 616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg330 View Post
The four main points and they are so hard to meet....

I've been focused on X3's today, although I have a feeling prices are slightly inflated with the current weather. I've decided its not a good looking car but could look pretty cool with some decent wheels and a little drop!
Must admit I've also been looking at smallish SUV's like the Q5, Evoque etc as nothing in the hatchback\saloon range excites me enough at the moment so I might as well say stuff it to the driver involvement and get an SUV instead and get a cheap toy for the weekend as I can't seem to find one car that does it all.
Guvernator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Rudz
Captain
 
Rudz's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i LCI MSport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brighton

Posts: 965
iTrader: (2)

Just been to the Merc showroom the new A class AMG style is a real stunner, much much better looking than the 1 series, go have a look mate, u will be impressed I am sure, the car looked roomy as well...
__________________
ICE
Fronts: Morel Hybrid Ovation II 4, Rears: DLS R4, Center: Focal 100CA, Subs: Earthquake SWS8, JL 10W7, Amps: Audison LRX 6.9, Audison LRX 2.9, JL Slash 500/1 V2, DSP: JBL MS8
Rudz is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
Guvernator
Captain
 
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LONDON

Posts: 616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
Just been to the Merc showroom the new A class AMG style is a real stunner, much much better looking than the 1 series, go have a look mate, u will be impressed I am sure, the car looked roomy as well...
I've been looking at those too and while they look lovely, they are slightly ruined by the fact that they are very expensive for what is a small hatchback and the ride is apparently atrocious, worse than a 3 series on run flats
Guvernator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
Greg330
Captain
 
Greg330's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Coast

Posts: 744
iTrader: (0)

Seen the ad's and they do look good, however, a little out of my price range!!
Greg330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
BarrySt
Private
 
Drives: E91 330d
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wokingham

Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

X1 perhaps?
BarrySt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
shrink
Captain
 
shrink's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i SE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edinburgh (UK)

Posts: 752
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Going through a very similar thought process as I will soon need to replace the E93 with something a bit more practical, just can't find anything I can get excited about which is

a) reasonably sized as the missus will drive it too

b) reasonably fun\quick

c) more practical

d) decent looking, most modern cars especially stuff which isn't coupe shaped is ugly.

Discounted Mercs (a bit boring and I've done the Merc thing), Audi's (boring), most modern 5 door hatchbacks (99% are ugly). I could go for an E90 but do I really want to replace one 3 series with another plus I don't like the rear end\lights on them at all (sorry E90 owners) Really at a loss to be honest.
Jaguar XF sport
shrink is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
Greg330
Captain
 
Greg330's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Coast

Posts: 744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
Jaguar XF sport
Nice, but out of budget for me anyway....
Greg330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
Greg330
Captain
 
Greg330's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Coast

Posts: 744
iTrader: (0)

Any photoshop kings can you make this black?!

Greg330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
Guvernator
Captain
 
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LONDON

Posts: 616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
Jaguar XF sport
I've been looking at these and really surpised at how much they depreciate, you can pick up a 2-3 year old example for very good money. Might need to go and check on out.

Greg is that a facelift X3?

Wasn't a huge fan of the original one but that one looks great.
Guvernator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #22
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BanziBarn's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London

Posts: 1,773
iTrader: (0)

Before getting my e90 I nearly went for 159 TI... Has to be a TI though - they look great! I can see why you're drawn to them OP.

The engines aren't great though. The 1.9 diesel is probably the best option as the v6 is too slow and thirsty. The 5 pot diesel is ok - it's what I would have gone for but it's not a patch on the BMW 6 pot derv unit.
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
BanziBarn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST