E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wound you install these on your vehicle ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
TXTT
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: TEXAS

Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)

Wound you install these on your vehicle ?

Would you in the right mind install these?? ?


I got a set of DP's from around here and i have a few concerns on the craftsmanship of this set. The materials used are solid but it looks as if they overlooked some key spots. The issues being the position the o2 bungs that are welded in . I am no expert buy wouldnt the edge of the bung sticking out will eventually heat up and maybe distort some of the readings the o2 is capturing ?

how should i get them fixed?







Please let me know if this is normal.
TXTT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
 
enrita's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

Posts: 7,318
iTrader: (0)

is not normal.... looks really bad IMHO
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Wicked335i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: pico rivera

Posts: 157
iTrader: (6)

Probably not bro unless you're doing the install yourself and don't mind taking them off again to put in your next set, if you're paying for labor I wouldn't do it.
Wicked335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
 
Bimmer305's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami

Posts: 277
iTrader: (1)

No need to fix anything. O2 sensors like heat.
__________________
Cobb / DCI / VRSF Downpipes / VRSF 7" Intercooler / Walbro LPFP / E85
Bimmer305 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
shadow191
Captain
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: GA

Posts: 809
iTrader: (3)

It would probably be fine, the edge of the O2 bung won't get any hotter than the exhaust flow. Maybe it would heat up a tiny, tiny bit quicker since the bung is in the flow path istead of flush with the wall. But I don't see how it would make a difference in readings.

I would be more worried that if they messed up the welding of the O2 sensors that the rest of the pipes have shoddy construction too. If they're new, and from a shop, I'd send them back. If you got a really good deal on them and you're not paying to install, I'd put them on and see what happens. But I probably wouldn't pay to have them installed since install and removal would likely be more than the pipes cost and that's what you'd be looking at if there's a problem.
shadow191 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
135Pats
Need more fuel
 
135Pats's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,079
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
It would probably be fine, the edge of the O2 bung won't get any hotter than the exhaust flow. Maybe it would heat up a tiny, tiny bit quicker since the bung is in the flow path istead of flush with the wall. But I don't see how it would make a difference in readings.

I would be more worried that if they messed up the welding of the O2 sensors that the rest of the pipes have shoddy construction too. If they're new, and from a shop, I'd send them back. If you got a really good deal on them and you're not paying to install, I'd put them on and see what happens. But I probably wouldn't pay to have them installed since install and removal would likely be more than the pipes cost and that's what you'd be looking at if there's a problem.
Agreed. The o2 not being flush doesn’t really concern me, but the overall build quality looks a bit off on those particular pipes. It happens, these are small companies with limited QC capabilities.
__________________
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
pgaplayerless
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 232
iTrader: (0)

It's perfectly fine. Guessing you bought one of the OBX/PLM/Raceland downpipes. They might not be prettiest to look at but function just the same as the $800 pretty pipes.
pgaplayerless is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
JamesM3M5
Some dude
 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 1,645
iTrader: (0)

The last one ain't pretty, but it's perfectly fine provided the sensors screw in all the way. Make sure the threads aren't melted inside the bung. Otherwise the sensor bung depth is not a problem. No worries.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,311
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
The protrusion isn't so much of a concern. It's just a quick way to get the angles needed for the o2 sensors as there is limited clearance.

As far as the craftsmanship and weld quality I can't tell. (doesn't look good from here).
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
paulguma
Bavarian Murder Weapon
 
paulguma's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Posts: 240
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
what company made these? This kind of stuff needs to be called out.
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic156572_1.gif
paulguma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
 
Bimmer305's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami

Posts: 277
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
what company made these? This kind of stuff needs to be called out.
Called out for what? Whats wrong with the pipes?

The only thing that may not look nice is a little bit lack of penetration on the weld, nothing to worry about.
Install your pipes and move on.

Stop been so ridiculous guys, really.
__________________
Cobb / DCI / VRSF Downpipes / VRSF 7" Intercooler / Walbro LPFP / E85
Bimmer305 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
paulguma
Bavarian Murder Weapon
 
paulguma's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Posts: 240
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer305 View Post
Called out for what? Whats wrong with the pipes?

The only thing that may not look nice is a little bit lack of penetration on the weld, nothing to worry about.
Install your pipes and move on.

Stop been so ridiculous guys, really.
Are you serious? That craftsmanship needs to be stepped up. That's how forums work. Free flow of information.
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic156572_1.gif
paulguma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
MrClean514
Carlos Spicyweiner
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fault-line CA

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
Are you serious? That craftsmanship needs to be stepped up. That's how forums work. Free flow of information.
If it is just some guy who wants to provide a cheaper product to the consumer, then it's fine. If it were a major manufacturer (i.e. aFe, HKS or a company along those lines) then I would make a stink about the build quality. As is, it is still functional. You get what you pay for right?
MrClean514 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
pgaplayerless
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 232
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
Are you serious? That craftsmanship needs to be stepped up. That's how forums work. Free flow of information.
If the price reflects the "function over form" production methodology....what exactly do you want to call them out on???
pgaplayerless is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
paulguma
Bavarian Murder Weapon
 
paulguma's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Posts: 240
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Honestly. I just want to know who made it. If that't too much too ask, then keep it a secret. Not going to hurt my feelings.
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic156572_1.gif
paulguma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
 
Bimmer305's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami

Posts: 277
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
Are you serious? That craftsmanship needs to be stepped up. That's how forums work. Free flow of information.
It appear you are failing to understanding the free information you refer to. It has been clearly stated that is will perform and function just fine.

Don't expect to buy the cheapest part on the market and look like a $850 one.
If you want a prettier on, don't be cheap and buy the one according to your needs.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
Honestly. I just want to know who made it. If that't too much too ask, then keep it a secret. Not going to hurt my feelings.
They are VRSF.
__________________
Cobb / DCI / VRSF Downpipes / VRSF 7" Intercooler / Walbro LPFP / E85
Bimmer305 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
TXTT
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: TEXAS

Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)

Well guys I just needed to know if the bung would create an issue since I haven't seen any other pics of the interior positioning.

Yeah I have a guy to install them for $150 for labor each time...

I guess I got my answer.
TXTT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
paulguma
Bavarian Murder Weapon
 
paulguma's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Posts: 240
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer305 View Post
It appear you are failing to understanding the free information you refer to. It has been clearly stated that is will perform and function just fine.

Don't expect to buy the cheapest part on the market and look like a $850 one.
If you want a prettier on, don't be cheap and buy the one according to your needs.

Edit:


They are VRSF.
Thanks. For the record, I think VRSF is probably the best bang for the buck. If it was one of the more expensive ones, there might be an issue.
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic156572_1.gif
paulguma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,142
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
Thanks. For the record, I think VRSF is probably the best bang for the buck. If it was one of the more expensive ones, there might be an issue.
I don't think so. BMS's downpipes are much higher quality around the same price bracket.
__________________
E90 N54 6AT
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hudson, MA

Posts: 5,727
iTrader: (88)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
I don't think so. BMS's downpipes are much higher quality around the same price bracket.
I love that "factual" opinion you seem to push on others
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #21
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,142
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I love that "factual" opinion you seem to push on others
It's not factual. Just my inferences based on how I've seen many sets of your downpipes and exhaust fit on alot of cars, as well as the number of swap out/returns you deal. BMS downpipes are not perfect by any means (I've seen sets that sit pretty close to each other and end up rattling), but they seem to have less fitment problems than VRSF sets, in my experience.
__________________
E90 N54 6AT
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #22
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hudson, MA

Posts: 5,727
iTrader: (88)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
It's not factual. Just my inferences based on how I've seen many sets of your downpipes and exhaust fit on alot of cars, as well as the number of swap out/returns you deal. BMS downpipes are not perfect by any means (I've seen sets that sit pretty close to each other and end up rattling), but they seem to have less fitment problems than VRSF sets, in my experience.
What's your experience with our V2's?
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST