E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Test Drove a 335i today, and have a few questions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Mr.Snail
Private First Class
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North East

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

Test Drove a 335i today, and have a few questions

Hello,

today me and a friend of mine went out to Massachusetts to test drive a 2007 e92 335i 6spd with 52k miles on it. It has from what i believe to be an exhaust flap rattle but, it occurred not while cold but only when warm. upon viewing the car and starting it up cold we revved the engine to 3500-4000 and heard no rattling noises from the waste gates or the exhaust area. we then allowed the car to warm up and took it for a test drive doing a few pulls 1st - 4th and the car felt solid and pulled very nicely.

when we returned to the dealership and revved the car in neutral again there appeared to be a rattling noise. the faintest of sound could be heard in the engine bay while revving, so we pulled the vacuum canister lines one at a time and watched the wastegates move and heard no sounds. when standing near the rear driverside wheel there was significantly louder rattling sound while revving.

From what ive read people always say the exhaust flap only rattles when closed and cold, but in this situation its occurring while open and warm only.


also when using the seek function on the radio, it would not pick up a station, we had to use the tune to move up stations.

when viewing the dealers maintenance receipt for after he purchased the car it stated:

check over vehicle, check faults, clear faults, recheck after test drive, random misfires, inspected plugs very white, carbon issue, top off all fluids, reset service indicator. remove intake manifold, remove carbon, replace 4 wheel brakes, adjust sensor, replace rf thrust arm, perform bg brake flush.

Last edited by Mr.Snail; 03-23-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Mr.Snail is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
SfValley335i
Colonel
 
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Snail View Post
Hello,

today me and a friend of mine went out to Massachusetts to test drive a 2007 e92 335i 6spd with 52k miles on it. It has from what i believe to be an exhaust flap rattle but, it occurred not while cold but only when warm. upon viewing the car and starting it up cold we revved the engine to 3500-4000 and heard no rattling noises from the waste gates or the exhaust area. we then allowed the car to warm up and took it for a test drive doing a few pulls 1st - 4th and the car felt solid and pulled very nicely.

when we returned to the dealership and revved the car in neutral again there appeared to be a rattling noise. the faintest of sound could be heard in the engine bay while revving, so we pulled the vacuum canister lines one at a time and watched the wastegates move and heard no sounds. when standing near the rear driverside wheel there was significantly louder rattling sound while revving.

From what ive read people always say the exhaust flap only rattles when closed and cold, but in this situation its occurring while open and warm only.


also when using the seek function on the radio, it would not pick up a station, we had to use the tune to move up stations.

when viewing the dealers maintenance receipt for after he purchased the car and it stated:

check over vehicle, check faults, clear faults, recheck after test drive, random misfires, inspected plugs very white, carbon issue, top off all fluids, reset service indicator. remove intake manifold, remove carbon, replace 4 wheel brakes, adjust sensor, replace rf thrust arm, perform bg brake flush.

Nice story, but where are you questions?
SfValley335i is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Mr.Snail
Private First Class
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North East

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

touche, my questions would be:

what do you guys think about the rattling sound?

what would cause the issue with radio continuously seeking?

should i worry about the miss-fire codes?
Mr.Snail is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
CT335xi
First Lieutenant
 
CT335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335xi, evo 8, gmc syclone
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Naugatuck,Ct

Posts: 329
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Snail View Post
touche, my questions would be:

what do you guys think about the rattling sound?

what would cause the issue with radio continuously seeking?

should i worry about the miss-fire codes?
1 the rattling sound is probably just the exhaust, I wouldn't worry to much. As long as the engine isn't rattling.

2 Maybe there wasn't a good signal to catch any close by stations?

3 I wouldn't worry about it if the plugs/ coils or what ever was causing the issue was fixed.
__________________
volk re30 18x8.5 / tc kline coilovers / cobb ap / afe stg 2 sealed cai / afe air scoops / 5" ets fmic
CT335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Mr.Snail
Private First Class
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North East

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
1 the rattling sound is probably just the exhaust, I wouldn't worry to much. As long as the engine isn't rattling.

2 Maybe there wasn't a good signal to catch any close by stations?

3 I wouldn't worry about it if the plugs/ coils or what ever was causing the issue was fixed.
the plugs were replaced at 49k and hpfp at 24k
Mr.Snail is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,306
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
This car is notorious for exhaust rattles, sometimes its the turbo waste gates, or sometimes its the flap in the back.

Misfires are common too.

I dont see anything out of the ordinary.

However, if the wastegates are rattling they may be eligible for replacement from the dealer, keyword MAYBE.

No idea about the radio though.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
BEAR-AvHistory
335is 7DCT/JB4+COBB
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

Posts: 2,140
iTrader: (0)

Is it a CPO?
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport - 2013 135is Cab JB4/ISO 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
E92mech
E92
 
Drives: 2010 E92 Le Mans M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

If its CPO then they should just replace the exhaust flapper.
E92mech is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Mr.Snail
Private First Class
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North East

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

no it is not CPO.
Mr.Snail is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
 
Crulexis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i // E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto - GTA

Posts: 330
iTrader: (1)

How is the original new car warranty different than the certified warranty?
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Jet Black | Saddle Brown
COBB AP | VRSF Catless D.P's | BMS DCI | BMW Performance 313 Rims | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | LUX V8 V3's | WeissLicht PY24W
Crulexis is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #11
nikitino25
Lieutenant
 
nikitino25's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri

Posts: 492
iTrader: (1)

How much are they asking for the car?
nikitino25 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
CUTigers
Captain
 
CUTigers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta/Lawrenceville

Posts: 859
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulexis
How is the original new car warranty different than the certified warranty?
New car is first 4yr/50k, CPO takes over after for 2 more yr/100k.
CUTigers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
E92mech
E92
 
Drives: 2010 E92 Le Mans M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

When my exhaust flapper went it was extremely loud at startup, then the valve would open and quiet after the ~60 second warmup, but then would become loud again in a waxing and waning manner depending on throttle and RPM in a somewhat unpredictable way. What you're describing doesn't sound inconsistent with what I experienced.

I am under warranty and the dealer replaced the valve and exhaust distal to it. IIRC the job was <2hrs.

You could also just get a catback...
E92mech is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
New car is first 4yr/50k, CPO takes over after for 2 more yr/100k.
Plus CPO only covers big items (mostly just drivetrain), and no more maintenace. There are several other items covered for longer periods due to recalls or chronic failures on all cars CPO or not. These are HPFF & injectors (100k?) wastegate/turbos (80k?). I am not sure of the exact durations but search here on them.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
CUTigers
Captain
 
CUTigers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta/Lawrenceville

Posts: 859
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Plus CPO only covers big items (mostly just drivetrain), and no more maintenace. There are several other items covered for longer periods due to recalls or chronic failures on all cars CPO or not. These are HPFF & injectors (100k?) wastegate/turbos (80k?). I am not sure of the exact durations but search here on them.
true story. CPO wont cover a good bit of stuff, even if you have extender Maint.
CUTigers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #16
Mr.Snail
Private First Class
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North East

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25
How much are they asking for the car?
They were asking $24k
Mr.Snail is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Kienvu14
Private
 
Drives: 2007 bmw 335xi aspen white E90
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Denver

Posts: 61
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Snail
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25
How much are they asking for the car?
They were asking $24k
I may not have any say in this with experience, but I bought my 2007 e90 335xi last year for less than 24k with 40,000 miles. Is that price negotiable?
Kienvu14 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
 
sammy_0559's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

Posts: 1,937
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
i welded my flapper open LOL
sammy_0559 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
Mr.Snail
Private First Class
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North East

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

Why would the flapper only make noise When open? The car had zero rattles when cold and being revved.
Mr.Snail is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
seanforney
Private
 
Drives: 2009 E90 Montego Blue
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WV

Posts: 82
iTrader: (0)

My car had the wastegate rattle, was an easy fix but under warranty.
seanforney is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Wes335XI
Second Lieutenant
 
Wes335XI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI Space Grey
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK

Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Snail View Post
Why would the flapper only make noise When open? The car had zero rattles when cold and being revved.
I live in Alaska where it gets below sub zero temps. When my exhaust flapper would get stuck and not open at all, I did myself the favor of buying an aftermarket exhaust in the Spring after I bought the car and enjoyed the lovely sound of a BMW inline 6. Do yourself a favor and get rid of that stock exhaust and open her up. You'll never have to worry about the exhaust flapper ever again.

My stock exhaust had some rust on it, it was dented in a couple spots, and the piping was quite small. I was glas I go rid of it.
__________________
08 E92 335XI AT|RB Upgraded Twins|TCKR SA Coilovers|AR DPs|AE Dual Exhaust|aFe DC Intake|ETS 5 FMIC|JB4 G5|BMS Meth Kit|ER CP Tial Q BOV|BMS OCC|Staggered Midnight Blue VMR V718|Burning Blue Muteki lugs|DBA4000 Slotted Front/Rear|AXXIS ULT Front/Rear|Stoptech Steel lines Front/Rear|ATESuperBlue|JG Mods MSport|LightWerkz Custom headlights w/ UmnitzaV4|
Wes335XI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
335sRus
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kienvu14 View Post
I may not have any say in this with experience, but I bought my 2007 e90 335xi last year for less than 24k with 40,000 miles. Is that price negotiable?
+1

price seems a little high... I bought a 2007 e90 335xi 2 months ago w/ 55K miles for $17,995. I bought mine at a BMW dealer. Maybe "i"s and MTs are going for more?
335sRus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST