E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > LCI E90 Headlights not Self Leveling

09-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
skiracer8148
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i

LCI E90 Headlights not Self Leveling

Hello everyone kinda new here but not new to the automotive and tuner scene. Picked up my first Bmw couple weeks ago 2011 335i but the headlights do not self level on start up and actually aim straight down about 2 feet in front of the car. I am just out of warranty so that is not an option. I have read prolby 100 threads but alot of the other adaptive headlight errors are pre lci. I have tried replacing the front leveling sensor but no luck. Also I am aware that the headlights must be on auto for the self leveling to work. I have not yet taken the headlights off the car and was hoping to save that as a worst case scenario. Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: I am also aware of the servo rod that comes disconnected but i wasn't sure if that was still an issue with LCI and from what I have read when that rod pops off the headlights usually aim to the sky not the ground. I also thought it would be odd that both headlights could possibly be popped off, for most people its only one headlight that pops off.

Edit2 Fixed: So I took the headlights off the car and discovered that it wasn't the ball and rod that everyone else has posted pics of it was the upper pivot point that had come undone. I believe this is from potholes, both of my headlights had the same issue. I tried to find a good breakdown of the internal headlight parts but it doesn't show so I guess its not serviceable and if it continues headlights will have to be replaced.

Last edited by skiracer8148; 09-14-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
mcpcolas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 montego blue 335i xdrive

Happened to me a couple times and the dealer would just replace the whole headlight. Something inside the housing is broken . Did u hit any big pot holes recently? And how come u out warranty on a 11 335xi ? Over mileage
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
skiracer8148
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpcolas View Post
Happened to me a couple times and the dealer would just replace the whole headlight. Something inside the housing is broken . Did u hit any big pot holes recently? And how come u out warranty on a 11 335xi ? Over mileage
Yes bought the car with 54k, I bought the car with this issue and didnt realize till I got home and it was dark. Of course fly by night dealer in NJ doesnt wanna know nothing says the car was sold as is.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer8148 View Post
Yes bought the car with 54k, I bought the car with this issue and didnt realize till I got home and it was dark. Of course fly by night dealer in NJ doesnt wanna know nothing says the car was sold as is.
Name and shame, which dealer was it? Why didn't you PPI a used car? Hell, i would PPI a CPO car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #5
deeLow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: AW 335xi

Can you manually adjust the height of the beams by using the adjusters?

On my Pre LCI, I had an issue where the PS would not self level although I would see it attempting to move. Also had no manual vertical height adjustment-- Turns out the adjuster was broken on the inside and requires a new housing.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
skiracer8148
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
Can you manually adjust the height of the beams by using the adjusters?

On my Pre LCI, I had an issue where the PS would not self level although I would see it attempting to move. Also had no manual vertical height adjustment-- Turns out the adjuster was broken on the inside and requires a new housing.
The adjustment worked but changes were very slight being that the projector was popped out from the top pivot point
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
skiracer8148
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Name and shame, which dealer was it? Why didn't you PPI a used car? Hell, i would PPI a CPO car.
Deluxe Auto NJ, not very happy with them and still trying to get them to correct some of the issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
AndreyT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer8148 View Post
Also I am aware that the headlights must be on auto for the self leveling to work.
You are mistaken.

Self-leveling is a standard feature of bi-xenon headlights required by law. This feature makes the headlights swing in up-down direction. It is always active, i.e. it works regardless of whether the headlight switch is set to "auto" or not.

The feature that depends on "auto" setting is called adaptive headlights. It is the feature that makes your headlights swing in left-right direction to follow the direction of steering wheel when you turn it.

Judging by your descritption, you are indeed talking about self-leveling functionality. It that case forget about "auto". Self-leveling must work in all modes.

Last edited by AndreyT; 09-16-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
You are mistaken.

Self-leveling is a standard feature of a xenon headlights required by law. This feature makes the headlights swing in up-down direction. It is always active, i.e. it works regardless of whether the headlight switch is set to "auto" or not.

The feature that depends on "auto" setting is called adaptive headlights. It is the feature that makes your headlights swing in left-right direction to follow the direction of steering wheel when you turn it.

Judging by your descritption, you are indeed talking about self-leveling functionality. It that case forget about "auto". Self-leveling must work in all modes.
You are correct, that is the same understanding i have of how the headlights work.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #10
amullo
E91 Diesel abuser
Sweden
Rep

Drives: E91 LCI 320da Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
You are mistaken.

Self-leveling is a standard feature of bi-xenon headlights required by law. This feature makes the headlights swing in up-down direction. It is always active, i.e. it works regardless of whether the headlight switch is set to "auto" or not.

A note:
The "Auto" setting also turns the lowbeams on and off automatically at dusk-dawn-tunnels on cars with halogen or xenones without the adaptive option.

But you ARE correct in the selfleveling. Even with the lightswitch in 0, a xenon equipped car will move the projectors up and down on startup

Sorry, just making that extra clear,
Appreciate 0