E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d Oil Level

02-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
confused.com
Private First Class

Drives: 335d

335d Oil Level

Hi guys, newbie question i know.

What level should the oil be at on the dipstick, and when is best to check it. I've just taken a look now, the car has been parked up all night and its on a little below the half way mark.

Should it be at the max line when heated?

thanks
      02-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
AlwynMike
Captain

Drives: E91 335d.

Should be at the top, hot or cold - it doesn't expand much.
Below the top is OK if you keep your eye on it, and it doesn't get down to minimum.
Remove dipstick, wipe clean, dip, remove and read the level.

Don't dip the car just after it's been running, as some of the oil will drain back to the sump after a short period.

Mike
AlwynMike is offline   United Kingdom
      02-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Sword906

Drives: Bmw coupe

Also make sure you top it up with a quality synthetic oil such as Castro Edge 0w30 and congratulations on your purchase. They are brilliant car to drive
      02-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
confused.com
Private First Class

Drives: 335d

Thanks guys!

Sword906 - i've had the car nearly 2 years now, just a bit lapsed with such such things, but yes, it is a serious piece of kit
      02-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
briers
Ben

Drives: XFR

I normally check about 5 mins after switch off on level ground.

The dipstick has an arrow indicating max and min. The dipstick has sections and the max arrow points down, the max oil level is under this. Absolute max would be right up the bottom of the arrow tip / the top of the middle section.

In this pic, it's the middle section which indicates min to max.

My 335d doesnt use any oil so the level stays the same. Mine is just a tiny bit under max and stays there. Overfilling can cause issues so we careful when topping up.
briers is offline   United Kingdom
      02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
acerboo
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 335d lci

haven't looked again but im sure the book says to get the oil warm, leave it to settle then check it. my previous 335d never used a drop.
acerboo is offline   England
      02-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport

If your car is on the max when warm and you've let it settled, where would you expect to see the cold mark out of interest?
JTMR360 is offline   United Kingdom
      02-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
parapaul
Colonel

Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMR360 View Post
If your car is on the max when warm and you've let it settled, where would you expect to see the cold mark out of interest?
Funnily enough, I think it will rise.

Several years back, I was giving the works car a once over before taking it out. This was a daily check - oil, water, lights, tyres etc., and I knew that when I'd checked it the day before, everything was spot on. That morning, the oil level was probably 1/3 as much again over the MAX mark, so I booked it off the road for the mechanics to drain, thinking the guy covering the night shift had been a prat and topped it up unnecessarily.

Turned out there hadn't been anyone on the night shift, and I'd dipped it with the engine cold. Once up to temperature, the oil level dropped back to the MAX mark.

Wierd.
      02-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #9
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport

Well, when mine is dipped from stone cold it's just over the minumum by about 5mm but then when warm after 30 miles or so and left to sit for 5 minutes it's on the maximum.

I have always dipped my petrol cars from cold but as this has just had an oil change at a BMW Indy I am confused as to why this is on low cold, I would have thought it should be max on cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Funnily enough, I think it will rise.

Several years back, I was giving the works car a once over before taking it out. This was a daily check - oil, water, lights, tyres etc., and I knew that when I'd checked it the day before, everything was spot on. That morning, the oil level was probably 1/3 as much again over the MAX mark, so I booked it off the road for the mechanics to drain, thinking the guy covering the night shift had been a prat and topped it up unnecessarily.

Turned out there hadn't been anyone on the night shift, and I'd dipped it with the engine cold. Once up to temperature, the oil level dropped back to the MAX mark.

Wierd.
JTMR360 is offline   United Kingdom