E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How do BMW Maintenance Costs Compare to others?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
thechoson
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 328i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

How do BMW Maintenance Costs Compare to others?

I've heard a lot that it costs a lot to maintain a BMW.

I was wondering how these costs compare to similar cars in its class, such as an Infiniti G37, Audi A4, Acura TL, Lexus IS, etc.

Are all these cars similarly expensive to maintain, or does BMW stand out?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
07E92TT
Major
07E92TT's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,337
Posts

Drives: 08 C63
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orlando,FL

iTrader: (1)

well uh, bmws have free maint. up to 50k miles so i'd say bmw would probably be the cheapest...
__________________
Car: 2008 E90 SG/Black/Dark Burl (sold)
2008 MB C63 P.Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Oulixes's Avatar
19
Rep
1,941
Posts

Drives: 330xi, 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Terra Borealis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
I've heard a lot that it costs a lot to maintain a BMW.

I was wondering how these costs compare to similar cars in its class, such as an Infiniti G37, Audi A4, Acura TL, Lexus IS, etc.

Are all these cars similarly expensive to maintain, or does BMW stand out?
BMW strategy is to include the maintenance cost for the first few years of ownership into the purchasing cost of the car. You have to research out how the other companies you are interested in handle the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Quasimodem
Colonel
Quasimodem's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,383
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
After your warranty expires, maintenance will cost you two appendages. The choice is yours, but I would stick to arms and legs, all your other appendages are too important.
__________________
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
WWONG
Banned
United_States
57
Rep
1,832
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (14)

As weird as it sounds, anyone else wish that BMW would make the maintenance plan an option and lower the price of the cars by a little? I wouldn't mind...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
wj4
Major General
United_States
158
Rep
7,719
Posts

Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07E92TT View Post
well uh, bmws have free maint. up to 50k miles so i'd say bmw would probably be the cheapest...
No such thing as a free lunch, my friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
CollinsE90's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
1,927
Posts

Drives: Cadillac coupe deville
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: street corner checking profits

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
No such thing as a free lunch, my friend.
+1, they get their money for maintenance from the cost of the car...also why they suggest oil change every 15k so they only do it 3 times. You can take it in sooner as most of us on here do, but the general public BMW owners dont know any better and do what the dealer says....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
ENINTY
Banned
75
Rep
3,415
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
As weird as it sounds, anyone else wish that BMW would make the maintenance plan an option and lower the price of the cars by a little? I wouldn't mind...
+1.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
ENINTY
Banned
75
Rep
3,415
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
+1, they get their money for maintenance from the cost of the car...also why they suggest oil change every 15k so they only do it 3 times. You can take it in sooner as most of us on here do, but the general public BMW owners dont know any better and do what the dealer says....
I hate this argument because it is stupid. First off the CAR tells you when to change the oil, not the dealer. Secondly, if BMW had a shorter change interval, say at 7,500 miles instead of 15,000 miles, they'd just charge a little more for the base price of the car to cover the oil service costs. So if the going rate for an oil change is $100, they'd be adding $300 to the price of the car; think anybody would notice $300 extra price on a $40,000 car?

Whether you belive in the BMW CBS oil change interval or not is up to you as an individual choice, but to say "the general public BMW owners don't know any better and do what the dealer says" is a stupid statement. If the dealer wanted to make more money he'd recommend shorter oil change intervals and have the owner pay him for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
cotmfk
Brigadier General
cotmfk's Avatar
137
Rep
4,037
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

I know the 335 has been cheaper than my B7 S4 to this point. That was a V8, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Whether you belive in the BMW CBS oil change interval or not is up to you as an individual choice, but to say "the general public BMW owners don't know any better and do what the dealer says" is a stupid statement.
I agree with most of your statement, but disagree with this. At least in the US, a large portion of the general public has no idea what is going on with their cars. If it gets them from A to B, they are happy. So, if BMW tells them the car will tell them when it needs something, they won't bring the car in except for at those times.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Ryan323i
Captain
Ryan323i's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
844
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
After your warranty expires, maintenance will cost you two appendages. The choice is yours, but I would stick to arms and legs, all your other appendages are too important.
Ha!
__________________
2015 320i xDrive | Imperial Blue Metallic/Black SensaTec | Sport Package | Lighting Package | Moonroof | Heated front seats
Past BMWs: 2006 330i, 2000 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
Weaselboy
Major
Weaselboy's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
1,260
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Just another data point here. When I cross shopped Audi and Mercedes last fall both sold a maintenance package similar to what we get free from BMW. As I recall they were both $790.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
kurtural
Private First Class
kurtural's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 X3, 2006 525i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

I don't understand why this oil change is such a big issue with the so called enthusiast community in the States. Even the Renault has a 18k/12 mo service interval, very similar to our E9Xs. There has been progress made in lubrication industry and it has effects on the auto industry. Some companies choose to integrate it in their new cars like the BMW so do not.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
cb1111's Avatar
31
Rep
2,489
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
I agree with most of your statement, but disagree with this. At least in the US, a large portion of the general public has no idea what is going on with their cars. If it gets them from A to B, they are happy. So, if BMW tells them the car will tell them when it needs something, they won't bring the car in except for at those times.
These BMW conspiracy theories are absurd. BMW uses similar intervals throughout the world.

The fact is that only the US has this foolish obsession with frequent oil changes that is fostered by the "jiffy lube mentality." Manufacturers have a vested interest is keeping their cars running properly and skimping on a handful of oil changes.

Using the proper oil and following the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations is the best way to keep your car - and your wallet - running smoothly.

Aside from earlier oil sludge reports on Toyota/Lexus (caused by delayed maintenance) and VW/Audi there are no reports of oil issues. Issues were resolved when synthetic oil was used.

There are absolutely no reports of lubrication issues with BMW's - or - for that matter - any modern car that uses synthetic oil.

Last edited by cb1111; 05-16-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
2,725
Posts

Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I hate this argument because it is stupid. First off the CAR tells you when to change the oil, not the dealer. Secondly, if BMW had a shorter change interval, say at 7,500 miles instead of 15,000 miles, they'd just charge a little more for the base price of the car to cover the oil service costs. So if the going rate for an oil change is $100, they'd be adding $300 to the price of the car; think anybody would notice $300 extra price on a $40,000 car?

Whether you belive in the BMW CBS oil change interval or not is up to you as an individual choice, but to say "the general public BMW owners don't know any better and do what the dealer says" is a stupid statement. If the dealer wanted to make more money he'd recommend shorter oil change intervals and have the owner pay him for it.
You have to relax. This is a discussion board, no need for name calling.
1) Who tells the car that the oil needs changing; its BMW.
2) The only reason I don't have 100% faith in BMW is because BMW also states that they have "lifetime" fluids. Meanwhile even a non-enthusiast knows that no oil lasts a lifetime. Because of their stupidity, it makes people doubt them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
cb1111's Avatar
31
Rep
2,489
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DC

iTrader: (2)

Now, back on topic.

Infiniti has the screwiest maintenance schedule where the owner can choose if they want to do services every 3500 or 7000 miles.

Audi has 10k service intervals in the US.

Acura uses a variable maintenance schedule. By personal experience I can tell you that maintenance is required every 8-10k miles or so.

One way to determine service costs is to buy a maintenance contract.

The Audi contract for 35k miles is about $800
The infiniti contract is about $2000 for 75k miles (3k schedule)
Acura doesn't have one but costs should be less than Infiniti
BMW has a service contract to 100k miles that covers costs between 50 and 100k for about $2k. Costs for 0-50k miles is less than that - a number you can subtract from the cost from the car (about $800)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
2,725
Posts

Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

If you DIY, maintenance costs will be similar. Maybe the parts costing a little more. Its easy to find out. Look up the maintenance parts at rmeuropean or autohauz or one of the forum sponsors and price out maintenance parts ie: brakes, rotors, plugs, air, micron, oil filters, etc to see what they cost. If you don't DIY I hope you have a good INDY.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
oilfighter
Private First Class
1
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

One thing I like about BMW's "free" (more like pre-paid) maintenance is that they won't push you for extra service.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
scottp999
Brigadier General
scottp999's Avatar
77
Rep
4,753
Posts

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Read some of the dealer service and maintenance horror stories around here. Do your own work as much as possible. It's fun, you learn about your car, and get a feeling of accomplishment when finished. Buy the Bentley manual, the bavarian technique tool, and pick up tools along the way.

realoem.com to look up part numbers and getbmwparts.com for the cheapest bmw parts.

If you are just leasing for a few years then the dealer is fine, but if you are a long term owner, invest some time in learning how to fix the car yourself.
__________________
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, RB PCV Valve, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
As weird as it sounds, anyone else wish that BMW would make the maintenance plan an option and lower the price of the cars by a little? I wouldn't mind...
You may want that now, but whenever the cost of maintaining a car is high enough that a manufacturer hides it by baking it into the price of the car so you can finance the maintenance cost, be wary of what you wish for...

Yes, I'm aware too that by "allowing" you to finance 4 years of maintenance cost, BMW also is able to earn interest on what otherwise would be a non-interest earning transaction...so there's more to it than just the cost itself being high.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I hate this argument because it is stupid. First off the CAR tells you when to change the oil, not the dealer. Secondly, if BMW had a shorter change interval, say at 7,500 miles instead of 15,000 miles, they'd just charge a little more for the base price of the car to cover the oil service costs. So if the going rate for an oil change is $100, they'd be adding $300 to the price of the car; think anybody would notice $300 extra price on a $40,000 car?

Whether you belive in the BMW CBS oil change interval or not is up to you as an individual choice, but to say "the general public BMW owners don't know any better and do what the dealer says" is a stupid statement. If the dealer wanted to make more money he'd recommend shorter oil change intervals and have the owner pay him for it.
+1 for sound reasoning over sophistry and hyperbole.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #22
fruition3000
Captain
fruition3000's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
769
Posts

Drives: Down Ocean Drive
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Le-Bron Town

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
These BMW conspiracy theories are absurd. BMW uses similar intervals throughout the world.

The fact is that only the US has this foolish obsession with frequent oil changes that is fostered by the "jiffy lube mentality." Manufacturers have a vested interest is keeping their cars running properly and skimping on a handful of oil changes.

Using the proper oil and following the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations is the best way to keep your car - and your wallet - running smoothly.

Aside from earlier oil sludge reports on Toyota/Lexus (caused by delayed maintenance) and VW/Audi there are no reports of oil issues. Issues were resolved when synthetic oil was used.

There are absolutely no reports of lubrication issues with BMW's - or - for that matter - any modern car that uses synthetic oil.



I don't know about you but i'm not leaving my oil filter in past 6k. The oil will be fine but not the oil filter
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST