Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Holy crap this thing sucks in the snow



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Pete Schweaty's Avatar
6
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Holy crap this thing sucks in the snow

So after the devastating inch of snow we got yesterday in Maryland, I am sold on getting winter tires. I have a 2007 335 with sports package and 18" OEM 162's. Would it be better to just get winter tires and have them mounted and dismounted every year, or go with a dedicated winter wheel/tire set up?

Would I have any problems with speedometer accuracy, or alignment going from 18's to 17's? How much better is the grip on 17's as opposed to 18's? Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
JYohay
Banned
24
Rep
2,011
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

just get a winter set......ive picked up 3 sets in the last 3 months, yea i know, rangign from OEM 17" to ASA 18" all with blizzacks, all with what i would call 90% tred.
the OEM i paid $650, the ASA 18" (they are m3 fitment also) were $450.
i also had a set of OZ racing wheels with blizzacks but the tred wasnt up to my liking for $300.
so its not worth it to mount and dismount
check ebay and craigslist
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
DrAmazing
Private First Class
Canada
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: '07 335i Coupe JB4
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Halifax, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Get some cheap rep winters 2nd hand.
Ive got a set of old e39 m5 reps with toyo garit kx's. I was very please with how the car handles in the snow and how well i was able to get up hills. I live in canada. I drove the car recently up the very steep hill I live on. there was about 2 inches of packed snow under the tires. I had to pass a fwd van on the way up. I dont have awd. 2007 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
45
Rep
3,378
Posts

 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty View Post
So after the devastating inch of snow we got yesterday in Maryland, I am sold on getting winter tires. I have a 2007 335 with sports package and 18" OEM 162's. Would it be better to just get winter tires and have them mounted and dismounted every year, or go with a dedicated winter wheel/tire set up?

Would I have any problems with speedometer accuracy, or alignment going from 18's to 17's? How much better is the grip on 17's as opposed to 18's? Thanks for the help.
speedo should be pretty accurate, its only when you go 19+ its a noticeable difference.

grip isnt much of size but 17" is a more popular winter tire with a square set up. Rims the same width and tires the same width/height.

No alignment is needed for most application.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Meeni's Avatar
24
Rep
1,876
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330i 06
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TN

iTrader: (0)

Changing from 18 to 17 should not change (by much) the rolling diameter, as you'll use a larger sidewall to compensate. Use the compute app on the top of this page to find a 17 application that works within 1% in diameter change.

You cannot use 16' wheels on a 335i, but most 17 inch wheels should fit. Get a set of cheap 17x7.5 and install 215 or 205 winter tires. You have to be careful that brake actually fit within the wheel, they are quite big.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
anerbe
Major
12
Rep
1,248
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 S4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BH, MI

iTrader: (1)

narrower the tire, the higher the grip and less chance for hydroplaning in the slush.

definitely go with 17" smallest/narrowest setup you can fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Pete Schweaty's Avatar
6
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay View Post
just get a winter set......ive picked up 3 sets in the last 3 months, yea i know, rangign from OEM 17" to ASA 18" all with blizzacks, all with what i would call 90% tred.
the OEM i paid $650, the ASA 18" (they are m3 fitment also) were $450.
i also had a set of OZ racing wheels with blizzacks but the tred wasnt up to my liking for $300.
so its not worth it to mount and dismount
check ebay and craigslist
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAmazing View Post
Get some cheap rep winters 2nd hand.
Ive got a set of old e39 m5 reps with toyo garit kx's. I was very please with how the car handles in the snow and how well i was able to get up hills. I live in canada. I drove the car recently up the very steep hill I live on. there was about 2 inches of packed snow under the tires. I had to pass a fwd van on the way up. I dont have awd. 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
speedo should be pretty accurate, its only when you go 19+ its a noticeable difference.

grip isnt much of size but 17" is a more popular winter tire with a square set up. Rims the same width and tires the same width/height.

No alignment is needed for most application.
Thanks for the help. I guess I will go with a dedicated 17" wheel/tire combo.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
FCobra94
Major
FCobra94's Avatar
16
Rep
1,411
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Word. As mentioned, check craigslist. Sonic Tuning had some nice winter packages a short while back too; check the sponsors section. Either that or Tire Rack.
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
Cobb AP|Alpina Flash|VRSF 7" FMIC|VRSF CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI|Bilstein B6|E93 M3 FSB|SP Lowering Perches
Summer: Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10mm rear spacers
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 15mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Gary@TireRack
Moderator
Gary@TireRack's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,467
Posts

 
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Bend, IN, Tire Rack HQ

iTrader: (2)

Direct link to the winter package section of our site :

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...nter/index.jsp
__________________
Gary
Tire and Wheel Forum Moderator. Tire Rack Sales Rep
Gary@Tirerack.com
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&url=index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary' as your previous contact when you order online.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
jippii ensio
Major
13
Rep
1,230
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

iTrader: (0)

205/50/17 w/studs, the car just goes on ice & snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Bronze
First Lieutenant
Bronze's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
388
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Berkley, MI

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've been very pleased so far with my Pirelli Sottozero winter tires. I'm running 225s at all four corners on OEM 162 wheels. We'd had three good snow falls so far this year in Detroit, and the car has done very well (I have a 335i).
__________________
Bronze
2008 335i sedan | black/black | Sport | Premium
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Pete Schweaty's Avatar
6
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all the input. Picking up a set of 17's this week!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Smooth 330i
Major
Smooth 330i's Avatar
17
Rep
1,063
Posts

 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty View Post
Thanks for all the input. Picking up a set of 17's this week!
Winter tires are a must on these cars. With 50/50 balance they are great with snows. 225/45/17 works well on dry and wet icy roads. I have Blizzak LM-25 and love them.
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Pete Schweaty's Avatar
6
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

That's what I am going with. Everyone else in the mid Atlantic . . . You are welcome. I just guaranteed that there will be no more snow this winter!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
FCobra94
Major
FCobra94's Avatar
16
Rep
1,411
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

lol pretty much
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST