E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Forge Motorsport Direct Replacement Bypass Valve Teaser

Closed Thread

08-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTI

Forge Motorsport Direct Replacement Bypass Valve Teaser

I just wanted to give you all an update concerning the direct replacement bypass valves we've eluded to previously.

Unfortunately, as of late, some other development projects have taken a precedent and this project was put on hold for a little while, but we've finally had an opportunity to make some prototypes and we're working on getting them test fit right now.

This shot just shows that we've replicated the clip fitting to mount and secure the valves. We know the hoses don't mount this way.

Obviously, the valves will be offered in pairs.

These valves are very similar to the piston based valves which we quite frequently offer as direct replacements for the OEM Bosch 710 series valves as installed from the factory on many VW's, Audi's, Porsche's, and numerous other applications.

Once released, the valves will be full adjustable by way of interchangeable springs of which can be matched to the boost level of any given application to allow for a wide range of tunability. The reason we don't incorporate an adjustment "knob" is that most other valves that do so also use cylindrical springs that will suffer from limited travel and flow volume once too much preload is added. Using different springs, but with different rates, will maintain full piston travel and flow volume regardless of the spring tension.

The valves are also fully serviceable and rebuildable and carry an unlimited lifetime warranty.

We will likely be able to offer them in a bare aluminum (silver) finish, and possibly black anodized as well, to blend in a little better.

Now, before the influx of phone calls begins, please be aware that these are just prototypes that we need to test fit on a car and beat on for a little while before they are made available. I am guessing it will be at least a month before we can begin production.

The last step is to finalize a method by which to swap our replacement valves into the OEM corrugated tubing. We have a way in which we plan to accomplish this, and it will make install quite easy should it prove 100% effective.

Stay tuned for updates as we near production and release of these things!

Last edited by Mike@Forge; 08-23-2007 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Jaken20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335

i've never had any problems with forge products...

great company.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
elucas730
I'm just here for the turbo
Rep
Drives: 2004 STi, 2007 335i

I suggest getting your vendor status before you advertise.
      08-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep

We won't be selling these valves directly on this site.

We have a number of dealers who happen to already be vendors. The valves will be available through them.

We're here for product support.

I am looking at what arrangements can be made so as not to create any conflict, however.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome Mike!
I sent you a PM.
Are you stalking me?

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

What do these do exactly?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep

As most of you are undertaking other tuning modifications to your cars, specifically chip tuning and raising the boost output, you will likely be raising the boost past a point at which the OEM valves will still be effective.

Either valves may experience a potential "failure" of sorts, most likely a torn diaphragm, or you will be at a boost pressure level beyond the holding capacity of the valve's spring pressure, causing a leak.

As our valves are piston based, there is no diaphragm to fail, and they carry a lifetime warranty against defects and failure anyway.

Additionally, as they are tunable (and the different springs are included), you can use a spring in the valve that most closely matches the specific boost level of your particular application, meaning the valve's boost holding capacity and response will remain ideal at all times (presuming the appropriate spring is installed).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

so far they have held to 15 psi dont think anyones going to be taking it much higher than that

so as long as there not leaking or broken why spend the money (im guessing these will be 150$x2 =300$)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
What do these do exactly?
they be silver
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
namotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Coupe

We are very excited that Forge is releasing this product! We will be the official E90 Post Vendor of this new Forge product!

Forge makes great products and we have been selling their parts for over 3 years now in the Volkswagen, Audi and Mini markets
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
ill volunteer to be a test mule if you guys want... i used to live in orlando and still always up there.
      08-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
they be silver
As I said, we will likely offer them in a Black anodized finish as well.

As for their benefit over stock, again, part of the concern is the reliability of the rubber diaphragms used in the OEM valves. As the stock valves here are identical in construction to the Bosch valves as used on numerous VW, Audi and Porsche applications, and the diaphragms are an extremely common point of failure, our valves will offer significantly improved reliability.

Also, by having the ability to tune the valve with various spring rates, you're not only adjusting the valve's peak boost holding capacity, but it's responsiveness as well. With the potential for having a higher clamping load of a stiffer spring, the valve's recovery time under various on/off throttle transitions and load conditions will improve potentially greatly affecting the boost curve. If there are any situations in which the OEM valves are even partially venting due to insufficient spring pressure for any given load level, the boost curve can sometimes suffer.

Last edited by Mike@Forge; 08-24-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Looks good
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss Racing View Post
Looks good
Thanks!

By the way, thank you very much to everyone who has offered up their cars for testing. It really is flattering and greatly appreciated, however, we already have a couple of test cars lined up. If that changes, however, I'll be sure to get in touch with you guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Forge View Post
but it's responsiveness as well. With the potential for having a higher clamping load of a stiffer spring, the valve's recovery time under various on/off throttle transitions and load conditions will improve
see now thats how you should sell your product, how bout some comparison shots of the internals of stock vs. forge
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep

Think about a thin neoprene rubber diaphragm vs. a billet aluminum piston sealed with Viton, ultra high temp silicone o-rings lubricated with Mobil 1 fully synthetic bearing grease.

All with an unlimited lifetime warranty.

This isn't even remotely new "technology" for us at all. We just haven't done much with the BMW market as turbo's haven't been available in their vehicle lineup before.

We've been innovating numerous piston-based valve products for many many years. We manufacture over 50 unique direct replacement and universal valves for many OEM and custom turbo applications; the widest range of any manufacturer on the market.

Wastegate actuators, boost controllers, intercoolers, other hand fabricated components and silicone hoses are our other major offerings for other applications. We'd like to do more work with the 335 as well, so we'll see where this takes us.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #17
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

ok i admit i just asked because i havent seen the inside of our DVs yet, foiled again
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm pretty sure I have an OEM Bosch valve that's been cut in half back at the shop somewhere. If I can find it, I'll try to get some photos.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #19
de.abeja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan

I am so happy to see that Forge took it upon themselves to make a direct bolt-on part! The first time I popped my hood I knew I was going to replace the plastic jobbers with a pair of Forge valves...whether I had to mangle them to fit or not. Guys these are an absolutely fantastic no-frills improvement over a plastic and rubber BOV.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #20
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep

The install will require absolutely no mangling of any kind, I assure you!

Even those these aren't even in production yet, I've already done the install instructions.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #21
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

i dont suppose they will be cheaper given we have to buy 2 at once and they are smaller than your standard diverted valve
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #22
Mike@Forge
Private
United_States
Rep

These are actually the same size as a number of our other valves, but pricing and packaging hasn't been 100% finalized as of yet. You can likely expect 2 valves (duh), springs for tuning, some other small parts to adapt the valves to the car, and some instructions. Maybe a sticker or two as well.

Forge UK will let us know how to price them once production begins, but the price certainly won't be artifically inflated just because they're for a BMW.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread