E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 328 struts leaking - replace with what?

02-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

328 struts leaking - replace with what?

I did some brake work on my car this week and noticed what looked suspiciously like a leaking front shock. I needed tires and an alignment anyway (possibly from hitting some road debris, a full bumper cover not cleared from the highway after a nighttime accident), so I asked the tire shop to look at the suspension too - Confirmed, two leaky shocks.

So now the question is how do I proceed? I've got stock non-sport suspension. I'm interested in possibly upgrading, but I'm not particularly after lowered ride height or uber-performance. I like to track from time to time, but it's not a race car.

The shop quoted 1050 or so for OEM replacement shocks, mounts, and labor, plus tax - does that seem right?

I'm happy to DIY, provided you all think this can be done within the span of 12 hours or so plus snack brakes, for someone who's very mechanical but hasn't ever done suspension.

If you were in this situation, what parts would you get (mid-grade Koni's? OEM replacement?), would you do rear suspension too, and would you DIY?
      02-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 118i

If you want to keep the stock ride chariteristics look into a pair or set of Bilstien b6 dampers. It is a diy endeavor but it is not a simple task. You will need spring a compressor and will need an alignment after the install. 12 hours is way more than enough time.

Get a Bentley manual if you don't already have one, read it and then decide.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #3
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Looking at those vs the B4, it looks like they're targeted at what I want - a slightly higher performance ride than the stock package, without going crazy low or stiff. I think they'd probably pair pretty nicely with the new tires too, Bridgestone Driveguards. From the VERY limited driving I've done on them tonight, they seem a whole lot better than the Conti ProContact SSR stock rubber - much softer, but they have a pretty grippy positive feel. But then, my old tires were bald, so there's that.

Anyway, there's a considerable price difference between the B4 and B6 - 300 vs 700 for all 4 wheels. Is the difference in feel really worth that delta? Can anyone who's tried either comment?

Also, somewhere in the middle are the Koni STR.T at $460 - anyone have a comment as to how they compare in here?
      02-17-2016, 04:01 AM   #4
david in germany
Lieutenant
Rep

Very sorry, I meant the B4's The B6 are for a more sporty feel. Very sorry for the typo!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Very sorry, I meant the B4's The B6 are for a more sporty feel. Very sorry for the typo!
Ahh yes, okay.

So it seems one avenue might be just get two B4s for the front, then upgrade everything at a later time.

OTOH, if I want a slightly sportier feel now, can anyone comment on STR.Ts vs B6s?
      02-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
david in germany
Lieutenant
Rep

If you were to stick with the B4, you could swap out the front and if you needed to, rears later. If you want the B6, do them all at once. Sorry I can't give you any info on the str. but I can tell you, my B8's feel amazing matched with BMW performance springs on my e87.
Appreciate 0