E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Bad experience with meth?

01-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
emackin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i e90

Bad experience with meth?

Going off a previous thread, iam also curious about running meth. I just want to know has anyone had any bad experiences with running meth. I know meth can be a great power adder, but i also heard if something goes wrong it can fry a lot of things. I also want to know if it something people would recommend installing a my car since it is my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

my only bad experience was a leak in my trunk mount that leaked 2 Gal of 60/40 meth/distilled water over my AMP and i didn't realize it until I got black flagged mid lap on NJ Lightning track with them noticing a stream of liquid pouring out the back of my car

After the guy looking my car over they didn't see anyting wrong and sent me back out to finish my 20min. event... When i parked my car and took my helmet off i could hear my radio buzzing and i knew.... ohhh shit i blew my $700 amp as i ran to open my trunk and there she was... sitting in a pool of meth!

I quickly ran to disconnect my battery hoping no sparks would ignite a flame ball in my trunk but that didn't happen. So I unhooked my amp, let it sit over night and dried everything up as much as I could - Next day everything worked fine Was just a shitty experience and i was forced to use map 1 on the procede for the rest of the two day event... was kinda bummed cuz it felt nothing like a good kick in the pants like map4 on meth was. I could really play with people on the track "Beginners" with meth, but map 1 i really had to work hard just to keep up.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
emackin
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just dont want to do any expensived damage to my car since it is my dd. I was thinking about going bms ww meth kit and i would only use it when i just playing around with other cars on the street when i can quickly switch to map 4 but i dont wanna pay a lot a money because meth screwed my car up haha
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
eric@h
United_States
Rep

Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

As you said, it's a great power adder, but it's not a set-it-and-forget-it type of mod. It's a little more finicky than other mods. If you're committed, then go for it, if you don't want the hassle, look for other mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
emackin
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am on the verge of doing it but just curious as far a long term life of my vehicle and wanted to see if people have some horror stories to tell about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
For the engine itself if its running correctly it enjoys the added benefits of lowering intake temps, combustion temps, and higher octane.

However, methanol system do need to be taken cared for. That means routine check ups, maintenance, and understanding of the entire system.

Majority of issues stem from a bad install.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i

I did a WW kit a while ago and one day I get home and smell some burning plastic smell I almost didn't check because I though it was just hot since it was like 110 degrees out. I open my hood and there a very small flame on the side of the WW. I guess some of the meth somehow came out and it caught on fire. Took the whole kit out the next day. Going with a Trunk Mount kit now. Don't let my experience deter you from getting a kit, Just make sure you get a trunk mounted kit. Meth is amazing when done right.
      05-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
fryeguy
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Any one know what size tank can fit a 335i convertible. I looked at the BMS kit and the 2.2 gallon definitely will not fit. I have a friend who is selling a BMS 1.5 gallon, but is out of state and was wondering if this will fit, prior to him shipping it out. Any inout would be great. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
turugara
Major
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.72]
People tend to cheap out on Meth and install a WW kit. IMO meth isn't something you cheap out on. I installed the 2.2g trunk mount tank with stainless steel lines and AN fittings so there has been absolutely no issues. I also constantly monitor the meth levels and fittings to ensure that there are no leaks.

If done correctly, Meth is great. If done incorrectly, Meth can be a disaster.

Do it right the first time. Invest in quality parts, trunk mount, AN fittings, and do some routine maintenance. You'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
my only bad experience was a leak in my trunk mount that leaked 2 Gal of 60/40 meth/distilled water over my AMP and i didn't realize it until I got black flagged mid lap on NJ Lightning track with them noticing a stream of liquid pouring out the back of my car
That was scary. I remember when that happened. You got VERY lucky. I bet if you had track pads and braked hard on turn 1, sparks from the pads would have been very very bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
As you said, it's a great power adder, but it's not a set-it-and-forget-it type of mod. It's a little more finicky than other mods. If you're committed, then go for it, if you don't want the hassle, look for other mods.
+1

you never really know if it's going to be 100% all the time, flow is the biggest variable that I have seen, but... when it's full flow, it's a tremendous gain and it cleans carbon out of your engine too!
      05-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara
Quote:
That was scary. I remember when that happened. You got VERY lucky. I bet if you had track pads and braked hard on turn 1, sparks from the pads would have been very very bad.
Yeah I know how lucky I was... Considering they pulled me off about halfway through the 20 min session... That means I was driving hard for another 10 min with a ticking flame thrower in the back ... I'd like to forget that experience!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Casshern
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i

I'm pretty sure there will be more talk on this subject as the day wears, but I recall not too long ago reading a whole thread about an engine replacement due to a failed meth kit. Doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or another, just providing information. If i can find the thread, I will relay it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 X6 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X6  [0.00]
I too was skeptical about running meth. I knew that no matter what, a trunk mount was the way to go.

I decided to pull the trigger on the BMS 2.2 gallon trunk mount kit because the majority of mods were already completed on my check list and I was looking for the additional power.

I can honestly say that I am happy that I am running it. I had a few issues with the install and troubleshooting with the BMS meth kit. For example the solenoid that was in the BMS kit (brand new) was bad. The line lock did not work and when dynoing I wound up spraying meth everywhere because the line blew. Within 24 hours of driving the car after install, the pump died and wasn't spraying anymore.

The shop where I ordered the kit from (directly from BMS) was outstanding in getting everything corrected and BMS was also great in providing support and sending new parts.

Running meth is a lot of fun and I would recommend it. Just make sure you know what you are doing.

I was also at the track day when Slops meth tank leaked onto his amp. That was a scary time for him and everyone else. Even despite seeing that, I ordered a meth kit and ran it.........because racecar
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
Bobby_Sardells
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Special Ed.

Garage List
I think people have had worse luck with poorly installed charge-pipes! At least a trunk mount meth system wont do any serious damage if it leaks or comes lose (not that there is any excuse for a poor install)
Go for it! Help your mechanic out if you go to one and if you do your homework you will notice if he is doing anything wrong
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

It was determined to be a bad connection on my meth tank that tucked out a bit when hitting mad Gs around the lightning circuit! The tank was not 100% secured from moving around and it was my mistake for not wanting to drill holes to secure it. There was another solution that I went with but wasn't enough for track use. I've ran that setup for months without issues which is why I was confident running it at the track.

Moral of the story is to secure that tank so it does not move an inch under any circumstance. It may be all that's needed to pull a fitting loose and flood ur trunk
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.72]
Quote:
It was determined to be a bad connection on my meth tank that tucked out a bit when hitting mad Gs around the lightning circuit! The tank was not 100% secured from moving around and it was my mistake for not wanting to drill holes to secure it. There was another solution that I went with but wasn't enough for track use. I've ran that setup for months without issues which is why I was confident running it at the track.

Moral of the story is to secure that tank so it does not move an inch under any circumstance. It may be all that's needed to pull a fitting loose and flood ur trunk
Even better reason to use stainless steel lines with AN fittings that screw in tight.
I should get referral commission...

I've got mine bolted to the car AND have a elastic band holding it. Hasn't moved an inch since installed with some mad G's around the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara
Quote:

Even better reason to use stainless steel lines with AN fittings that screw in tight.
I should get referral commission...

I've got mine bolted to the car AND have a elastic band holding it. Hasn't moved an inch since installed with some mad G's around the track.
Thataboy Stevo
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #19
rattmobbins
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by emackin View Post
Bad experience with meth?
All these folks had a pretty bad experience...

Appreciate 0