E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > HS2 - proposed plans

01-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
FRG530
Lieutenant

Drives: F10 530d

HS2 - proposed plans

I've been looking at these plans that have come out for the West Mids to Leeds route. I'm a bit shocked to be honest. The proposed route is less than half a mile to where we live now and within about 500yds of a property we rent (in a neighbouring village) which was an intended retirement fund, maybe not now!

Anyone else have any concerns over it? It looks like it's going ahead but I suppose the plans are only proposed but they'll have spent a lot of money getting to this stage so can't see them changing much
      01-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
peterg1965
Brigadier General

Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport

I wouldn't worry too much, it's not as though there is going to be shovels in the ground any time in the next ten years! Where I live now a bypass has been talked about, planned, approved, back to public consultation, appealed, re planned, consulted, approved again....etc etc.....and that is over 20 years and still no signs of a new road!
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
      01-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
coopersim
Captain

Drives: VW Lupo

I feel very sorry for anyone who is going to be affected by this, and I can't for the life of me work out why shaving minutes off the journey time between major cities is worth 29bn.

Luckily for me, it's gone the other side of Sheffield, so it won't personally affect me.

It's only an hour and a half to London from my local mainline station - this is a healthy enough time in my books.
coopersim is offline   United Kingdom
      01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, even if everything is signed off its predicted to take 20years!!! I doubt very much it will ever happen, just the way things work in the UK....In a way its hard to know if that is a good thing or not, other parts of the worlds have managed huge transformations in the last 20 years, in 10 years I've lived in the midlands the most exciting new thing to be built is a Johnlewis

When I left Shanghai in 1990 the tallest building on the "bay front" was built by the British/French from the colonial days (the building with the clock tower in the top picture), now its not even visible....clearly the progress in China comes at a cost, but 20 years(if it ever happens) to build a single railway line seems just a bit slow compared to what is going on in Asia as a whole.

Last edited by gangzoom; 01-29-2013 at 04:07 AM.
      01-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
mowflow
Colonel

Drives: F20 125d

Wow. Glad we are not at that end of the development scale. That's scary.

I've not paid much attention to this HS2 stuff. Saw it on the news the other day though and it seemed a bit mental. Stations for cities 20 minutes outside the city negating any benefit of a high speed link.

As others have said, it won't happen any time soon if at all. Just look at the Edinburgh tram fiasco. Less complicated yet still a total disaster.
      01-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
FRG530
Lieutenant

Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
That's unbelievable! You can only still see the two on the bottom left.

Like people have said, it'll probably never happen. I hope not for a mate's sake, it's about 50m from the front door of his farm house and runs straight through an awful lot of his land.
      01-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Dubai 1990, 2005, now. I personally find the atmosphere for development/change in the up and coming countries to be quite addictive. Me and my wife are seriously thinking to emigrating to Asia in the next few years, cannot see how Europe can compete with the Asia in 30-40-50 years...have to take the 335 with me of course since local taxes on foreign cars are horrendous ..I doubt in 5 years time plans for HS2 would be any future along

01-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Guvernator
Captain

Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

As others have said I wouldn't get unduly concerned. It took them 3 years just to widen a stretch of the A406 near me and change the traffic lights, every time I drove past there was never anyone working, just a sh*t load of traffic cones. That was just the building part, I don't even know how long it's been in planning.

Good for you in this case as you'll probably be dead by the time they eventually get around to it but bad from the UK's point of view IMO. Why do we take sooo long to do anything in this country? The rate of change in a lot of other countries is astonishing, I can barely recognise most places that I visit if I've not been for a year. Yet another area where the UK is way behind the so called developing countries.
      01-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
106turbo
Boost Junkie

Drives: 106 Gti T

Hs2 route from the drawings looks as if it comes within about 150m of our house

I probably wont live here when its built but still it'd be crap if my parents retirement home was affected by the new route.

Currently 311bhp Atf.. Soon to be 300bhp Atw

E91 320D Workhorse
106turbo is offline   United Kingdom
      01-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
AlanQS
Colonel

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
An interesting bit that's emerged (don't know if it's actually true though) is that funding of this railway line is provided by UK taxpayers. Scottish taxpayers share of the total is about 3 billion and the new line stops 100 miles short of the Scottish border!?

Oh, that's right, the Scots are infamous money grabbers, aren't they?...
      01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
fulcrum
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 330 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
An interesting bit that's emerged (don't know if it's actually true though) is that funding of this railway line is provided by UK taxpayers. Scottish taxpayers share of the total is about 3 billion and the new line stops 100 miles short of the Scottish border!?

Oh, that's right, the Scots are infamous money grabbers, aren't they?...
I would not worry about it. You Scots will have declared independence and have gone bankrupt by then. So you will not be paying.
fulcrum is offline   United Kingdom
      01-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Which would mean that HS2 could be cancelled to pay for the Scottish bailout..
      01-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
CarAbuser
Captain

Drives: E89 Z4 35i

The actual cost is thought to be more like 47billion. The 32billion the government quoted will be about as accurate as the Olympic budget.

I personally think there's better things we could be spending the money on.
CarAbuser is offline   United Kingdom