E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > PLEASE PLEASE HELP! What is this noise?

04-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
ssmith96
Banned

Drives: 07 328xi

Send a message via AIM to ssmith96
PLEASE PLEASE HELP! What is this noise?

This metallic rattling sound comes out of my AC when it uses outside air only I believe, its very low but its annoying the hell out of me. Only hear it above the 3rd speed setting for AC

http://cl.ly/2l0r252M0O0a

Thats a link to listen or download, its easier to hear at the :13ish mark but ignore the air as best you can and listen for the rattling and you should hear it without an issue.

Thanks so much,
Scott
ssmith96 is offline   United_States
      04-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
WOT Bimmer
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith96 View Post
This metallic rattling sound comes out of my AC when it uses outside air only I believe, its very low but its annoying the hell out of me. Only hear it above the 3rd speed setting for AC

http://cl.ly/2l0r252M0O0a

Thats a link to listen or download, its easier to hear at the :13ish mark but ignore the air as best you can and listen for the rattling and you should hear it without an issue.

Thanks so much,
Scott
Are you referring to the "chirping" sound? If so, you need to drop the blower motor (super easy <5min DIY) and put some oil around the circled part in the below picture.

The hardest part of the DIY is getting the blower detached from the locking pin. It's super easy, just make sure to spin it the correct way (I can't recall if it was counterclockwise or clockwise). Just search for the DIY in the DIY section.

Name:  m59HddD0sH8We6rY0nfgAIw.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  16.2 KB

*EDIT* You may have to do this process a couple of times. I did it twice before mine stopped chirping.
      04-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 328i

Use ZoomSpout Turbine Oil.... Ace Hardware $2