E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Little Tiny Scratches...

01-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
DVaughan
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335xi

Little Tiny Scratches...

Okay this may just be my imagination but am I the only one who keeps getting the same little scratches over and over again?

On both sides of the car, on the rear quarter panel, between the back tire and the tail light, at about the same height as the gas tank door, I have a bunch of very fine scratches. Admittedly they are hardly noticeable (except by me ) and not much to worry about... but still aggravating. It looks to me like they are probably just a result of sand or gravel that gets caught up in the air flow around the car but comes into contact with the body at the back end. I would bet that if you could see the car in a wind tunnel that there is turbulent air on that rear quarter panel.

I have a 2011 335xi Sedan. It is Black Sapphire paint and shows every speck of dust... but damn it looks sweet when it is clean..... I usually wash it and dry it by hand and then wipe it down with a spray wax called "Lucas Quick Mist". The wax hides the scratches pretty well but for just a few dollars I do know a guy at a local body shop who could polish them away 100%... but if this is a problem that is going to come right back why bother?

Am I alone on this one?
      01-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Welcome to black colored cars
      01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

Improper washing. Use a high quality soap with a lambs wool wash mitt. Something like a uber wash mitt and lusso Oro soap. Use a foam gun to Pre wash and then when drying get rid of most of it with a electric leaf blower and then use Adams detail spray and then use a high quality drying microfiber.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post
Improper washing. Use a high quality soap with a lambs wool wash mitt. Something like a uber wash mitt and lusso Oro soap. Use a foam gun to Pre wash and then when drying get rid of most of it with a electric leaf blower and then use Adams detail spray and then use a high quality drying microfiber.
that's a bit over the top for most people who have jobs and responsibilities outside of the detailing world.

Get a good wash mitt (I personally use the carpro. Cheap enough [$20] that you don't have to worry about just throwing it in the washing machine, but good enough that it will hold up for a year of regular washes), some decent soap, and two home depot buckets, and you should be good to go.

grit guard helps, but it's not necessary if you're willing to use both hands and scrub the mitt with your free hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
DVaughan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post
What color does the lamb need to be and what is the "proper" brand of leaf blower?

So then my feeble attempt at proper washing is only a problem in a very specific area on the rear quarter panels?

When I said "hand wash" I wasn't meaning FLESH... Obviously there is a some pre-wash rinsing, buckets, mitts, and microfiber towels. Once the car is clean I then rub the car vigorously with my genitals and wax liberally.....

I was looking for info about scratches that keep coming back in the same spot not a critique from "the lord of the wash".

Last edited by DVaughan; 01-30-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
DVaughan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
that's a bit over the top for most people who have jobs and responsibilities outside of the detailing world.

Get a good wash mitt (I personally use the carpro. Cheap enough [$20] that you don't have to worry about just throwing it in the washing machine, but good enough that it will hold up for a year of regular washes), some decent soap, and two home depot buckets, and you should be good to go.

grit guard helps, but it's not necessary if you're willing to use both hands and scrub the mitt with your free hand.
Good tips though I am not sure what a grit guard is... I do have a clear mask on the front end and the front looks great. There is a lot of sand on our roads around here.... snow and all....

Last edited by DVaughan; 01-30-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
slider86
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 M-Sport 328i xDrive 6MT

Any leaf blower works...

Grit guards are plastic inserts you put into your wash bucket that'll trap most particles in the bottom of the water, which your mitt can't get to since the guard will block it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Bah I don't wanna hear it. You know what you're getting into when you get a BSM car. Could be worse, you could have a Jet Black car!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
DVaughan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider86 View Post
Any leaf blower works...

Grit guards are plastic inserts you put into your wash bucket that'll trap most particles in the bottom of the water, which your mitt can't get to since the guard will block it.

Ahhh... Grit Guard.... A fine idea!
      01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
DVaughan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Bah I don't wanna hear it. You know what you're getting into when you get a BSM car. Could be worse, you could have a Jet Black car!
Not only do I have a black car but I live in the desert... We average almost 100 as a daytime high from June thru August. At least my other car is a WHITE '78 Fiat 124 Spider convertible... The bimmer likes the garage in the summer time.

Last edited by DVaughan; 01-30-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
alex2364
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm betting it's the spray from the rear tires when you're accelerating. We just had a snow storm and there's a lot of sand on the roads here. I can the see the sand spray in the same area of my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Sethism
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 328i Xdrive Coupe

It might be from people walking between cars in the parking lot brushing past it. Try parking in lower foot-traffic areas of the lot and see if it happens less.
      01-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
RaddM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 F82 MG

Just keep it waxed and spray the quick detailer on after every wash. Those corner panels hold the majority of the dirt and get scratched easy. Clean soft wash mitts are a must! If you let some yahoo put a buffer on your black car who doesn't know what he is doing, your gonna hate yourself. I'm sure all the Mexicans at the carwashes are highly trained