E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange Noise From Speakers After LCI Headunit Upgrade [PICTURES AND VIDEO INSIDE]

01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
mxchris727
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 with 3 pedals

Strange Noise From Speakers After LCI Headunit Upgrade [PICTURES AND VIDEO INSIDE]

Hello all,

After replacing my head unit with a used LCI one due to a failing LCD display, a weird feedback-type noise could be heard from the speakers. There is always a noise when the CAN-bus is active and more so when the stereo is turned on. You can even hear a CD spin up. When I first installed the stereo, these noises where present but could barely be heard. Over time, they became worse and worse. However, when I reinstall the original unit, the noises disappear.

I have successfully coded the new stereo to the VO (vehicle order) using NCS Expert. My guess is that there is a grounding issue. If you look at the pictures, the original one says "12V D.C. Negative Ground" and the new one does not.

Here's the thing: If I disconnect then reconnect the new stereo, the noise almost goes away for a few days. It will come back.

What do you think?

Old stereo:

New Stereo:

Video: (Click to watch)
I have a workstation set up with DIS, TIS, SSS, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 with an K+D CAN interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car. ISTA/D + /P with an iCOMM interface finally here!

Last edited by mxchris727; 01-31-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Appreciate 0