E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How old are you guys?

02-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #111
Otruba_843
Major

Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
It's 55 lol after you done doing the division and multiplication you have to do the subtraction in order from left to right. I made a mistake saying 95 lol
God don't we all suck at Algebra. I was never good at PEMDAS for some reason and I have no clue why. Reminds me of how much I hated factoring too
      02-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #112
DaFuqBro?
Private First Class

Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95
For all you older guys complaining theres a lot more young guys on here than you would think. I know of quite a few and the most interesting part is a lot of them are some of the major contributors to the forum and the most helpful.

I've posted this before only when asked but I guess i'll post it here too in case anyone in the thread has wondered and didn't want to ask. I'm 17 and when we bought the car it was used with 47k miles for under 30k. Basically my family needed another car and knowing I would be driving soon they let me have input as to what to get. I begged and researched some 335's until I finally found one that was right which is what we now have. Since 22k was the original budget I had to pay the rest with money i've saved up over a long time.

In regards to mods, I have to pay for all of those and maintenance. I work at a Liquor store in my town 2 days a week at $10 an hour and do some extra side jobs here for cash. Just sent payment to get OSS lights and now saving up for valve cleaning, msport, and exhaust. After that i'm going to hopefully be done and have a chance to start saving my money.

I'm in no way trying to brag like the some of you think but just trying to explain my situation and maybe prove some of you wrong in the process. Just because someone is young and drives a nice car does not mean they are a spoiled brat and irresponsible. It's like the saying "don't judge a book by its cover." You should wait until you know the person to make a conclusion. I know a variety of different kids with nice cars and some deserve them and are great kids while others are completely spoiled brats and are not grateful of what they get at all. If I told all of you some of the stories of kids at my school you would be amazed... Anyways, congrats on the new car OP! Enjoy it and be safe!
+1 THANK GOD somebody who understands. I'm easily one of the most responsible people of my friend group, and I think it says a lot that my dad let me drive his Benz to school on the first day of my licensure. Just because I'm young, doesn't mean I'm clueless, and it certainly doesn't make me a bad driver, a trip up Angeles crest would be pretty good evidence to that. With all that said, I'm starting to regret ever making this post
|Saddle Brown Leather | ZSP | ZPP | Logic 7 | Mtec V3 AE |3M Matte Silver Full body wrap | VMR V721 | Hankook Ventus V12 | Blacklines | X1 Steering wheel trim | BMW Performance Exhaust | Replica M3 Front bumper
      02-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #113
tofu-
Banned

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
A 4.05 weighted GPA is terrible.... Don't see why your parents would reward you for that.
i guess that'd be the equivilant of a 3.5

which is a B+ i think?

edit: i'm not sure how anyone graduates with a legit 4.0 GPA. a single A- would set you back at 3.9xx, and there is no way to fix that.

if you seriously graduated with a perfect A in every course for all 120+ credits (average in most US colleges), you damn well deserve a BMW.
      02-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #114
GChase
Captain

Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu-
Quote:
A 4.05 weighted GPA is terrible.... Don't see why your parents would reward you for that.
i guess that'd be the equivilant of a 3.5

which is a B+ i think?

edit: i'm not sure how anyone graduates with a legit 4.0 GPA. a single A- would set you back at 3.9xx, and there is no way to fix that.

if you seriously graduated with a perfect A in every course for all 120+ credits (average in most US colleges), you damn well deserve a BMW.
Well he's talking about high school, and most high schools in my area don't have A-'s or B+'s. They're just A's or B's, with an Unweighted A being worth 4 and a B being worth 3. Still, in his system, getting straight B+'s isn't worthy of getting rewarded with a BMW.

I'm a senior and I have an unweighted 4.00. I'm taken 10 APs, and the rest are honors. I paid for 1/3 of my car, have a job, and play two sports.. Plus my drive to school is 70 miles round trip so a 328i was a reasonable car to get in my situation.
GChase is offline   United_States
      02-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #115
psmitty95
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Well he's talking about high school, and most high schools in my area don't have A-'s or B+'s. They're just A's or B's, with an Unweighted A being worth 4 and a B being worth 3. Still, in his system, getting straight B+'s isn't worthy of getting rewarded with a BMW.

I'm a senior and I have an unweighted 4.00. I'm taken 10 APs, and the rest are honors. I paid for 1/3 of my car, have a job, and play two sports.. Plus my drive to school is 70 miles round trip so a 328i was a reasonable car to get in my situation.
70 miles round trip? That's insane! That's about equal to a commute from my town to NYC which is around 30-45 minutes each way. Must be a pain... Haha I thought I lived far from school but I guess not
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
      02-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #116
GChase
Captain

Quote:
Quote:

70 miles round trip? That's insane! That's about equal to a commute from my town to NYC which is around 30-45 minutes each way. Must be a pain... Haha I thought I lived far from school but I guess not
Haha yeah I don't mind driving at all. It takes about 35 mins to get there. Heck it's better than last year when the bridge I used got closed for the year, so there was only one main bridge left, making my drive to school an hour and 15 mins every day
      02-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #117
psmitty95
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Haha yeah I don't mind driving at all. It takes about 35 mins to get there. Heck it's better than last year when the bridge I used got closed for the year, so there was only one main bridge left, making my drive to school an hour and 15 mins every day
Haha that's crazy. I assume you have to wake up really early to get there?
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
      02-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #118
GChase
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Haha that's crazy. I assume you have to wake up really early to get there?
Last year I had to wake up at about 5:45 but this year it's about 6:30 so not too bad. I got the car with 67k miles in June of last year, and now I have 82k so I'm racking up the mileage haha.
      02-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #119
dton90
BMW M335is SN654 M3iS :]

Drives: e92

02-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #120
Catalina Wine Mixer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 09 335i Coupe White/Coral Red

Garage List
2009 335i  [3.63]
2008 328i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post

It's 55.
its over 90000000
| 09 335i Coupe | Alpine White/Coral Red | M Sport | 6mt | Premium | Logic7 | 19" Beyern Mesh | 20% Tint | LUX Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Black Kidney Grill | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1 | M-Pedal Set | Painted Side Reflectors | Rear Lip Spoiler | Euro Front Plate | Passport 9500ix | BIM Coded |
Who is John Galt??
      02-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #121
SoGood
Banned

Drives: TIAG E90 328i

20 now, bought the car when i was 19. Paid off.
BTW, no mommy and daddy didnt buy it for me.(i know someone gonna ask me) Ive been working since i was 14 and invested my money. While many of my friends were out getting drunk, i work my ass off.

Last edited by SoGood; 02-02-2013 at 04:01 AM.
      02-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #122
hickoryE92
First Lieutenant

Drives: Black E92 335i

20... I can relate to some of the guys on here I guess, but I also am disgusted by the older guys that get pissed off that some of us younger guys are fortunate enough to have these nice cars. For the guys that don't understand how lucky they are to have this great of a car at this young of an age and take it for granted, well shame on you. But plenty of us have worked hard with our jobs and/or school and have either deserved our car or just got plain lucky but realize this and appreciate it.

Some of the older guys need to appreciate that age is not the only factor that determines your worth on this planet. I go to Wake Forest University and I didn't get in this university because I sat on my ass. I worked my tail off all throughout my life in the educational sense and yes, I've also had a few jobs for extra money on the side. Am I lucky to have parents that could help me pay for my education and car, no doubt... but I will NEVER take that for granted. Never. I'll be the first to admit that I came from a fortunate background where my parents valued education and were able to give me nice things and put education and a strong work ethic in the foreground, but they also instilled important values in me, including education, which is why I am so lucky to find myself at one of the top universities in this country. This shouldn't, however, take away from all the work I have put forth on my own to be where I am today. Infact, if anything, it put me at a disadvantage when applying to colleges and I had to overcome this by being above and beyond what the "average" student had to be.

So I'll be the first to stand up against the prejudice that regularly occurs on these forums against the younger crowd. But I will also be the first to admit that I DESPISE the people that are lucky enough to get nice things and take them for granted, but realize that this also happens with people that are older as well. I'm sorry for the long rant, but someone needed to stand up for those of us out there who were lucky enough to have an "easier" way of obtaining these amazing machines, but nevertheless still "deserved" them (if that is what you want to call it).
      02-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #123
Vic311
Banned

Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Vic311 is offline   United_States
      02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #124
DaFuqBro?
Private First Class

Okay, several things here. That's all wonderful that you're an amazing student, but that doesn't seem remotely possible for you to be taking 10 APs with the rest being honors. Typical school day only has 6/7 periods. Plus, it's also not possible (atleast where I am) to take APs or honors in your freshman year, also making me wonder if your claim to all of your other classes being honors is even possible. Second, that's great that you have supposedly a 4.0 unweighted, but that's not necessary for Cal Poly which is my #1. Third, you said that you paid for a third of your car. I'm going to take a wild guess that a teenager isn't financing his car and say that the other two thirds are coming from your parents, which when you break down the costs and all, proportionally, I've already almost paid for a third of my car. Just because you're apparently perfect, doesn't mean you have the right to say people don't deserve things cause they didn't do what you did. You are the kid that people think of when they hear about a teenager driving a BMW, cocky, braggish, and arrogant beyond belief. Just give it a break and go enjoy your car that you worked SO DAMN hard for.
|Saddle Brown Leather | ZSP | ZPP | Logic 7 | Mtec V3 AE |3M Matte Silver Full body wrap | VMR V721 | Hankook Ventus V12 | Blacklines | X1 Steering wheel trim | BMW Performance Exhaust | Replica M3 Front bumper
      02-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #125
reelop19
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325i

Shit I wish mom and dad bought my 325i. I would've saved a sh!tload of money. In fact I wish I had a sugar momma
      02-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #126
E46M54325Ci
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapptastic View Post
Lol I see you've done your research... I'm curious as to what you mean with the part about posting what I'm driving. Are you saying people on the forum are gonna come track me down or something? How is that a bad idea? I've actually been driving for much longer than I've had my license, but I guess that's beside the point. I must say though that its nice to see someone have something constructive to say. I appreciate it
Edit: also the late night forum stint was basically to keep me awake while writing an essay, otherwise there's not a chance in hell I would've made it haha
Haha, I couldn't resist. I had the (retrospectively) unfortunate experience of going to law school. It's not the forum people you have to worry about...it's the outsiders. If you were to get into some trouble later on... driving too fast, reckless driving anything like that, people could theoretically search these forums. If there's anything the safety nazis like bashing on more than drunk drivers it's 17 year old boys driving too fast in nice cars. It's remote-and likely wont ever happen-but the internet is forever and crazier stuff has happened, especially lately with all these news stories where people have been "found" online.

Perhaps most relevant to you, I recently saw a story on the news where college admissions officers had befriended people on facebook to see what their friends (who were applicants) were doing and then browsed around other sites for info. It's crazy and absurd, but as a society we've gotten to the point where we can't deal with people having private lives. So, just try to guard what you say.

If it were me, I'd say something like, "...yea I went 110 (or 150) out in the middle of nowhere, it was awesome, nobody around." That way I'm covered-110 what, where is nowhere and how do you define its middle?

I understand you may have been driving for a while, but 110 in a car you basically just got can be risky- especially since I am assuming in that 3 week period you weren't out in the middle of nowhere. I've had my Cayman for 4 months and I still haven't gone that fast or as fast as I'd like. That's because I haven't really been able to get out of LA, and there really isn't anywhere safe in this town to do that. It's not you or me or the car, it's all the random things and people that happen on our roads here.

As for the essay part- no comment!
      02-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #127
DaFuqBro?
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci
Quote:
Lol I see you've done your research... I'm curious as to what you mean with the part about posting what I'm driving. Are you saying people on the forum are gonna come track me down or something? How is that a bad idea? I've actually been driving for much longer than I've had my license, but I guess that's beside the point. I must say though that its nice to see someone have something constructive to say. I appreciate it
Edit: also the late night forum stint was basically to keep me awake while writing an essay, otherwise there's not a chance in hell I would've made it haha
Haha, I couldn't resist. I had the (retrospectively) unfortunate experience of going to law school. It's not the forum people you have to worry about...it's the outsiders. If you were to get into some trouble later on... driving too fast, reckless driving anything like that, people could theoretically search these forums. If there's anything the safety nazis like bashing on more than drunk drivers it's 17 year old boys driving too fast in nice cars. It's remote-and likely wont ever happen-but the internet is forever and crazier stuff has happened, especially lately with all these news stories where people have been "found" online.

Perhaps most relevant to you, I recently saw a story on the news where college admissions officers had befriended people on facebook to see what their friends (who were applicants) were doing and then browsed around other sites for info. It's crazy and absurd, but as a society we've gotten to the point where we can't deal with people having private lives. So, just try to guard what you say.

If it were me, I'd say something like, "...yea I went 110 (or 150) out in the middle of nowhere, it was awesome, nobody around." That way I'm covered-110 what, where is nowhere and how do you define its middle?

I understand you may have been driving for a while, but 110 in a car you basically just got can be risky- especially since I am assuming in that 3 week period you weren't out in the middle of nowhere. I've had my Cayman for 4 months and I still haven't gone that fast or as fast as I'd like. That's because I haven't really been able to get out of LA, and there really isn't anywhere safe in this town to do that. It's not you or me or the car, it's all the random things and people that happen on our roads here.

As for the essay part- no comment!
Oh okay. That's a actually kind of a relief. I was thinking you were implying someone would see my car and go key the crap out of it lol. Yeah I totally understand. I will say though that it was a completely open road in the middle of the night where I went 110. That's not a typical thing, and it really wasn't intentional, more of just an " oh shit I'm going 110" moment. oh and you might be surprised to hear this, but the 145 on the 405 was with my dad in his E55 haha. Such a good influence...
      02-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #128
Propagator
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Wow, 6 pages on yet another "how old are you" thread.

Does any one of these ever get started by anyone over the age of 20?

Who gives a shit how old you are, unless you are one of those 20 year old asshats in a blacked out 335i (bought used of course) driving like you own the road, in which case I only hope there's no collateral damage when Darwin catches up with you.

But if you are a nice kid enjoying a nice car, I couldn't care less how you got it and what you think about your or other owners' age. All this age crap is just another symptom of our cars being perceived by superficial douches as "the symbol of success". If you drive a BMW because you are a real car enthusiast who loves cars, I fail to see any reason why you would care about anyone's age.
      02-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #129
GChase
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapptastic
Okay, several things here. That's all wonderful that you're an amazing student, but that doesn't seem remotely possible for you to be taking 10 APs with the rest being honors. Typical school day only has 6/7 periods. Plus, it's also not possible (atleast where I am) to take APs or honors in your freshman year, also making me wonder if your claim to all of your other classes being honors is even possible. Second, that's great that you have supposedly a 4.0 unweighted, but that's not necessary for Cal Poly which is my #1. Third, you said that you paid for a third of your car. I'm going to take a wild guess that a teenager isn't financing his car and say that the other two thirds are coming from your parents, which when you break down the costs and all, proportionally, I've already almost paid for a third of my car. Just because you're apparently perfect, doesn't mean you have the right to say people don't deserve things cause they didn't do what you did. You are the kid that people think of when they hear about a teenager driving a BMW, cocky, braggish, and arrogant beyond belief. Just give it a break and go enjoy your car that you worked SO DAMN hard for.
Sorry, one typo drastically changed the meaning of my response. It should be "I've* taken" not "I'm taken." And yes, I've taken 10 in high school. You are correct that you can't take any freshman year. I took 1 Soph. year, 3 junior year, and I'm taking 6 currently. The rest of my classes are honors. Please just ask if you'd like me to bore you with my exact schedule.

For your third point, it's completely normal for upper middle class parents to pay for your car. But mine also wanted to teach my responsibility at the same time. They didn't really want to spend over $10k, so they told me they'd double what I paid.

Congrats for your ad hominem at the end there, really proved your point by saying I'm a Dbag. My point was your parents got you that car because they could financially, which is fine. But, no parents would reward a kid for almost straight B's with a nice BMW.
      02-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #130
Catalina Wine Mixer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 09 335i Coupe White/Coral Red

Garage List
2009 335i  [3.63]
2008 328i  [2.75]
I am young too did 54 in 25, reckless driving never drove faster after that again I look back at all the stupid shit I did and can't believe I had the audacity to some some of the stuff I did...one could say I used to be the typical bmw d bag. On a side note I feel like this whole thread is for 25 and under
| 09 335i Coupe | Alpine White/Coral Red | M Sport | 6mt | Premium | Logic7 | 19" Beyern Mesh | 20% Tint | LUX Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Black Kidney Grill | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1 | M-Pedal Set | Painted Side Reflectors | Rear Lip Spoiler | Euro Front Plate | Passport 9500ix | BIM Coded |
Who is John Galt??
      02-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #131
E46M54325Ci
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
oh and you might be surprised to hear this, but the 145 on the 405 was with my dad in his E55 haha. Such a good influence...
I figured as much. I'll give him a pass because I know how intoxicating that kind of acceleration can be. BTW...good luck with Cal Poly. I did my freshman year there. great place. I hear it's gotten very hard to get into.
      02-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #132
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i E92 6MT

I value experience more than anything. Young drivers always think they're the shit but they fail to understand that experience is needed (along with a certain amount of skill) to be a "good driver".