E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > where to get / make methanol?

01-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
thetryal
Dude, Boost My Car?

Drives: 07 E90

where to get / make methanol?

I am awaiting my meth kit...WHOO HOO.

I am thinking of making the meth by using 1oz of HEET to 1oz of water. This will run about 5 bottles of HEET + 60oz water (120 oz). it will give me just shy of a full gallon and run about ~$6 per gallon.

I had thought of using windshield washer fluid but most are 70% water / 30% meth.

I would like to run at least 50% meth and no more the 70% meth.

Another thought I had was denatured alchohol but i was reading it is ~90% ethanol and 10% meth.

any other thoughts, advice?
      01-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
stratplaya06
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 335xi

I just got my meth kit about two weeks ago, and I have been running 2 bottles of heet per tank, and then topping the rest off with blue washer fluid.

I am trying to find bulk 5 gallon buckets of methanol for a good price, but the shipping costs are very prohibitive.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
stratplaya06 is offline   United_States
      01-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
thetryal
Dude, Boost My Car?

Correct my math if I'm wrong. Wouldnt 4 bottles oh HEET plus 70/30 washer fluid be 50/50. I understand this would give u just shy (176oz) of 1.5 gal (192oz)
      01-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
themyst
Major General

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Send a message via AIM to themyst
heet is nowhere as good as pure methanol. The problem is you don't know how long it's been sitting on the shelf (usually a long ass time) and the shelf life of the stuff (especially in thin plastic bottles) is not really good. I get worse ignition timing and even some knock at 16psi on Heet.

It's ok in a pinch, but I would recommend finding a VP or Sunoco dealer and buying a 5 gallon drum of meth and mixing with that. Your local drag strip should also sell methanol really cheap. Get two 5 gallon gasoline canisters and fill them up.
      01-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
thetryal
Dude, Boost My Car?

Do u think most race tracks have Meth ? I'm about 5 miles from Texas motor speedway.
      01-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
themyst
Major General

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetryal View Post
Do u think most race tracks have Meth ? I'm about 5 miles from Texas motor speedway.
call them and find out! I bet they do.
      01-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
Shellacked135i
Banned

Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Worst case denatured alcohol from home depot.

Or seek out a local hotrod shop for methanol.
      01-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
335xiRT1
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 135i

bump

Last edited by 335xiRT1; 08-06-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: wrong
      01-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Stangorang
Major

Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiRT1 View Post
i go to a local speed shop and buy for $50 a 5 gallon drum of 100% methanol.

then i add distilled water to make a 70/30 mix

How long will it take you to use all that up? Isn't that thing just absorbing water now that you have opened it up, unless it has an amazing seal.
Stangorang is offline   United_States
      01-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
335xiRT1
Lieutenant

Last edited by 335xiRT1; 08-06-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: wrong
      01-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
335xiRT1
Lieutenant

Last edited by 335xiRT1; 08-06-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: wrong
      01-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
thetryal
Dude, Boost My Car?

i called tons of places in fort worth / dallas and no one seems to have meth. I can get a 55 gallon drum for $135 but that'll take me forever to use. plus it would be hard to explain that to the wife.

how would i use denatured alcohol? do you need to mix it? would it be better than using windshield wiper fluid?
      01-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Shellacked135i
Banned

Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Quote:
i called tons of places in fort worth / dallas and no one seems to have meth. I can get a 55 gallon drum for $135 but that'll take me forever to use. plus it would be hard to explain that to the wife.

how would i use denatured alcohol? do you need to mix it? would it be better than using windshield wiper fluid?
Just buy a gallon at home depot. Mix it with distilled water.

Remember a 70/30 mix is by weight, not by ounces.

Quote:
What Type Of Fluids Can I Use With My Water Methanol Injection System?

Pure Water

For beginners the most basic fluid you can run with your water methanol injection system is pure water. Unfortunately the use of pure water injection is all to often over looked as an option, as many believe they must have some percentage of methanol in the mix in order to be beneficial. This is completely untrue. While not as effective as blends of water and methanol. Pure water injection can be used when other solutions are not available.

water injection distilled waterAdditionally, pure water injection may actually be preferred over mixes containing methanol or pure methanol. For example, when working with carbureted applications we recommend running pure water injection or water with very little methanol (less then 20%) vs. mixes containing larger percentages of methanol or pure methanol.

Unlike EFI applications, with carbureted applications we can not easily compensate for large amounts of additional fuel (methanol) being injected into the engine by a water methanol injection system. Therefore, we will run pure water injection so as not to effect the air fuel ratio. Thereby, not complicating the tuning process and continuing meter the engines air fuel ratio primarily through the carburetor.

Tip: With carbureted applications, we want to meter air fuel ratio primarily through the carburetor. However, most carbureted forced induction applications will tend to gradually lean out as the engine runs up. A water methanol injection system can also be used as a tool to add a little extra fuel to the top end when needed by increasing the methanol percentage in the mix.

Furthermore, it seems many people are still miss informed of the benefits of pure water injection. Often times we hear people referring to pure water injection as only offering the benefit of cooler air charge temperatures with no added increase or effect to octane. This is untrue. Water is a very "effective" octane enhancer. While it's not a high octane fuel as methanol and does not burn as part of the combustion process. Water is a remarkable anti-detonant. Thereby allowing engines running pump gas to withstand higher boost levels, hotter air charge temperatures and cylinder pressures without the onset of detonation. For more information about water injection and it's effects read our article "116 octane With Water Injection".

Best of all, water costs very little. When using water it‘s important to use distilled water and not tap water. Tap water contains to many minerals and will clog your system over time.

Methanol

Methanol of course is another fluid which can be used with our water methanol injection systems. Either in pure form or mixed with water. Generally most users will run some type of water methanol mix. The most popular mix is 50/50. That is mixing 50% water with 50% methanol by volume. Not only does this make mixing easy, it's more affordable then using pure methanol and more importantly it's non-flammable. For most gasoline EFI forced induction applications, we recommend a 50/50 mixture.

methanol drumsThe use of pure methanol is also quite common amongst users. With no water in the mix, users are able to run significantly higher amounts methanol through the engine. When running pure methanol it will make your air fuel ratio go very rich in which you will need to reduce fuel through the ECU to compensate for it. Technically, we are unlimited to how much methanol we can spray, as we are simply swapping one fuel for another.

Locating pure methanol can be difficult. Most race tracks, such as drag strips, sprint car tracks and go kart tracks, sell methanol. If you live near any them try them first. Additionally, many dyno shops have been found to carry it as well as performance speed shops. Try calling VP Fuels to see if there is a shop in your town which carries it. Other places you may try are hobby shops which sell remote controlled gas powered airplanes and cars and suppliers of industrial chemicals. If still no luck try one of the following online sources in which you can buy 5 gallon drums and have shipped to your house.

Online Sources For Buying Methanol:

Hyperfuels
World Wide Racing Fuels

flammable fluidsIt's important to point out not all water methanol injection system can use 100% methanol. Our systems are designed for use with 100% methanol. Additionally, when running pure methanol we highly recommend upgrading from our standard high temp plastic lines to our stainless steel hose. Methanol is an extremely flammable fluid and users should take extra precautions when using it.

Windshield Washer Fluid

Windshield washer fluid has quickly become one of the most popular fluids used in water methanol injection systems and for good reason. For starters, it's extremely affordable costing anywhere between $1.00-$1.70 per gallon and can be located in most auto parts stores across the states.

windshield washer fluid water methanol injectionUnfortunately, not just any type of windshield washer fluid can be used. When shopping for a windshield washer fluid it's important to find of washer fluid rated for at least -20 degree's below zero as it will contain a large percentage of methanol mixed with water. Additionally, be sure to check the bottle and that it contains methanol as there are some eco-friendly windshield washer fluids rated below zero which do not contain any methanol which you do not want to use.

Most washer fluids rated between -20 and -35 degree's below zero contain between 30-40% methanol. When working with a particular windshield wiper fluid it's always a good idea to check it's MSDS sheet as this will tell you exactly what it contains and how much. To do this simply go the manufactures website as they often times list the MSDS sheets on their website or you may do a search on the internet.

Its always a good idea to also first check the MSDS sheet of the windshield washer fluid you are going to use to verify exactly what it contains. Some washer fluids will contain additional additives in very small percentages (less then 2%)

Heet

heet methanol water injection additiveFound in just about every auto parts store across the states. Heet is a gas-line antifreeze & water remover designed for cold weather starting, preventing gas line freeze ups and for removing moisture from your fuel system. Heet is essentially 12 oz. of pure methanol and works as a great as a kicker to windshield wiper fluid, generally costing only $1.50 per bottle, when users want to increase the methanol content.

Basic mixing instructions are as follows. Take for example 1 gallon of negative -20 degree below zero windshield washer fluid, which is approximately 30% methanol 70% water. By adding four 12oz bottles of Heet, to the one gallon of windshield washer fluid will give you a 50/50 mix of water and methanol.

Denatured Alcohol

denatured alcoholWhen all else fails another fluid you can use and count of finding locally with no problem is denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol can be purchased at any Home Depot, Lowes and many other home improvement stores and is located in the paint department.

What is denatured alcohol you ask? Denatured alcohol is generally 90% ethanol with 10% methanol added to it to render it undrinkable for human consumption. While ethanol does not offer as good of a cooling effect as does methanol. Ethanol does have more power per unit volume then methanol. However, methanol is still the preferred choice over the two alcohols.

Isopropanol

rubbing alcohol isopropanol methanol injectionIsopropanol, commonly referred to as rubbing alcohol, may also be used in your water methanol injection. While we haven't personally performed any testing using it, we have heard of many using it with great success. Isopropanol is much more expensive then other forms of alcohol costing upwards of $100.00 per gallon. Additionally, its generally only 70% pure containing 30% water.

Due to it's high cost and being hard to find in large quantities, we do not recommend isopropanol to be used by exclusively. However, we can see isopropanol working well as a kicker to windshield washer fluid when users want to increase it's alcohol content as it can be purchased in small quantities for fairly inexpensively.

Pre-mixed Water & Methanol

We're often asked by customers if we sell pre-mixed water methanol mixes as offered by other competing companies. The answer is NO. While this is convenient, we feel there are much more affordable solutions to these expensive pre-mixed water methanol solutions. Additionally, by the time you add shipping your looking at paying $60.00 for basically two gallons of methanol and two gallons of water. Lets face it your really paying $60.00 for two gallons of methanol. Not only are there are many other more affordable solutions. It doesn't make sense to ship water around.
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html
      01-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
thetryal
Dude, Boost My Car?

shellacked,

great info!!! thanks
      01-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
I just got my meth kit about two weeks ago, and I have been running 2 bottles of heet per tank, and then topping the rest off with blue washer fluid.

I am trying to find bulk 5 gallon buckets of methanol for a good price, but the shipping costs are very prohibitive.
I'm in MD, in Frederick. There are two speed shops in Frederick that carry VP M1 methanol, and then there is a Sunoco in Myersville that carries race gas (100 and 104 octane) and also carry World Wide Racing's methanol (non-lube for our cars), http://www.worldwideracingfuels.com/.

If you are not near Frederick, call or email VP Racing Fuel Altantic. With your zipcode they can tell you if there is a local distributor to grab the 5 gallon cans from:

VP-Atlantic

Newark, DE
Phone: 302-368-1500
Fax: 302-368-1869
vpatlantic@vpracingfuels.com
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
      01-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
thetryal
Dude, Boost My Car?

Im in FT Worth TX. I called VP and the closest place is 3 hours away. i just checked wordwide racing and the shipping is $45....yeesh more than the 5 gallons
      01-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Quote:
Im in FT Worth TX. I called VP and the closest place is 3 hours away. i just checked wordwide racing and the shipping is $45....yeesh more than the 5 gallons
That's horrible. I looked at sunoco and nothing comes up within 50 miles of ft worth:

http://www.sunoco.navisite.com/index.html
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
      01-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #18
Chefcg1
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I have a pretty neat Meth calculation spread sheet that has the amount of meth in most window washer stuff and pretty much lets you figure out your mixtures. I can't seem to upload it to the forum, but if anyone is interested PM me with a valid email and I'll send it to you. Below are some screen shots of each of the tabs in the file.

2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Copilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Chefcg1 is offline   United_States
      04-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
smellylawnmower

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I want that sheet!! Try Motorsport Sales in Dallas. I got my ear talked off but pretty decent place. Cool guy runs it.
      04-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #20
tc535i
Captain

Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Does meth take on water in storage like ethanol does? I know that's an issue long term for ethanol.
      04-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #21
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
or you can buy boost-juice and have it shipped.
      04-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #22
Chefcg1
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Holy post resurrection......I still have my meth calculation sheet if any one is interested pm me with your email and I'll get it to you.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Copilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Chefcg1 is offline   United_States