E90Post

Supreme Power Parts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Getting My Carbon Cleaning Under CPO!!!

08-27-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
gavronm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Getting My Carbon Cleaning Under CPO!!!

My CPO warrantied 2011 335d just turned over 62,000 miles and has never had a carbon cleaning. I've been anxiously awaiting the appearance of the SES light and lo and behold about two weeks ago that glorious amber text illuminated in my dash. I pulled the codes and smiled - 459B (rough controller cyl. 5) and 4B15 (zero mass adaptation cyl. 5).

I emailed my SA, gave him the codes, sent him a copy of SIB 11-03-14, mentioned degraded performance and poor MPGs, and flatly stated that I thought it was carbon build up and wanted them to do everything they could to get me a cleaning. He was appreciative of my enthusiasm (his words) and assured me they would.

Two days later I got the good news - cleaning approved and covered under CPO warranty. I asked for before and after pics. The before pics came today.

Can't see cylinder 6 but cylinders 1 and 5 look to be the worst - 5 being the cylinder that threw the codes.

The intake manifold was sent out for sonic cleaning before they snapped the pics, but I'll post all the after pics when they arrive.

I only bought the car this past February with 57,000 miles, so I've only known it in its choked up state. My average mileage with about a 50-50 city/highway mix was only 24 mpg (hand calculated) with a best of 32.7 mpg on a 350 mile highway trip. Very excited to see how the performance and efficiency changes once all that crud is removed.

Will update the thread as things progress.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 02:05 AM   #2
Chief Orman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm
My CPO warrantied 2011 335d just turned over 62,000 miles and has never had a carbon cleaning. I've been anxiously awaiting the appearance of the SES light and lo and behold about two weeks ago that glorious amber text illuminated in my dash. I pulled the codes and smiled - 459B (rough controller cyl. 5) and 4B15 (zero mass adaptation cyl. 5).

I emailed my SA, gave him the codes, sent him a copy of SIB 11-03-14, mentioned degraded performance and poor MPGs, and flatly stated that I thought it was carbon build up and wanted them to do everything they could to get me a cleaning. He was appreciative of my enthusiasm (his words) and assured me they would.

Two days later I got the good news - cleaning approved and covered under CPO warranty. I asked for before and after pics. The before pics came today.

Can't see cylinder 6 but cylinders 1 and 5 look to be the worst - 5 being the cylinder that threw the codes.

The intake manifold was sent out for sonic cleaning before they snapped the pics, but I'll post all the after pics when they arrive.

I only bought the car this past February with 57,000 miles, so I've only known it in its choked up state. My average mileage with about a 50-50 city/highway mix was only 24 mpg (hand calculated) with a best of 32.7 mpg on a 350 mile highway trip. Very excited to see how the performance and efficiency changes once all that crud is removed.

Will update the thread as things progress.
lucky bastard
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Just had my 2010 done with 69k miles. I knew it was coming because it wasn't as responsive, more lag with the power and a decrease in mileage. Just got her back and all I can say is wow, feels like a new engine! Dealer said if I didn't have CPO, it would cost $1,700
      08-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
Mik325tds
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

These top ports do look bad. Worse than mine with 97k miles. Can you please inquire on the looks of the tangential port of cylinder 6? Mine was completely clean to begin with. Would like to know if others experience the same.
Appreciate 0