E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help! Breaking down while driving

04-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
supremesriracha
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Help! Breaking down while driving

Hello again everyone! I recently posted about some issues I was having with my 2007 328i getting occasional "Malfunction in Drive" and "DSC Malfunction" errors.

These errors have since gotten worse, sometimes not even allowing me to turn the car on, and other times almost completely shutting down the car while driving.

Yesterday I got several errors on my driveway when trying to turn the car on, and eventually attributed it to a bad battery. I got the battery replaced, and the car ran well for a day, and then today I had it shut down on me twice while driving.
The car will usually only shutdown when speeds are around less than 50mph. It will start with a DSC malfunction, and disabling power steering and all acceleration. When I am able to stop, I will get the following errors:

Sometimes I am able to restart the car right away with no problems, but other times I will get this error:

After I get that error it with again cycle through the first three, and will take me about 5 minutes before I can restart the car normally.

Also, today for the first time I got a "Start Off Assistance Inactive" error, but was unable to get a picture of it.

The car is not storing any codes. I have gotten it checked several times and there is no sign of this happening. I ordered a code reader of my own, which will be coming in tomorrow, however I don't know if the codes will be accurate, since these errors seem to be random.

I don't believe that there are any real issues with the transmission. Occasionally the car will surge a bit, or it might feel like a gear is slipping, but other than that the ride is perfectly smooth.

Something else worth mentioning is that BMW issued a recall on some of the electrical wiring that affects my car, and I do plan to take it to a dealership to get that fixed, but being Sunday, I cannot do that currently.

Has anyone else experienced this strange set of errors. I am at a loss, and cannot find anyone else affected by the same problems.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
GMe90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [5.00]
I had the DSC malfunction when the tire shop screwed up my wheel alignment badly. It went away as soon as it was fixed. It was scary when the light came on as I was in the left lane on a highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
supremesriracha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMe90 View Post
I had the DSC malfunction when the tire shop screwed up my wheel alignment badly. It went away as soon as it was fixed. It was scary when the light came on as I was in the left lane on a highway.
So you think just getting it aligned could fix it?
Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
GMe90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremesriracha
Quote:
So you think just getting it aligned could fix it?
Thanks for the response!
It did for me. My alignment was so bad that my steering wheel was off center when I was driving straight though. The wheel would be turned slightly to the right to drive straight.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
DarkNemesis
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car

Did you register the new battery?
What battery did you put in?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
supremesriracha
Rep

Quote:
It did for me. My alignment was so bad that my steering wheel was off center when I was driving straight though. The wheel would be turned slightly to the right to drive straight.
Well that's very good to know. I may try that next. My steering doesn't seem to be off-center, but I suppose it's possible if it's detecting something off it could be causing problems. Thanks again for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #7
supremesriracha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Did you register the new battery?
What battery did you put in?
I did not know the new battery needed to be registered, so no.
I forget exactly which one, but made sure it was the same size and the CCA matched the BMW stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:21 AM   #8
Levanime
Not Registered
Georgia
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
yeah you need to register it, for proper charging
check voltages

also wheel aligment

but if battery is ok, then it could be ptcan communication error, has your transmission been removed recently? there is connection in the hose which sometimes is getting bad when removing transmission or disconnecting it
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 05:15 AM   #9
whiteblue
www.echoes.gr
Austria
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Your car thinks the wheels spin at different speed. The tranny probs and engine stalls are due to an ABS sensor that is sending corrupt readings. Change the sensor and the DSC issues will be gone. There is no error code stored in memory because the car has no reason to distrust the sensor readings.

The fuel pump error is a different animal.
      04-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
supremesriracha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteblue View Post
Your car thinks the wheels spin at different speed. The tranny probs and engine stalls are due to an ABS sensor that is sending corrupt readings. Change the sensor and the DSC issues will be gone. There is no error code stored in memory because the car has no reason to distrust the sensor readings.

The fuel pump error is a different animal.
Very good to know. Is there a different ABS sensor for each wheel, or just one for the front, and one for the back?

And if the car thinks my wheels are spinning at different speeds, then why would it give me the errors when trying to restart my car when it is not moving? You would think since the wheels aren't moving it should be able to start fine.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport AW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremesriracha View Post
Very good to know. Is there a different ABS sensor for each wheel, or just one for the front, and one for the back?

And if the car thinks my wheels are spinning at different speeds, then why would it give me the errors when trying to restart my car when it is not moving? You would think since the wheels aren't moving it should be able to start fine.

Thanks!
Register your battery first and see if that fixes anything. There is a wheel speed sensor for each wheel which it uses for traction control logic.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
supremesriracha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
Register your battery first and see if that fixes anything. There is a wheel speed sensor for each wheel which it uses for traction control logic.
Everything I've seen indicates that registering the battery is only necessary to get the best life out of your battery. Do you think it's possible for it to cause the issues I described?

And if I were to get it registered, would an independent shop that specializes in BMWs be able to register it, or does that have to be done by BMW?
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
335xs2dinan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi

Quote:
Everything I've seen indicates that registering the battery is only necessary to get the best life out of your battery. Do you think it's possible for it to cause the issues I described?

And if I were to get it registered, would an independent shop that specializes in BMWs be able to register it, or does that have to be done by BMW?
Thanks!!
bmw specialized indy shops can do it
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport AW/CR

Quote:

Thanks!!
Even though I've never needed to replace a battery on my car everything I've read points to many system malfunctions if the battery is low. Therefore I would always register the battery just so you can rule that out as one of the possible causes. Having a strong battery is vital to having all your sensors work properly. Do you know if the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) cable has been replaced under recall? I think it affected the earlier 07/08 cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #15
supremesriracha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
bmw specialized indy shops can do it
Perfect. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #16
supremesriracha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
Even though I've never needed to replace a battery on my car everything I've read points to many system malfunctions if the battery is low. Therefore I would always register the battery just so you can rule that out as one of the possible causes. Having a strong battery is vital to having all your sensors work properly. Do you know if the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) cable has been replaced under recall? I think it affected the earlier 07/08 cars.
That makes sense. It really does seem electrical to me because when it happens it all just seems so random. And like I said before, when things work, they work perfectly.

And I haven't seen anything about an IBS recall, but I will certainly check into it.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0