E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil level sensor faulty??? Please Help!

03-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
paco89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Oil level sensor faulty??? Please Help!

Hi guys just trying to get some information. Basically recently the dealer did an oil pan gasket and a valve cover gasket on my car. I remember checking and my oil was at max right outside the dealership. I have put maybe around 300 miles or less since i got this done and today the oil light came on while driving. I usually carry oil in my trunk so i added maybe around 3 or 4 qts. I checked the oil again and STILL the readings are the same! Low... Is this a sign that the sensor failed? Did i now overfill my engine with oil? Is it leaking it excessively and im missing it?? I will call my dealer on monday and have them check over their work. Anyway just upset its 1 more problem i didnt want to deal with. Also would it throw a trouble code i could scan? Any ideas will be thanked!!
Attached Images

Last edited by paco89; 03-07-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
ctuna
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The oil sensor usually takes it time to update

The oil sensor usually takes it time to update.
Sometimes more than 20 minutes.
You probably have seriously overfilled it.
(unless the dealership was incredibly negligent)
The only way to know how much is in it without a dipstick
is to empty it an measure the amount of oil unfortunately.
I thought Inpa could display the oil level some how without having
to wait.
I wouldn't drive it till you know whats going on .

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post8951807

Last edited by ctuna; 03-07-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 01:47 AM   #3
brycielago
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i

Bring it back to the dealer. They did a botched job and they should also answer for it
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Have towed back to the dealer. Do not drive it. You never add more than one quart of oil an E9X engine when you get the "+1Qt" notification. Unless the dealership way under filled the crankcase and you added in 3 or 4 quarts (not sure why you don't know) the engine is probably 2 or 3 quarts over filled. You do not want to run the engine under this condition.

Search forum on how the oil level sensor work. There is plenty of information on here about it. Search my threads. I constantly write threads to explain how it works.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
ColoCoug
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 328xi Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco89 View Post
Hi guys just trying to get some information. Basically recently the dealer did an oil pan gasket and a valve cover gasket on my car. I remember checking and my oil was at max right outside the dealership. I have put maybe around 300 miles or less since i got this done and today the oil light came on while driving. I usually carry oil in my trunk so i added maybe around 3 or 4 qts. I checked the oil again and STILL the readings are the same! Low... Is this a sign that the sensor failed? Did i now overfill my engine with oil? Is it leaking it excessively and im missing it?? I will call my dealer on monday and have them check over their work. Anyway just upset its 1 more problem i didnt want to deal with. Also would it throw a trouble code i could scan? Any ideas will be thanked!!
If you dump in 3 or 4 quarts on a whim, you really need to learn something about cars. Everything above is correct. Don't start it, the engine is probably serious over-filled and can be damaged by running it.

Read your owner's manual to find out how the oil sensor works. Also search threads here.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
paco89
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCoug View Post
If you dump in 3 or 4 quarts on a whim, you really need to learn something about cars. Everything above is correct. Don't start it, the engine is probably serious over-filled and can be damaged by running it.

Read your owner's manual to find out how the oil sensor works. Also search threads here.
I know well enough about cars, at that moment, it caught me by surprise so while on the highway. Not thinking all that right i used the oil in my trunk it was more like 2.5 qts that i used now that i payed close attention to the bottle and now that i have emptied out the oil and refilled it on the car. I know how the sensor works, i know how it reads and what parameters it uses. I also know that an overfilled engine can creat problems, and even make the oil pan gasket leak again...now news. Thanks anyway
      03-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
paco89
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Have towed back to the dealer. Do not drive it. You never add more than one quart of oil an E9X engine when you get the "+1Qt" notification. Unless the dealership way under filled the crankcase and you added in 3 or 4 quarts (not sure why you don't know) the engine is probably 2 or 3 quarts over filled. You do not want to run the engine under this condition.

Search forum on how the oil level sensor work. There is plenty of information on here about it. Search my threads. I constantly write threads to explain how it works.
It did get overfilled about 2 qts, i ended up emptying out the oil and refilling. The sensor went bad on it. I don't have an owners manual, but i know now how the sensor works. I guess i should given it more thought before adding more than 1qt. My assumption was, its reading very low oil, add oil until i reach max....ofc it was vague, but at that moment it made more sense having to stop driving on the hwy...
      03-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It did get overfilled about 2 qts, i ended up emptying out the oil and refilling. The sensor went bad on it. I don't have an owners manual, but i know now how the sensor works. I guess i should given it more thought before adding more than 1qt. My assumption was, its reading very low oil, add oil until i reach max....ofc it was vague, but at that moment it made more sense having to stop driving on the hwy...
The oil sensor only reads the level of the top quart of oil, not the whole 7 quarts that is the capacity of the engine.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #9
Foxes
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

Hey guys, I've been following this forum for quite some time however never really posted. I've just recently bought myself an 07' E92 335i, which I can say has been nothing short of a dream to drive. Mileage is fairly low for an 8 year old car, sitting at just over 40k miles.

Just recently i've experienced an issue with my oil level sensor. It seems to have crapped out and constantly displays an <Inactive> on my instrument cluster. The last time it worked, which was over a month ago I remember the oil reading just a bar below full. However if I were to go over to the Idrive system and check on my oil level, it still gives me a reading of a bar below full and there appears to be no errors or warnings.

Can the Idrive system still provide me with an accurate measurement of my oil level or is it tied to the one on the instrument cluster.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
paco89
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXXY View Post
Hey guys, I've been following this forum for quite some time however never really posted. I've just recently bought myself an 07' E92 335i, which I can say has been nothing short of a dream to drive. Mileage is fairly low for an 8 year old car, sitting at just over 40k miles.

Just recently i've experienced an issue with my oil level sensor. It seems to have crapped out and constantly displays an <Inactive> on my instrument cluster. The last time it worked, which was over a month ago I remember the oil reading just a bar below full. However if I were to go over to the Idrive system and check on my oil level, it still gives me a reading of a bar below full and there appears to be no errors or warnings.

Can the Idrive system still provide me with an accurate measurement of my oil level or is it tied to the one on the instrument cluster.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!
I think they use the same sensor, i dont see how u can get 2 dif readings...try draining it out and see how much you have and go from there, might as well replace the sensor while at it.
      03-11-2015, 01:58 AM   #11
Foxes
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Quote:
I think they use the same sensor, i dont see how u can get 2 dif readings...try draining it out and see how much you have and go from there, might as well replace the sensor while at it.
Yeah, I just went down to pick up the spares. Thought i'd do the whole routine maintenance at the same time. Oil change, plugs, cabin filter and air filter. Can't wait to get her all preppy tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
Foxes
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Here's an update guys, I got a new OLS installed along with fresh oil and new plugs. Car ran great for about 2 days. Went back to start her up in the morning and saw the dreaded "INACTIVE" again. Shop has tried jetting the contacts with cleaner but then problem still persists. CBS was reset with the oil and plugs, any chance the OLS requires coding?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:55 AM   #13
Foxes
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

An update for anyone else in this situation. Got the car fixed, appears the water pump was on its way out. I've read this somewhere before that the OLS and water pump run in conjunction with one another to give an accurate reading of both the oil level and oil quality, with the latter hinging on the water pump.

Tell tale signs before this happened was that I could hear the radiator fans at full swing constantly, it was as though the thermostat was stuck open.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxes View Post
An update for anyone else in this situation. Got the car fixed, appears the water pump was on its way out. I've read this somewhere before that the OLS and water pump run in conjunction with one another to give an accurate reading of both the oil level and oil quality, with the latter hinging on the water pump.

Tell tale signs before this happened was that I could hear the radiator fans at full swing constantly, it was as though the thermostat was stuck open.
I don't think this is correct. Neither the Bentley service manual or several other documents on the N52/54 and the OZS (BMW's term for the oil sensor) I have has mentioned such a relationship. I've worked on both systems on my car independently and neither was affected by the other. And generally when the t-stat is stuck open the engine is over cooled and the radiator fans would not run as much because more volume of coolant is being passed through the radiator of a given period of time, but cooling requirements are also affected by speed and ambient temperature, traffic, etc.

The only possible relationship is indirect between the two parts (WP and oil sensor) where the oil temperature needs to reach a minimum temp before the CBS can determine the oil level. If there was some way the water pump was over cooling the engine and keeping the oil temperature too low, but usually a water pump failure is where it allows the engine to overheat.

But I could be wrong and your car may have been built entirely differently than all the rest of the E90s.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-25-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #15
Foxes
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I don't think this is correct. Neither the Bentley service manual or several other documents on the N52/54 and the OZS (BMW's term for the oil sensor) I have has mentioned such a relationship. I've worked on both systems on my car independently and neither was affected by the other. And generally when the t-stat is stuck open the engine is over cooled and the radiator fans would not run as much because more volume of coolant is being passed through the radiator of a given period of time, but cooling requirements are also affected by speed and ambient temperature, traffic, etc.

The only possible relationship is indirect between the two parts (WP and oil sensor) where the oil temperature needs to reach a minimum temp before the CBS can determine the oil level. If there was some way the water pump was over cooling the engine and keeping the oil temperature too low, but usually a water pump failure is where it allows the engine to overheat.

But I could be wrong and your car may have been built entirely differently than all the rest of the E90s.

This thread from 1addicts seems to explain that correlation between the two

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286886

Similarly in my case, the water pump appears to hinge heavily on the oil level sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxes View Post
This thread from 1addicts seems to explain that correlation between the two

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286886

Similarly in my case, the water pump appears to hinge heavily on the oil level sensor.
Well, your link could be more internet hyperbole, where the op misunderstood the tech's explanation. Your original post conveyed that the WP and the OZS have work together to determine the oil level. As I said in my response, other than the WP (indirectly) controlling oil temperature, it is unrelated to the OZS.

Since I'm interested I'll take a look at the Bentley and see if it mentions a diagnosis where the WP is running constantly and causing a low oil temp condition of such temperature that the oil sensor would read inactive. I'll also check to see if there is a WP code for a pump that constantly runs; I don't recall seeing one. I'd have to say the N54 must have one excellent cooling system to be able to get the oil temperature cooled down enough that it would affect the operation of the OZS.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #17
Foxes
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

The word I got from the shop was that my new OLS was fine, they narrowed it down to the water pump, after dropping in the new one everything seemed to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #18
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Septa

check the dickstick asap before you keep driving
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #19
Dc2denis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xiiiiiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybingo View Post
check the dickstick asap before you keep driving
This guy is funny. I had the same problem. Try cleaning the sensor and around it, problem went away after a good clean for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #20
Wilt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
I guess i should given it more thought before adding more than 1qt. My assumption was, its reading very low oil, add oil until i reach max....
I don't have an owners manual, but i know now how the sensor works. I guess i should given it more thought before adding more than 1qt. My assumption was, its reading very low oil, add oil until i reach max....ofc it was vague, but at that moment it made more sense having to stop driving on the hwy...
Go ONLINE to one of several places including here http://www.bmwsections.com/docs/
to find the year and body type owner manual for your car!

It is why Google and Bing and Ask exist...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
paco89
Lieutenant
Rep

My sensor decided to come back to life on its own...started by reading at "half" on oil reading so i didnt get the stupid warning of low oil anymore, then it went back up to normal and "max" oil reading...why? i have no fckn clue...it just did, hasnt failed since. This all happen maybe by putting around 300 miles on it since it started acting weird.
      Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #22
ZNITE
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Oil sensor reset

I have the same problem...if you're from Austin,Texas go to Das Autowerks...after a lot of try and error...Kit (mechanic) was able to fix my problem...he said the car needs a software update for it read.
Appreciate 0