E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 330i DISA Problem.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
monkey_wrench's Avatar
No_Country
10
Rep
660
Posts

Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
330i DISA Problem.

Had been noticing some reduced power in the <4K rpm range, and some rattling, much like engine knock.

Read up on it, and found a few threads about DISA issues, somewhat matching my findings. So I pulled #1 today:



Valve missing!

Managed to salvage this from the aft section of the intake manifold.



Only thing missing is the top pin portion. I will be pulling my manifold off entirely in an attempt to find it. I think if anything, it went down in the manifold, but may be interfering with DISA #2.



More parts to order.

FWIW, 127K miles.


***Update - took the manifold off, and found the piece missing. Shook it out, and put the manifold back on. Not a bad job, about 2 to 2.5 hours to remove and reinstall.

Last edited by monkey_wrench; 09-22-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
2,122
Posts

Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Wow. Would never have suspected that... Yikes!
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
monkey_wrench's Avatar
No_Country
10
Rep
660
Posts

Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot
Wow. Would never have suspected that... Yikes!
Me neither. A bad motor perhaps, but not this!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Volasko
Major
Volasko's Avatar
Canada
33
Rep
1,218
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Glad nothing made it into the engine! Did your car throw any codes? How much did a new DISA valve cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
28
Rep
2,422
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Whats DISA? where did you take that part from (first photo)?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Johnny D
Major
Johnny D's Avatar
21
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
Just like on the e46 DISA valves you need to be sure to check them periodically. I have seen grenaded m54's due to a small piece of the valve going through the valves and into the combustion chamber.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
2,122
Posts

Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Whats DISA? where did you take that part from (first photo)?
I'm quite surprised you don't already know givin how long you've been here and your post count. DISA valves are flaps in the intake manifold that change the resonance properties of the intake. The second picture is the actual flap which belongs inside that square in the first pic. There are two of them, a large one and a small one located on each side of the intake manifold. They open at set rpm: the first at around 3000rpm and the second at 4500rpm. Your 330 is equipped with these from the factory. 325s did not have them. This was one of the main differences between the two cars and the primary reason the 330 was more powerful and torquey.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
28
Rep
2,422
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I'm quite surprised you don't already know givin how long you've been here and your post count. DISA valves are flaps in the intake manifold that change the resonance properties of the intake. The second picture is the actual flap which belongs inside that square in the first pic. There are two of them, a large one and a small one located on each side of the intake manifold. They open at set rpm: the first at around 3000rpm and the second at 4500rpm. Your 330 is equipped with these from the factory. 325s did not have them. This was one of the main differences between the two cars and the primary reason the 330 was more powerful and torquey.
Yeap first time I hear about DISA valves but thanks for the explanation. I learned something new today..

I wonder if there is a way to check these?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
index1489
Colonel
index1489's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,161
Posts

Drives: Out of warranty BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
Just like on the e46 DISA valves you need to be sure to check them periodically. I have seen grenaded m54's due to a small piece of the valve going through the valves and into the combustion chamber.
They improved the part, I think the E46 design had metal in it, this type of failure is not very common.
__________________
Gotta pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
2,122
Posts

Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
They improved the part, I think the E46 design had metal in it, this type of failure is not very common.
Well it is plastic and lots of heat cycling will weaken it. Knowing BMW's track record with plastic. I'm not surprised. I'm gonna check mine as I'm having a power hiccup right when the first DISA valve opens.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
KUSH
Enlisted Member
Australia
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: MY 08 325i M Sport/Innovations
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

When I had trouble with mine it threw a code. Luckily it wasn't broken off but the motor had no resistance.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
monkey_wrench's Avatar
No_Country
10
Rep
660
Posts

Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Whats DISA? where did you take that part from (first photo)?
Right above the throttle body on the intake manifold
Remove your air box, tubing up tot he throttle body, and then remove 4 torx and it's out. The secondary one though will be the problematic one, it will most likely require you to remove the intake manifold altogether.

I spoke with the parts guy at BMW about it, and BMW has improved the design over the E46 ones, which used a metal clip to hold the valve in.
He told me they usually don't see these things fail like this, but as posted before, the motor failures, or seal failures.
Having said that, the current part number for the DISA valve is the 3rd revision on it.

I had no codes, as the base of the unit was still there, and as far as I know, the motor was still turning.
I noticed lag below 4K rpm, and an intermittent rattle.



Here's my valve and the parts I retrieved from the intake.

My new DISA is on order and I'll install it Friday night when I get back in town. I am driving the car in the mean time, it runs just fine, but as before, seems to lag just a bit below 4k rpm.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
8
Rep
714
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE

iTrader: (2)

How many miles do you have on your ride ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
28
Rep
2,422
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
Right above the throttle body on the intake manifold
Remove your air box, tubing up tot he throttle body, and then remove 4 torx and it's out. The secondary one though will be the problematic one, it will most likely require you to remove the intake manifold altogether.

I spoke with the parts guy at BMW about it, and BMW has improved the design over the E46 ones, which used a metal clip to hold the valve in.
He told me they usually don't see these things fail like this, but as posted before, the motor failures, or seal failures.
Having said that, the current part number for the DISA valve is the 3rd revision on it.

I had no codes, as the base of the unit was still there, and as far as I know, the motor was still turning.
I noticed lag below 4K rpm, and an intermittent rattle.



Here's my valve and the parts I retrieved from the intake.

My new DISA is on order and I'll install it Friday night when I get back in town. I am driving the car in the mean time, it runs just fine, but as before, seems to lag just a bit below 4k rpm.
Thank you monkey wrench! I wonder how mine are?

How many miles do you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
jeguth1s's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

For everyone who can't read, he has 127K miles.
__________________
Bilstein+Eibach, UUC F&R sways, Powerflex bushings, PE+Supersprint 2nd cat delete, Euro Intake+Silicone Intake hose, SS Brake Lines
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
Zajac1
First Lieutenant
Zajac1's Avatar
Poland
4
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I'm quite surprised you don't already know givin how long you've been here and your post count. DISA valves are flaps in the intake manifold that change the resonance properties of the intake. The second picture is the actual flap which belongs inside that square in the first pic. There are two of them, a large one and a small one located on each side of the intake manifold. They open at set rpm: the first at around 3000rpm and the second at 4500rpm. Your 330 is equipped with these from the factory. 325s did not have them. This was one of the main differences between the two cars and the primary reason the 330 was more powerful and torquey.
can u show me on pic how looks those disa valves ??
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
78
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

I have same symptoms. looks like I have a new project for tomorrow, pull manifold.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
78
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Follow up, to my post above. Pulled entire manifold, very oily inside. When I sat it down there was literally a puddle. The big DISA was soaked, so was the small one, both flaps were intact but the green seal around the flap was missing pieces. Both flaps were open and would not move (normal from what I have seen). Suspect CCV oil separator is bad. Still no clue what is making my rattling noise. The metal throttle body butterfly valve was dirty too, burnt on oil. Should that thing be closed when removed? Mine has a small gap between body and butterfly, and doesnt close fully unless I push it manually.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
smellthebeans's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,554
Posts

Drives: LPCs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California Central Coast

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
I would take the car to a mechanic. But, since your there (already pulled the manifold) you can replace the DISA regulators, the external oil separator, and associated piping/tubes.

If your have not done so yet, I would also replace the vanos sensors.

I think your gurgling sound and loss of power is the caused by a failing separator or some combination.

-ATW
__________________

Last edited by smellthebeans; 10-14-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST