Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 18 vmr vb3 fitment



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.
 
TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %
                     
Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
themdshift
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 gray 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: the burgh

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

18 vmr vb3 fitment

Hey all I just bought a set of 18x8.5 +40 front and 18x9.5 +33 rear in hyperblack for my 07 e92 space gray 335i. My father took the car to get the wheels put on since I am down at school and the mechanic said that the front was too close to the shock or something and recommended that they wouldn't fit so my dad just chose to put the new tires on the stock wheels. I've been reading up and searching the forums and I haven't seemed to come across anyone else having problems running this setup. Can anyone shed some light onto this i.e. is my mechanic being too conservative etc?

- Mike
themdshift is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
 
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themdshift View Post
Hey all I just bought a set of 18x8.5 +40 front and 18x9.5 +33 rear in hyperblack for my 07 e92 space gray 335i. My father took the car to get the wheels put on since I am down at school and the mechanic said that the front was too close to the shock or something and recommended that they wouldn't fit so my dad just chose to put the new tires on the stock wheels. I've been reading up and searching the forums and I haven't seemed to come across anyone else having problems running this setup. Can anyone shed some light onto this i.e. is my mechanic being too conservative etc?

- Mike
Total BS. I have 18x9.5 et35 at front and it's about 2mm from my shocks and no problems at all.If you compare your 8.5 et40 to that you have 8mm more room to the shocks. When you add that 2mm there your clearance is about 10mm. Even if you have coilovers it will still fit there.Maybe the mechanic tried the 9.5 et33 to front, but even then it wouldn't hit the shocks.
__________________

Last edited by MonacoBlueE90; 02-09-2013 at 01:12 PM.
MonacoBlueE90 is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
themdshift
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 gray 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: the burgh

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

According to my father he said if I hit a bump they would hit I guess? May just go to another tire shop and pay them to put them on. He also recommended a spacer. I haven't heard of anyone running spacers in the front.
themdshift is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
 
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themdshift View Post
According to my father he said if I hit a bump they would hit I guess? May just go to another tire shop and pay them to put them on.
Only way the wheel can hit the struts is by bending them or if something breaks down example wheel bearing, wheel bolts. If the wheel doesn't hit the shocks while its jacked up, it won't hit the shocks when driving either. The wheel itself doesn't move from the wheel hub.It's the hole struts/suspensions parts that goes up and down when hitting bumps etc.
And because your 8.5 et40 is about 10mm from stock shocks it needs to be big hit before it will hit anything.

Hope you understand what i mean.
__________________
MonacoBlueE90 is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
themdshift
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 gray 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: the burgh

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

No I do understand what you mean haha it was convincing my father. I guess I'm just going to get the wheels shipped down with the car and get another wheel place to put them on. I'll be running 225/35/18 up front and 255/35/18 in the rear.
themdshift is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
 
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themdshift View Post
No I do understand what you mean haha it was convincing my father. I guess I'm just going to get the wheels shipped down with the car and get another wheel place to put them on. I'll be running 225/35/18 up front and 255/35/18 in the rear.
I'm not so good at english, so i'm not always sure that others understand what i try to say. You should give the first wheel place a feedback.
__________________
MonacoBlueE90 is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Kalidian
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 514
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90 View Post
Total BS. I have 18x9.5 et35 at front and it's about 2mm from my shocks and no problems at all.If you compare your 8.5 et40 to that you have 8mm more room to the shocks. When you add that 2mm there your clearance is about 10mm. Even if you have coilovers it will still fit there.Maybe the mechanic tried the 9.5 et33 to front, but even then it wouldn't hit the shocks.
Um... his et40 offset means it's actually sitting 5mm closer to the the suspension components (further into the wheel well) than your et35's. That said though they should still fit... and even then I agree with the spacer idea - nothing wrong with running spacers up front - as long as the fitment is ideal and you get the stance you want. If you do that just make sure you get the extended lug bolts to go with it.

Did your mechanic actually try the fitment? Or did he just eyeball it half-assed'ly and tell you it wouldn't work?

Last edited by Kalidian; 02-09-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Kalidian is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
 
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post
Um... his et40 offset means it's actually sitting 5mm closer to the the suspension components (further into the wheel well) than your et35's.
If you had read properly, what i wrote you would have noticed that i have
18x9.5 et35 and OP has 18x8.5 et40 at front.You might want to recalculate.
__________________
MonacoBlueE90 is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Kalidian
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 514
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90 View Post
If you had read properly, what i wrote you would have noticed that i have
18x9.5 et35 and OP has 18x8.5 et40 at front.You might want to recalculate.
Ah my bad. Regardless, OP should have no troubles fitting those wheels.
Kalidian is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
 
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post
Ah my bad. Regardless, OP should have no troubles fitting those wheels.
No worries, and your right the wheels aren't the problem it's the tyre place.
__________________
MonacoBlueE90 is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 13,753
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
OP - The wheels will fit without an issue. We have literally sold THOUSANDS of these setups and there is not going to be a fitment issue. Your wheel and strut move together so they will never come in contact with each other.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Winter Wheel/Tire Sale! **
VMRWheels is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
themdshift
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 gray 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: the burgh

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.
themdshift is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST