E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil leak between the engine and the auto transmission.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
kostadinov
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i base
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA

iTrader: (0)

Oil leak between the engine and the auto transmission.

Can you, please, look at the pictures and tell me what is the reason for the oil leak?
I took one picture from underneath the car, then spent 3 hours with a rag and electrical contact cleaner. Cleaned and dried everything that I could reach around the engine, including the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. Drove the car for 20 min, somehow aggressively in the last 5-6 minutes. Checked for oil leaks and there it was, right between the engine and the gearbox. There is small, round plastic cover that I removed, but it looked dry inside. The second picture that I took clearly shows where the oil appeared. Have you experienced anything like this? What needs to be fixed in order to stop that leak?
The car is 2007 328i with 148K miles on it and I just purchased it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
big boost M
New Member
0
Rep
21
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: santa barbara

iTrader: (0)

It looks like it could be your rear main seal
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
19
Rep
1,914
Posts

 
Drives: too broke for a BMW
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: i get around..

iTrader: (1)

Oil pan gasket
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
2
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

I agree with oil pan gasket. They often leak at the right rear. $1300 repair if done at the dealer in my neighbourhood. Probably similar in your area. They have to drop the subframe to get the pan off. Around 7 hours of labor if done flat-rate. Add to that the cost of a crankcase of oil, gasket and new bolts.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
medusacomp
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DE

iTrader: (0)

Oil pan gasket, mine is doing the same
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
48
Rep
3,698
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

try re-torqueing the pan bolts first. At that mileage, I'd bet most are loose. I have a high-mileage 325i and had a pan gasket leak in the right rear of the engine. I found all the pan bolts VERY loose. I re-torqued them and the leak is stopped, or very minimal.

I'd don't know the specs for the pan torqueing nor the pattern. The Bentley service manual doesn't have them. So I just torqued them down clockwise from the right rear corner of the pan. I can tell you they don't require much torque and be careful because they are aluminum bolts.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
kostadinov
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i base
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
try re-torqueing the pan bolts first. At that mileage, I'd bet most are loose. I have a high-mileage 325i and had a pan gasket leak in the right rear of the engine. I found all the pan bolts VERY loose. I re-torqued them and the leak is stopped, or very minimal.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the bolts next time I jack the car up.
Now...if this is the case...there is something very wrong with the idea of using aluminum bolts. How do they get loose, when if torqued to the required specs, the bolts are supposed to stretch a bit and hold tight... I keep reading the forum here and can't believe how many people are complaining about leaking gaskets- valve cover, oil pan, oil filter and so on....caused by loose bolts or worn gaskets.

I have a 2008 Civic with 135K miles on it and there is no leak whatsoever. The engine is so dry and clean. The civic gets new full synthetic oil change every 8000 miles, brake pads every 60-70k miles, brake fluid flush every 2 years, new spark plugs every 100K miles, coolant drain and refill every 3 years, transmission fluid drain and refill every 30K miles, filters change every year. All of this is DIY and the car does not have any issues at all.

I am trying to get the BMW on a similar regime but that oil leak is driving me crazy, just because it is there....Is the BMW engineering inferior to that of HONDA?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Meeni's Avatar
22
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330i 06
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TN

iTrader: (0)

Looks like main bearing seal leak, but other said that oil pan might be the offender, and it is easier, always start with the easier target

And yes, BMW engines a prone to devellop a number of leaks in a variety of places that japanese never heard off. That is a minor but infortunate annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
48
Rep
3,698
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostadinov View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the bolts next time I jack the car up.
Now...if this is the case...there is something very wrong with the idea of using aluminum bolts. How do they get loose, when if torqued to the required specs, the bolts are supposed to stretch a bit and hold tight... I keep reading the forum here and can't believe how many people are complaining about leaking gaskets- valve cover, oil pan, oil filter and so on....caused by loose bolts or worn gaskets.

I have a 2008 Civic with 135K miles on it and there is no leak whatsoever. The engine is so dry and clean. The civic gets new full synthetic oil change every 8000 miles, brake pads every 60-70k miles, brake fluid flush every 2 years, new spark plugs every 100K miles, coolant drain and refill every 3 years, transmission fluid drain and refill every 30K miles, filters change every year. All of this is DIY and the car does not have any issues at all.

I am trying to get the BMW on a similar regime but that oil leak is driving me crazy, just because it is there....Is the BMW engineering inferior to that of HONDA?
Every car I've owned has eventually developed loose oil pan bolts and loose valve cover bolts; I don't think it is abnormal. The N52 uses aluminum bolts because the engine block is magnesium. Using steel bolts would cause galvanic reaction between the steel and magnesium and eventually eat away the hole of the engine block where the bolt screws into. Aluminum does not react with magnesium, which is why aluminum bolts are used where parts are bolted to the engine block.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
BuellsterR1
Private
0
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Every car I've owned has eventually developed loose oil pan bolts and loose valve cover bolts; I don't think it is abnormal. The N52 uses aluminum bolts because the engine block is magnesium. Using steel bolts would cause galvanic reaction between the steel and magnesium and eventually eat away the hole of the engine block where the bolt screws into. Aluminum does not react with magnesium, which is why aluminum bolts are used where parts are bolted to the engine block.
Great info!! Thanks for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
EPT335i
Captain
EPT335i's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
867
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2012 X5 35D E70
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: EL PASO, TEXAS

iTrader: (12)

My car recently starting leaking from same area. Im still under c.p.o warranty, would it be covered to fix this. Thanks
__________________
2008 E90 335i Titanuim Silver, Breyton GTS wheel's
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
cu_north
Seasoned Lurker
1
Rep
160
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i Black/Black
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

I believe I've got a leak in the same spot. Can anyone tell me where this was coming from and what was done to fix?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
dylim
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
240
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bay area

iTrader: (3)

Er... I've got a leak there too. Seems like the screws are torqued to yield, so I don't think it's a good idea to check their torque - they might snap? Anyways, I got a new set of bolts, and will replace them to see if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Bump. Was it the oil pan?
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
19
Rep
1,914
Posts

 
Drives: too broke for a BMW
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: i get around..

iTrader: (1)

Oil pan gasket for sure. As stated-the bolts are aluminum-"re-torque" is not suggested and can easily snap the bolt.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #16
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPT335i View Post
My car recently starting leaking from same area. Im still under c.p.o warranty, would it be covered to fix this. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu_north View Post
I believe I've got a leak in the same spot. Can anyone tell me where this was coming from and what was done to fix?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim View Post
Er... I've got a leak there too. Seems like the screws are torqued to yield, so I don't think it's a good idea to check their torque - they might snap? Anyways, I got a new set of bolts, and will replace them to see if it makes a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
Oil pan gasket for sure. As stated-the bolts are aluminum-"re-torque" is not suggested and can easily snap the bolt.
Volk, thanks for responding, but where are the rest of the responses? They all had the same problem, but never posted an update. Come on guys, post updates!
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 06-18-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
bmwsinceday1
Private
0
Rep
76
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostadinov View Post
.Is the BMW engineering inferior to that of HONDA?
Dont worry- honda civics from early 2000's had the worst AT's of any car I ever heard of- they bust every 30,000-50,000 miles, even if babied with care. 2 repairs so far. Sheesh. Honda "engineering". I'll take oil seepage any day.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Honda engineering? They have rubber timing belts. Good luck with that.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:05 AM   #19
dylim
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
240
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bay area

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Volk, thanks for responding, but where are the rest of the responses? They all had the same problem, but never posted an update. Come on guys, post updates!
Ha, I've been very busy and haven't gotten around to it.

In Feb I did the OFH gasket and VC gasket. The oil that I see around the oil pan could have been from those leaking, or from my fumoto valve.

Today I had time to do an oil change, and while the oil leak is much less severe, I still see oil around the pan (and the plastic tray). So, I torqued the fumoto valve a bit more (F109; should be 15 ft lb from their page; I torqued to 18 ft lb). I also used a permatex spray on sealant around the valve and the oil pan. I'll let you know if it works.

I did get the new bolts, but since they are torqued to yield, I don't want to waste a set of bolts given that the leak might have been caused by failed gasket. None of the old bolts are loose.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
kingyang3
Private
Canada
0
Rep
64
Posts

 
Drives: SG E90 335i M-sport
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

update? got a leak in the same area.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
oil leak

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST