E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Yet another 3 dollar DIY BOV (get that woosh shift sound)

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  Yet another 3 dollar DIY BOV (get that woosh shift sound)
Evochuck
02-04-2013
Since our cars are running with MAP sensors, its pretty safe to say the only reasons the air is plumbed back into the intake is for noise reasons (beacause a lot of ppl dont want a 55k car to woosh everytime they shift). FYI if you plan on installing an intake or DCI, it will make your install 2x...
By shwinturbo on 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Here is a pretty good video (sound wise) that i shot of what this exact mod sounds like with a dci and jb4 on map 5

By wuhantang on 09-30-2013, 11:36 PM
i did this mod today, been driving around for the past hour. it sounds AWESOME. WOW and it is SOOO easy to do, literally took me 10min!
-same sound as before the mod, just louder
-can't hear if playing music
-can hear loud and clear if music is off, and loud with windows down
not as loud as $500 BOV kits but hey its only 3 bucks
By MasterWang on 10-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Where did you guys relocate the disconnected tubes to? Do I just let it sit anywhere?
By dapz325 on 10-17-2013, 01:36 AM
I just did this , ran to walmart grabbed SuperSliders rubber chair tips and hose clamps. It took a total of 3 mins to put on and these chair tips work perfectly , very snug . They dont need to clamped but I did it just to make sure. I tested it out and its very noticeable , really does sound like a bov , and for some reason the turbo spool seems to sound a tab bit louder (i have dci btw). Not sure if i will stick with it or not but for 4 dollars its worth a try.
By starbai on 10-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWang
Where did you guys relocate the disconnected tubes to? Do I just let it sit anywhere?
Curious for an answer to this as well. I'll be doing this mod this weekend.
By Evochuck on 10-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
100%100%100%
Average 47%
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Curious for an answer to this as well. I'll be doing this mod this weekend.
I tie wrapred the hose outlets to the side of my plugs (the hose aren't super flexible)
By CharleyGFX on 11-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Is there any long term negative affects to this mod? I have a jb4/dci and is at 114k now.. I don't wanna drop $500 on a bov.. nor do I wanna have any more problems.

thanks
By blackturbo on 11-11-2013, 05:20 AM
I find removing the cabin filter and engine cowl is faster. Once the cowl is off there is plenty of room to work with.

medium to heavy load is where I hear it.
wot definitely hear it.

can you hear it more with dci's? at lower throttle like say 3000 rpm? just wondering if anyone can chim in?
By boostaholic786 on 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
You can hear it by 2500rpm's if you are in lets say third at 30mph and push on the throttle a good 50% and your def going to hear it. In all honesty there really isnt any negative affects on it because the recirculator system that the car original uses is designed for noise detonation. But all your doing in reality is recirculating that air back through the turbos and we all know how hot our turbos get after 3-4 back to back 50-130mph runs so by disconnecting them your doing two things: 1) not letting any blowby or oil get into your chargepipe and drip down into your intercooler, and 2) doesnt let any HOT air recirculate back into the turbos, therefore keeping them cooler or atleast not having them suck in hot air for no reason. If you want to do this to where you dont get any oil on your motor or create any type of mess, get the RB PCV valve which is $50 bucks I think and damn well worth it...After I changed my PCV valve I wasnt getting any oil in my catch can so I just uninstalled my catch can because there really wasnt a need for it..And I checked it for about 6 months straight after I got the RB PCV valve, and not a drip of oil...Another way to go is to get a breather filter that will fit over the factory diverter valve tubing so it still is releasing air into the atmosphere but that little air filter breather will catch it. then use a worm clamp to make sure they stay on the tubes snug...Thats probably the most "efficient" way to do this DIY..

And this is literally just for sound. No performance gains or losses and isnt going to hurt your car in any way regardless of how much boost your running. And another perk to it is instead of buying a chargepipe $250 bucks? ( I dont remember how much mine was) and then the BOV, which I chose TIAL and I'm pretty sure that was $269 maybe....Its been a while but this literally works the EXACT same way, in a mechanical perspective.
By E36graduate on 12-09-2013, 04:14 PM
After 132K miles, I finally unhooked the diverter valves hoses, had an old package of the rubber chair leg thingies laying around for years and did this mod in about 5 minutes....I can hear the woosh very easily as I don't have the shroud mounted on my firewall, just the cabin filter and housing.

I'm thinking about routing the hoses towards the shock tower where there is openings to the front driver wheel...

Only negative I can think of is that the diverter system is supposed to help keep the lag to a minimum???? I think I read this somewhere? Could be wrong? I couldnt tell a difference.
By 335iVlad on 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Bumping this old thread, but has anyone done this on N55?
By big_ed on 10-07-2014, 08:55 PM
I wanted to add how awsome this mod is. Go do it. Now!
Comment