E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering wheel vibration under braking - just pads or front rotors too?

02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
dwells
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Steering wheel vibration under braking - just pads or front rotors too?

Hey everyone, my E92 335i (just shy of 60,000 miles) is giving me some shaking in the wheel when braking at higher speeds. Braking performance is still fine and it's not compromising the stability of the car, but I imagine it's something I should address.

I'm due for new pads in a thousand miles, is it possible this is the reason for the problem? Or am I looking at potentially warped or thin front rotors as well?

And since we're on the topic, I want some new pads that won't spit out as much brake dust. Cool Carbons still the best choice? If I do go for new rotors, I know the Z4 35is rotors are popular, but I'm looking to save some money and I do have a soft spot for the look of dimpled/slotted rotors (yeah yeah, I know they're not practical for street use). I don't need high performance, a bit of a gain over OEM would be nice, but the car doesn't get tracked so it's not huge.

Thanks!

EDIT: Due for new brake fluid soon too, suggestions?
| E92 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | Cream beige Dakota leather | Premium package, sport package, technology package, comfort access | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | GP Thunder II 8500K angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Painted reflectors | Rear fogs | Amber light delete, digital speedo, remote windows, other coding |
dwells is offline   United_States
      02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
BKV122
Major

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Possibly your rotors are warped. Depending on your monthly milage, and being youre due for pads in ~1000miles it wouldnt hurt to change pads also.

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is offline   United_States
      02-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode

Drives: BMW 330i 06

If you have to change pads, and you are still on your original rotors, they are probably close to being worn as well. You should just change everything altogether at this mileage point.

I have replaced my brakes with Stoptech drilled rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. I am happy with the result. If you search the forum, there are a number of subjects (including mine) that give more info on these items.

That being said, the other usual suspect is worn out tires. Have a look at that too, if they have scalloped, they will provoke strange noises and/or weird handling.
      02-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Hybrid For Life
Banned

Drives: Out of Spec

I'd do rotors and pads, for a low dust pad Akebono's are great.
Hybrid For Life is offline   Germany