Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What would you do?



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.
 
TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %
                     
Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
M0.92
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i e92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Dallas

Posts: 216
iTrader: (1)

What would you do?

A couple of months ago I bought a brand new set of Avant Garde M359s. I had them mounted last month and have put less than 150 miles on them. When washing the car I noticed all four of them had a couple of dozen of chips in the paint all the way down to the black primer. Several of the chips were in locations where rims don't normally don't chip due to rocks, to me signifying it was an issue of product quality. Especially considering the amount of chips in only 150 miles of city driving.

I took the car to a local rim repair shop to get their opinion. Their thought was that it's clearly poor quality of the finish and had they done work on rims which ended up like this after only 150 miles they would redo the job at no charge.

I contacted the place I bought the rims from and after some back and forth AG agreed they would take a look at the rims and then decide whether or not they would give me a new set of rims under warranty. If they decide not to replace them they will instead either respray them at wholesale cost, or offer a discount towards a new set.

Now, I'm stuck with a decision to make. To have the tires dismounted (and later mounted again) and then ship all four rims is going to cost a fortune in relation to the value of the rims. On top of that it would be very time consuming dealing with all of this.

One option would be to either have the chips filled out with some sort of pen, but I'm worried that the chipping will only continue as time goes. Another option would be to bite the bullet and have all of the rims completely re-done at a cost of $400 locally. It would probably cost me the same to dismount/re-mount and ship them off.

In my book the seller (well known by this community) and/or the manufacturer should pick up the cost of shipping and dismounting/re-mounting if they really backed up their product.

This link is to the pictures I sent in to the seller who, I assume, forwarded them to AG.

http://s275.beta.photobucket.com/use...y/Rim%20Damage

FYI, I checked the rims for damage after they were mounted and there was nowhere near this many chips at the time.
M0.92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
CT335xi
First Lieutenant
 
CT335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335xi, evo 8, gmc syclone
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Naugatuck,Ct

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Thats a bunch of crap they should be paying for everything including shipping, I would tell you want your full refund.
__________________
volk re30 18x8.5 / tc kline coilovers / cobb ap / afe stg 2 sealed cai / afe air scoops / 5" ets fmic
CT335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
rattmobbins
Captain
 
rattmobbins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 328i Touring
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NM

Posts: 628
iTrader: (1)

Anytime I've ever had to send anything back for warranty work, the shipping has always been my responsibility. Sucks, but that's the way it usually works.

If it were me, I'd go with the local respray option. I'm sure you could talk them down a bit and maybe get it done for $300 or $350.

No sense spending almost as much just to have AG decide all they're gonna do is offer a discount on a new set of wheels.
rattmobbins is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
FCobra94
Major
 
FCobra94's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Wow. Yeah, after seeing that many chips, apart from anywhere an impact wrench or tire changer could have caused them, you almost have got to assume that there is in fact an issue with how the paint was put on originally.

See if they'll at least split the cost of you refinishing them locally. I wouldn't send them back only to, more than likely, be denied any warranty claim AND THEN have to pay to get the tires mounted and balanced again. F that noise...way too much hassle for little, if any, return. It would probably be cheaper for everybody if you went that route.

Just curious, but would the local place be painting or powdercoating? Sounds like a good price!
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
Cobb AP|Alpina Flash|VRSF 7" FMIC|VRSF CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI|Bilstein B6|E93 M3 FSB|SP Lowering Perches
Summer: Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10mm rear spacers
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 15mm rear spacers
FCobra94 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Smooth 330i
Captain
 
Smooth 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 934
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0.92 View Post
A couple of months ago I bought a brand new set of Avant Garde M359s. I had them mounted last month and have put less than 150 miles on them. When washing the car I noticed all four of them had a couple of dozen of chips in the paint all the way down to the black primer. Several of the chips were in locations where rims don't normally don't chip due to rocks, to me signifying it was an issue of product quality. Especially considering the amount of chips in only 150 miles of city driving.

I took the car to a local rim repair shop to get their opinion. Their thought was that it's clearly poor quality of the finish and had they done work on rims which ended up like this after only 150 miles they would redo the job at no charge.

I contacted the place I bought the rims from and after some back and forth AG agreed they would take a look at the rims and then decide whether or not they would give me a new set of rims under warranty. If they decide not to replace them they will instead either respray them at wholesale cost, or offer a discount towards a new set.

Now, I'm stuck with a decision to make. To have the tires dismounted (and later mounted again) and then ship all four rims is going to cost a fortune in relation to the value of the rims. On top of that it would be very time consuming dealing with all of this.

One option would be to either have the chips filled out with some sort of pen, but I'm worried that the chipping will only continue as time goes. Another option would be to bite the bullet and have all of the rims completely re-done at a cost of $400 locally. It would probably cost me the same to dismount/re-mount and ship them off.

In my book the seller (well known by this community) and/or the manufacturer should pick up the cost of shipping and dismounting/re-mounting if they really backed up their product.

This link is to the pictures I sent in to the seller who, I assume, forwarded them to AG.

http://s275.beta.photobucket.com/use...y/Rim%20Damage

FYI, I checked the rims for damage after they were mounted and there was nowhere near this many chips at the time.

I wouldn't ship them out. They are not going to repair them properly by stripping wheels and re-coating them. Most likely it will be a quick patch job.

Drive for a few months and find out if the issue will continue. Take another set of pictures and compare to the ones you took. Once you get to the point you can't look at them anymore have them refinished the right way or buy a set of quality wheels. AG wheels are cheap for a reason and you really can't expect them to perform well. You get what you pay for. Any OEM wheel is higher quality than AG.

GL
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Smooth 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
M0.92
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i e92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Dallas

Posts: 216
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokTurNaL 330i View Post
I wouldn't ship them out. They are not going to repair them properly by stripping wheels and re-coating them. Most likely it will be a quick patch job.

Drive for a few months and find out if the issue will continue. Take another set of pictures and compare to the ones you took. Once you get to the point you can't look at them anymore have them refinished the right way or buy a set of quality wheels. AG wheels are cheap for a reason and you really can't expect them to perform well. You get what you pay for. Any OEM wheel is higher quality than AG.

GL
While I'm certainly aware of the poorer quality on a cheaper set of rims like these I definitely expected them to last a bit longer than 150 miles.

I also do agree sending them back will be more of a hassle, and probably more expensive, than what it's worth.

At this point I think my best bet is to bypass the seller and deal directly with AG to see if hey can in some way assist me in bringing the rims back to an acceptable condition.

Thanks for the input. Please keep it coming gents.
M0.92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
montreal_bimmer
Major General
 
montreal_bimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 AW
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal

Posts: 5,501
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
For what it's gonna cost you to ship them back, you might as well get them done locally. It'll probably be a much better job too. If you have issues with the finish, at least the guy will be local and you can deal with him in person.
montreal_bimmer is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,706
iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Because...replica wheels
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
M0.92
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i e92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Dallas

Posts: 216
iTrader: (1)

I called AG directly this morning but after going around in circles with the guy about the shipping costs and how I felt they were not taking responsibility for their product I realised I was wasting my time so I hung up.

Surprisingly another guy from AG called me back a few minutes later and we were able to come to a solution which should work for both parties.

Lesson taken away from this, never give up right away when fighting a similar case.

I'm currently sitting at Discount Tires having the wheels taken off the car. They sell AG's too and are also saying the rims should not look like this after so few miles.
M0.92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
E92GRL
@E92GRL
 
E92GRL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NorCal

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Thats a bunch of crap they should be paying for everything including shipping, I would tell you want your full refund.
+1
__________________
E92GRL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST