Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What would you do?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

02-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
M0.92
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i e92

What would you do?

A couple of months ago I bought a brand new set of Avant Garde M359s. I had them mounted last month and have put less than 150 miles on them. When washing the car I noticed all four of them had a couple of dozen of chips in the paint all the way down to the black primer. Several of the chips were in locations where rims don't normally don't chip due to rocks, to me signifying it was an issue of product quality. Especially considering the amount of chips in only 150 miles of city driving.

I took the car to a local rim repair shop to get their opinion. Their thought was that it's clearly poor quality of the finish and had they done work on rims which ended up like this after only 150 miles they would redo the job at no charge.

I contacted the place I bought the rims from and after some back and forth AG agreed they would take a look at the rims and then decide whether or not they would give me a new set of rims under warranty. If they decide not to replace them they will instead either respray them at wholesale cost, or offer a discount towards a new set.

Now, I'm stuck with a decision to make. To have the tires dismounted (and later mounted again) and then ship all four rims is going to cost a fortune in relation to the value of the rims. On top of that it would be very time consuming dealing with all of this.

One option would be to either have the chips filled out with some sort of pen, but I'm worried that the chipping will only continue as time goes. Another option would be to bite the bullet and have all of the rims completely re-done at a cost of $400 locally. It would probably cost me the same to dismount/re-mount and ship them off.

In my book the seller (well known by this community) and/or the manufacturer should pick up the cost of shipping and dismounting/re-mounting if they really backed up their product.

This link is to the pictures I sent in to the seller who, I assume, forwarded them to AG.

http://s275.beta.photobucket.com/use...y/Rim%20Damage

FYI, I checked the rims for damage after they were mounted and there was nowhere near this many chips at the time.
      02-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
CT335xi
First Lieutenant

Drives: e90 335xi, evo 8, gmc syclone

Thats a bunch of crap they should be paying for everything including shipping, I would tell you want your full refund.
      02-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
rattmobbins
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Touring

Anytime I've ever had to send anything back for warranty work, the shipping has always been my responsibility. Sucks, but that's the way it usually works.

If it were me, I'd go with the local respray option. I'm sure you could talk them down a bit and maybe get it done for $300 or $350.

No sense spending almost as much just to have AG decide all they're gonna do is offer a discount on a new set of wheels.
      02-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
FCobra94
Major

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Wow. Yeah, after seeing that many chips, apart from anywhere an impact wrench or tire changer could have caused them, you almost have got to assume that there is in fact an issue with how the paint was put on originally.

See if they'll at least split the cost of you refinishing them locally. I wouldn't send them back only to, more than likely, be denied any warranty claim AND THEN have to pay to get the tires mounted and balanced again. F that noise...way too much hassle for little, if any, return. It would probably be cheaper for everybody if you went that route.

Just curious, but would the local place be painting or powdercoating? Sounds like a good price!
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 15mm rear spacers
      02-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Smooth 330i
Captain

Drives: Sleepy 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0.92 View Post
A couple of months ago I bought a brand new set of Avant Garde M359s. I had them mounted last month and have put less than 150 miles on them. When washing the car I noticed all four of them had a couple of dozen of chips in the paint all the way down to the black primer. Several of the chips were in locations where rims don't normally don't chip due to rocks, to me signifying it was an issue of product quality. Especially considering the amount of chips in only 150 miles of city driving.

I took the car to a local rim repair shop to get their opinion. Their thought was that it's clearly poor quality of the finish and had they done work on rims which ended up like this after only 150 miles they would redo the job at no charge.

I contacted the place I bought the rims from and after some back and forth AG agreed they would take a look at the rims and then decide whether or not they would give me a new set of rims under warranty. If they decide not to replace them they will instead either respray them at wholesale cost, or offer a discount towards a new set.

Now, I'm stuck with a decision to make. To have the tires dismounted (and later mounted again) and then ship all four rims is going to cost a fortune in relation to the value of the rims. On top of that it would be very time consuming dealing with all of this.

One option would be to either have the chips filled out with some sort of pen, but I'm worried that the chipping will only continue as time goes. Another option would be to bite the bullet and have all of the rims completely re-done at a cost of $400 locally. It would probably cost me the same to dismount/re-mount and ship them off.

In my book the seller (well known by this community) and/or the manufacturer should pick up the cost of shipping and dismounting/re-mounting if they really backed up their product.

This link is to the pictures I sent in to the seller who, I assume, forwarded them to AG.

http://s275.beta.photobucket.com/use...y/Rim%20Damage

FYI, I checked the rims for damage after they were mounted and there was nowhere near this many chips at the time.

I wouldn't ship them out. They are not going to repair them properly by stripping wheels and re-coating them. Most likely it will be a quick patch job.

Drive for a few months and find out if the issue will continue. Take another set of pictures and compare to the ones you took. Once you get to the point you can't look at them anymore have them refinished the right way or buy a set of quality wheels. AG wheels are cheap for a reason and you really can't expect them to perform well. You get what you pay for. Any OEM wheel is higher quality than AG.

GL

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
      02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
M0.92
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokTurNaL 330i View Post
I wouldn't ship them out. They are not going to repair them properly by stripping wheels and re-coating them. Most likely it will be a quick patch job.

Drive for a few months and find out if the issue will continue. Take another set of pictures and compare to the ones you took. Once you get to the point you can't look at them anymore have them refinished the right way or buy a set of quality wheels. AG wheels are cheap for a reason and you really can't expect them to perform well. You get what you pay for. Any OEM wheel is higher quality than AG.

GL
While I'm certainly aware of the poorer quality on a cheaper set of rims like these I definitely expected them to last a bit longer than 150 miles.

I also do agree sending them back will be more of a hassle, and probably more expensive, than what it's worth.

At this point I think my best bet is to bypass the seller and deal directly with AG to see if hey can in some way assist me in bringing the rims back to an acceptable condition.

Thanks for the input. Please keep it coming gents.
      02-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
montreal_bimmer
Major General

Drives: E90 AW

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
For what it's gonna cost you to ship them back, you might as well get them done locally. It'll probably be a much better job too. If you have issues with the finish, at least the guy will be local and you can deal with him in person.
montreal_bimmer is offline   Italy
      02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
BRGmatthew
Bausman

Drives: around the block

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Because...replica wheels
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
      02-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
M0.92
Second Lieutenant

I called AG directly this morning but after going around in circles with the guy about the shipping costs and how I felt they were not taking responsibility for their product I realised I was wasting my time so I hung up.

Surprisingly another guy from AG called me back a few minutes later and we were able to come to a solution which should work for both parties.

Lesson taken away from this, never give up right away when fighting a similar case.

I'm currently sitting at Discount Tires having the wheels taken off the car. They sell AG's too and are also saying the rims should not look like this after so few miles.
      02-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
E92GRL
@E92GRL

Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Thats a bunch of crap they should be paying for everything including shipping, I would tell you want your full refund.
+1