E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Misfire Cylinder 6 after Cobb AP install

05-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
JLiusifer
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 335i

Misfire Cylinder 6 after Cobb AP install

Last night I installed my Cobb Accessport and chose the Stage 1 setting that requires 91 octane. After the flash I got a CEL with a code of Misfire in Cyl 6.

I searched around the forum and most are saying that I will need to either swap coils with cyl 6 with another cylinder or change out my spark plugs.

My car has 71k and the last time the spark plugs were changed around 45k.

What kind of spark plugs do you recommend? Do I have to stick with BMW parts? What about the coils? Can I just get an offbrand from the local auto parts store?

Thanks!
      05-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
FrankiE90
Major General

Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Send a message via Skype™ to FrankiE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiusifer
Last night I installed my Cobb Accessport and chose the Stage 1 setting that requires 91 octane. After the flash I got a CEL with a code of Misfire in Cyl 6.

I searched around the forum and most are saying that I will need to either swap coils with cyl 6 with another cylinder or change out my spark plugs.

What kind of spark plugs do you recommend? Do I have to stick with BMW parts? What about the coils? Can I just get an offbrand from the local auto parts store?

Thanks!
Change plugs - oem bmw. Make sure to give ur VIN to dealer.
      05-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:

Thanks!
Is your car a N55? Last time we had this on the N55-board, it was a N54...
      05-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
BrokenMyWallet12
Private

Drives: 2009 335xi

Could be the coil pack for the cylinder. That happened to me also for cylinder 1, I've been running for 5 months since the change with no problems at all. I have an N54 which, had about 52k when it happened.
BrokenMyWallet12 is offline   United_States
      05-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
908jeff
M6 Black on Black

Drives: Southern E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMyWallet12 View Post
Could be the coil pack for the cylinder. That happened to me also for cylinder 1, I've been running for 5 months since the change with no problems at all. I have an N54 which, had about 52k when it happened.

Hey I just installed the cobb ap stage 1 on my 09 335i and same deal CEL came on down the road on my first run and the code said "misfire in cylinder 4" should I just buy a a new coil first before switching out the spark plugs? Did you switch the coil yourself or have a shop do it, if you did it yourself how easy/hard was it? Car has a little over 33k miles on it. Any help is greatly appreciated!
908jeff is offline   United_States
      05-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
JLiusifer
Enlisted Member

I just changed my spark plugs today and the misfiring is now gone! I ended up also replacing the coil in cylinder 6. I am currently using the Stage 1 Stock Throttle Map. WOW! What a big difference. I will try testing out some of the other maps to find the best fit for my driving. Good luck!
      05-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
908jeff
M6 Black on Black

Drives: Southern E90

Hey glad to hear the new plugs worked for you! I ordered the spark plugs, bms spark plug tool, a coil pack and a torque wrench. My question for you is 17 pnds on the torque wrench correct? And did you use any spark plug lube/oil/anti sieze or whatever it's called? Thanks for any help you can give me.
908jeff is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
JLiusifer
Enlisted Member

plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908jeff View Post
Hey glad to hear the new plugs worked for you! I ordered the spark plugs, bms spark plug tool, a coil pack and a torque wrench. My question for you is 17 pnds on the torque wrench correct? And did you use any spark plug lube/oil/anti sieze or whatever it's called? Thanks for any help you can give me.
I didnt use a torque the spark plugs. I tighten it enough so it was snug. I didnt use anti seize. Good luck!
      05-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
CptJoe732
Banned

Drives: 2007 E90 N54

Quote:
Quote:
I didnt use a torque the spark plugs. I tighten it enough so it was snug. I didnt use anti seize. Good luck!
How do you change your timing belt, with a hammer in 0 degree weather?
      05-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
EyeGuy
Private First Class

Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Cobb stage 1 aggressive here and recently had a misfire on cylinder 5. I had a shop replace all spark plugs with 35k miles on the clock. Still misfired until I had the coil replaced on cylinder 5. Now drives super smooth at wot, no studdering and no more cel.
If it returns, I'll probably look into intake valve cleaning aka walnut shell blasting.
      05-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
sickem
Freude am fahren

Drives: in the fast lane

Garage List
Quote:
I can't remember the torque specs I used, I want to say it was 14 or 16 lb ft? Be careful not to confuse with Newton-meters. A search here on the forum should give you the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptJoe732 View Post
How do you change your timing belt, with a hammer in 0 degree weather?
LMAO