E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pre-LCI e92 : HIT AND RUN! Help. Pics.

02-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
JeffNasty
WOPWOPWOP
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alpine White : e92

Unhappy Pre-LCI e92 : HIT AND RUN! Help. Pics.

I've had this car for two weeks, have not put it on my insurance policy yet (been shopping around).. have been using my other car as a daily driver.

Long story short, a hit and run happened in a parking lot.. a police report has been filed and im sure they wont find the person responsible.

All the damage is cosmetic, didnt touch the engine.. the check engine light didnt even come on. obviously needs a new hood, bumper, and right headlight (cracked).. what else would i need? ex. inner hood piece?

i may be covered from my current car insurance since the car was purchased less than 30 days ago, but im not certain.

Last edited by JeffNasty; 02-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 F30 328i

WOWWW that really sucks. First thing to do is check for any nearby security cameras that may have an angle on it, and go to those stores/people and see if they have the logs for that day.

Also check for eyewitnesses. If it's one of those parking lots with attendants, ask them if they saw anyone leaving with an obviously damaged car (if they did that to your car, I doubt theirs got off lightly).

Also, are laws over there different from over here? Here in NY you have to show proof of insurance before you can drive the car off the dealership lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
JeffNasty
WOPWOPWOP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
WOWWW that really sucks. First thing to do is check for any nearby security cameras that may have an angle on it, and go to those stores/people and see if they have the logs for that day.

Also check for eyewitnesses. If it's one of those parking lots with attendants, ask them if they saw anyone leaving with an obviously damaged car (if they did that to your car, I doubt theirs got off lightly).

Also, are laws over there different from over here? Here in NY you have to show proof of insurance before you can drive the car off the dealership lot.
im definitely trying to get as much info as possible, but so far not looking good.

i bought this car off a private seller, and law is you're covered for 30 days (liability) from the purchase date of the car, but my insurance may cover me since i have a current policy with them with my other car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
9ball
Private
Rep

Drives: Space Gray E92

It was my belief that your car is covered with whatever policy you currently have with your other vehicle. So if your other car has full coverage, so should this one for 30 days. I notice that when I wait to purchase insurance for a new vehicle my paperwork starts my coverage from the purchase date of the car and not the insurance. Be sure to post your results from this. I would like to know if I was wrong this entire time. Also judging by how high that damage is, it looks like you got hit by a truck. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
eppisgood
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 e90 335i

Man that sucks, sorry to hear. Where in OC was this?
      02-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
JeffNasty
WOPWOPWOP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ball View Post
It was my belief that your car is covered with whatever policy you currently have with your other vehicle. So if your other car has full coverage, so should this one for 30 days. I notice that when I wait to purchase insurance for a new vehicle my paperwork starts my coverage from the purchase date of the car and not the insurance. Be sure to post your results from this. I would like to know if I was wrong this entire time. Also judging by how high that damage is, it looks like you got hit by a truck. Good luck.
yes i will definitely be posting the process and results. Speaking with my insurance tomorrow and should get an answer. (i faxed them all my paperwork, bills of sale, pink slip, ect. on friday)

it was definitely a truck or high suv; in brea, ca
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: SGM E90 330xi

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Scum people in this world....good luck dude.

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
eppisgood
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 e90 335i

Surprised there wasn't anyone around that saw it happen - if I saw something like that occur I'd whip out my cell phone and snap a picture of the perpetrator's license plate. Hope your insurance covers everything. On the bright side, you could look into a different front bumper.
      02-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
cchong4
Captain
Rep

Drives: e92 328i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
Wow that's a pretty big hit and run! Sorry to hear about that happen to your new car. Hopefully things get situated soon
      02-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
Rep

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Hopefully insurance will cover it. LCI conversion?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
135Pats
Turbo's Here
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i

The shit some people will do….unbelievable I'm sorry OP. I'm not sure how insurance will work out, but in terms of damage, you're probably looking at a new hood, bumper, at least one headlight, probably new radiator+fan, windshield washer lines and maybe tank, possible quarter panel damage though thankfully they look OK. Also it looks like the damage was all above the intercooler, but you never know. Several months ago my car suffered similar damage in terms of where it was hit, but the impact was not as severe as in this case, insurance took care of it at about $6K, the biggest cost by far were the 2 new headlights. GL resolving this I hope you find the lowlife who thought he/she could do this to someone's property and get away with it.
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
PSEE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 335d

um...

hello?!?

you buy a car, choose not to insure it, then expect the insurance company
insuring another car you own to provide collision repair coverage for your
uninsured vehicle?

are you smoking CRACK?

how is anyone to know you didn't buy the car already damaged and are looking for a repair on someone else's nickel?

where I live the insurance company inspects one's newly acquired vehicle
specifically to know its condition at the time it's going to be insured.

30 days to get a vehicle insured? what happens if you hit someone else's
car and total it? Who pays for that? Oh wait - I know, you call the company
and tell them they need to honor your victim's insurance company's claim
against your company.

riiiight...

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
bender rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Audi

Quote:
That isn't correct.. Say you own a 2005 honda civic and a new 335i the insurance company makes you carry the same insurance on all the cars. So you end up paying new bmw price on an old honda civic.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
bender rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Audi

You can save yourself some big money by getting used parts.. It doesn't matter if they are new or used in this case because they spray them anyway..

I searched for a hood and they only run 300-500 used which is hell a cheap.. You could prob get all your parts for about 1200.00 then you just got to find a good cheap body shop. There are people that are good at this stuff just hard to find.. If you take it to some BMW place they might not even work with you on used parts and even if they do.. Bend over because you are going to get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
mannytabloid
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i E92

Maybe his licence plate number got imprinted in your hood...

Sapphire Black, Saddle Brown, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, OEM Rear Spoiler, M3 Strut Brace, Meyle HD Tie-Rods, M3 Front Control Arms - Upper and Lower, M-Tech Rear Bumper, Painted Side Reflectors, Alpine HID 5300k Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335i 6mt

ahh that's terrible

good luck with everything
      02-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #17
9ball
Private
Rep

Drives: Space Gray E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
That isn't correct.. Say you own a 2005 honda civic and a new 335i the insurance company makes you carry the same insurance on all the cars. So you end up paying new bmw price on an old honda civic.
Let me clarify. They use the same coverage (not the policy) that you have on your current vehicle for 30 days until you purchase insurance for it. Plus the OP lives in the great communist state of Cali where our insurance is probably regulated more than any other state. I asked the OP to keep us posted because I am curious of the outcome, especially if it is different than what I was led to believe.

Last edited by 9ball; 02-13-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
JeffNasty
WOPWOPWOP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me clarify. They use the same coverage (not the policy) that you have on your current vehicle for 30 days until you purchase insurance for it. Plus the OP lives in the great communist state of Cali where our insurance is probably regulated more than any other state. I asked the OP to keep us posted because I am curious of the outcome, especially if it is different than what I was led to believe.
the insurance took a while to get back to me, but i finally got an answer.

here it is.

if you have a current policy with another vehicle (does not matter what the vehicle is or is even worth), and then you buy a new car (could be worth any amount, even more than your previous car).. your policy will carry over to the new car you bought for 30 days of the original purchase price.

but only the policy you have will carry over. Ex; if you have full coverege, then full coverege will carry over, if you had liability on your previous car, then only liability will carry over to your new car.

This is in CA, not sure what the law is in other states!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
luv135i
Captain
Rep

Drives: White

Garage List
Quote:
This is correct. Most companies/states its 30 days but I have seen instances when it is shorter. You have the same coverage as your most insured vehicle for that time period so yes you can get one months of car insurance at "honda civic price for your 335". Its clearly all spelled out in the policy binder which no one ever bothers to read.
      02-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #20
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNasty View Post
the insurance took a while to get back to me, but i finally got an answer.

here it is.

if you have a current policy with another vehicle (does not matter what the vehicle is or is even worth), and then you buy a new car (could be worth any amount, even more than your previous car).. your policy will carry over to the new car you bought for 30 days of the original purchase price.

but only the policy you have will carry over. Ex; if you have full coverege, then full coverege will carry over, if you had liability on your previous car, then only liability will carry over to your new car.

This is in CA, not sure what the law is in other states!
What if ONE car is liability and ONE car is full coverage and you buy a car for 50k and you wanted full coverage but totaled it that night. Which one will follow through.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I believe that this is correct info. For example, if you buy a new car over the weekend, a dealer in some states issues you tags. They cannot issue tags to an uninsured vehicle. You have 30 days to notify your insurance. I believe your insurance co. GOES ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE DATE OF ISSUANCE ON THE PLATES. They're not stupid, they won't let you have coverage for 30 days for free. But you should be covered, as long as that car's registered legally....good luck OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
What if ONE car is liability and ONE car is full coverage and you buy a car for 50k and you wanted full coverage but totaled it that night. Which one will follow through.
That's our case--two vehicles with full coverage, one with only liability and comp. It's the highest coverage that you have.

Note again, the 30 day temporary use auto stipulation is important--if you have a loaner, it will not be covered on day 31. The contract needs to be rewritten.
Appreciate 0