E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Injen Style DCI Intake

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY Injen Style DCI Intake
Published by schmidtp
09-24-2013
DIY Injen Style DCI Intake

Hey everyone,

I though I would post the project that I did last weekend just in case anyone else was interested in it. I did not like the look with the two cone filters coming right off of the stock locations and thought that I could replicate the Injen style intake which has cleaner lines. I went to the local auto parts store and picked up two filters for $25 each and then to home depot to pick up various different angled elbows and here is what I came up with.

First to do the Injen style intake the power steering reservoir had to move to make room for the filter. By dis-attaching it from the stock bracket then removing the bracket I bent two L brackets into a Z form and remounted closer to the front of the car.

For the intake tubes 2 inch PVC can be used the whole way then which ever reducer fits the filter that you would want to install. I ended up using two 22 degree 2 inch bends for the rear tube and two 90 degree 2 inch bends for the front one. Here is what they looked like before and after paint, which I used a heat resistant flat black from home depot.

Before it was glued together the filters were put on and both were put in place so I was able to draw lines between the different PVC parts so when I glued them I knew they would be at the right angles.

Here is a picture after the initial install.

And after I painted the chrome on the filters.

Overall I am very happy with the install. There is not any noticeable difference in performance or efficiency, but I think it sounds much better than stock. For about $75 for the filters, plumbing and paint, it is far cheaper than the Injen kit.

I apologize that this is not a very good step by step DIY but I just wanted to put the design out there just in case someone else wanted to adapt from it.
Tutorial Tools
By omerfar23 on 09-26-2013, 10:19 AM
can you post a video on youtube? so ppl can hear what this sounds like.

what about the hot air in the engine bay isn't that going to negate all gains? My car's engine bay gets extremely hot. Also, won't the paint eventually melt away since it will be extremely hot?
By schmidtp on 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
Average 73%
Sure, I can see if I can get a video up after this weekend.

From what I have read on the site it is basically a wash between less restrictive but having it be hot air. I would like to eventually build a heat shield between the PVC tubing and filters and the rest of the engine and also run duct work from the front bumper into that area to get more cool air into the engine. I knew the gains in the beginning would be very minimal, probably only a few HP, so what was more important to me was the sound. I also used heat resistant paint so it should be resistant to the heat in the engine bay.
Last edited by schmidtp; 09-26-2013 at 11:41 AM.
By Wheezy C on 09-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Looks much cleaner than the standard dual cone set up. I would recommend finding a muffler shop and have them bend and stretch metal tubing for you to replace the PVC. It will be a more permanent set up and will last longer with under hood temps.

I had a shop stretch metal tubing for me for my DCI set up and total cost me less than $20 for material and work. The filter placement you have does give a clean look.
By Chris_506 on 09-26-2013, 10:10 PM
good job man, great write up althought this could likely be done with metal pipes too which would give better airflow and probably a cleaner look. thanks for sharing
By Kirkies328 on 09-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omerfar23
can you post a video on youtube? so ppl can hear what this sounds like.

what about the hot air in the engine bay isn't that going to negate all gains? My car's engine bay gets extremely hot. Also, won't the paint eventually melt away since it will be extremely hot?
He wouldnt lose power because only at idle while the air start to get warmer. Once the car is moving only cool air is getting sucked in.
By Kirkies328 on 09-28-2013, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_506
good job man, great write up althought this could likely be done with metal pipes too which would give better airflow and probably a cleaner look. thanks for sharing
Metal conducts heat so you would be losing power because the pipes would get really warm
By schmidtp on 10-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
60%60%60%
Average 73%
I'm wondering if that is why the AFE and Injen styles use plastic. I am still thinking of possibly using some duct work from the front bumper but am slightly worried if the tube points directly out the front of the bumper that rain may work it's way up
By dragazn on 10-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Lovely idea to start out on PVC, you can use this to assemble in aliminum once its finalize or steel if needed. If you worry about heat, send it in to get it JET hot coating.
Else take to a muffler shop, they should have part for tubing and weld, if you give them where to cut and where to weld. Mad props man, love DIY.

Please more details on the pipe, a how long is the 2x 90degree bend, and the same with the 2x 22degree?
By StevenY. on 10-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Very nice work. It's always nice to see people being creative.
Comment