E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Anyone in Montreal driving RWD today?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Overspooled
MurderedOut
 
Overspooled's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 c63 AMG Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 338
iTrader: (0)

Anyone in Montreal driving RWD today?

Hey guys, wondering if anyone was in Montreal with a rwd bmw.. Mine is xdrive but looking at the m3.. Only hesitation is the lack of xdrive!!
__________________
2013 C63 AMG COUPE
Overspooled is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
moreno1
Lieutenant
 
moreno1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i E93
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal

Posts: 571
iTrader: (13)

Hey bro
I had the same hesitation as you do 6 months ago when I was thinking of changing my E92 XI for an E93!! You will get mix comments that's for sure. The pro XI will tell you never get an I version. But as for my experience going from an XI to rwd I have to say that in the winter it's a whole different driving. You definitely have to drive slower and the rear slides often but I guess you knew that already. I currently have 17" with good winter shoes on them and honestly it is not as bad as many will say. On heavy snow days it's a little bit harder to get around but nothing too crazy. With the amount of old/young people driving rwd version here in Montreal I always told myself if it was that bad then no one would buy them lol. Off course an m3 is a different beast on its own but my best friends drives his 911 in the winter so anything is possible! All to say I wouldn't change back my 335 E93 for an XI cause I get best of both world (ok driving in the winter and superb driving in the summer plus the top down )! I have my other good friend who's about to sale his 2010 335Xi E92 for an m3 so I say go for it and enjoy the year-round panty drop m3!
__________________
2009 335i E93 /// BSM /// Sport /// Premium /// Codings : bmwmtlcode@hotmail.com /// 313 Performance wheels /// M6 winter set /// 35% Tint /// Gloss Black Grills /// Painted reflectors /// Lux H8 V3 /// Interior LEDs /// JB4-DCI /// Combox & CIC Retrofit /// Aero lip & M3 side skirts ///
moreno1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Beemw335
Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

Posts: 2,015
iTrader: (2)

I drive rwd all day err day. lol but in all seriousness, Ive never gotten stuck, my dad has an x5 so I can say that xdrive is obviously much better than rwd, but you wont have any problems with the right winter tires and being careful.
Beemw335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
subarucanada
New Member
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Have you considered a vehicle with AWD? No matter how much you may love cars, the winter often makes even the best drivers lose confidence in their driving ability.

We recently put Canadians Journalists and enthusiasts in a series of dynamic driving exercises in simulated extreme winter weather conditions, not unlike the ones found in Canada and we have the video for you!

Watch it here


Or Visit subaru.ca/LegacyWinter for more information!
subarucanada is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
997.3mtl
New Member
 
Drives: 11 335 xi
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mtl

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Rwd driving in Mtl

Not easy for RWD when you have ndg-Westmount hills / sloping driveways or just uncleared parking spaces downtown.

Try driving up university street in winter at 6 am January thru to mid march.

I owned the following Rwd cars in Mtl winters and would never do it again.
1988 M3
2005 G35
2006 G35 coupe
( Hakka studded tires )

I had the following rwd cars for summer only: but tested them in winter (terrible).. Even with the weight over the back wheels.

2001 Porsche C2. 996
2006 997 carrera S


I owned a 2009 997 turbo with awd but the clearance is not enough for our 8-10 snowfall dumps..


Porsche owners that drive in Mtl winters usually have a second or third car + indoor parkings.. Porsche brakes are also squirly when wet/ice touches them when you exit a hot garage.

My 2006 335xi had great winter skills but lacked the enjoyment of what a bmw is about in summer.

I just got a 2011 335xi for winter and work..and to me it's the best car out there for montreal 4 seasons...

I recently traded my 997.1 turbo for a 2010 Gt3 (Rwd) and this is by far the best driving car I ever had.. The downside ..it's not made for our roads and potholes..

335xi is the ultimate 4 season car.

My 2 cents as a newbie here ..
997.3mtl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Overspooled
MurderedOut
 
Overspooled's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 c63 AMG Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 338
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.3mtl View Post
Not easy for RWD when you have ndg-Westmount hills / sloping driveways or just uncleared parking spaces downtown.

Try driving up university street in winter at 6 am January thru to mid march.

I owned the following Rwd cars in Mtl winters and would never do it again.
1988 M3
2005 G35
2006 G35 coupe
( Hakka studded tires )

I had the following rwd cars for summer only: but tested them in winter (terrible).. Even with the weight over the back wheels.

2001 Porsche C2. 996
2006 997 carrera S


I owned a 2009 997 turbo with awd but the clearance is not enough for our 8-10 snowfall dumps..


Porsche owners that drive in Mtl winters usually have a second or third car + indoor parkings.. Porsche brakes are also squirly when wet/ice touches them when you exit a hot garage.

My 2006 335xi had great winter skills but lacked the enjoyment of what a bmw is about in summer.

I just got a 2011 335xi for winter and work..and to me it's the best car out there for montreal 4 seasons...

I recently traded my 997.1 turbo for a 2010 Gt3 (Rwd) and this is by far the best driving car I ever had.. The downside ..it's not made for our roads and potholes..

335xi is the ultimate 4 season car.

My 2 cents as a newbie here ..
I go to Marianopolis right up there in westmount.. 335xi drives no problem. I got stuck in a snow bank today though but I was stuck off the ground so rwd or awd wouldn't do much of a difference. Roadside assistance came in handy after 1 hour of shovelling with dad haha
I'm moving on the a c63 coupe very soon as my lease on the 335 is ending in less than 2 months. We will see how that acts in snow with some great tires..
__________________
2013 C63 AMG COUPE
Overspooled is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Overspooled
MurderedOut
 
Overspooled's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 c63 AMG Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 338
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarucanada View Post
Have you considered a vehicle with AWD? No matter how much you may love cars, the winter often makes even the best drivers lose confidence in their driving ability.

We recently put Canadians Journalists and enthusiasts in a series of dynamic driving exercises in simulated extreme winter weather conditions, not unlike the ones found in Canada and we have the video for you!

Watch it here


Or Visit subaru.ca/LegacyWinter for more information!
Got my STi on the side too but thanks for the advertisement!

__________________
2013 C63 AMG COUPE
Overspooled is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
997.3mtl
New Member
 
Drives: 11 335 xi
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mtl

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderedBeemer View Post
I go to Marianopolis right up there in westmount.. 335xi drives no problem. I got stuck in a snow bank today though but I was stuck off the ground so rwd or awd wouldn't do much of a difference. Roadside assistance came in handy after 1 hour of shovelling with dad haha
I'm moving on the a c63 coupe very soon as my lease on the 335 is ending in less than 2 months. We will see how that acts in snow with some great tires..
C63 sexy and powerful car.. And the sound is intoxicating .. I never drove one ..You might be testing Mercedes roadside assistance or taking a few taxi drives.. But I'm told it's worth it for the summer experience
..Congrats.
997.3mtl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Overspooled
MurderedOut
 
Overspooled's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 c63 AMG Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 338
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.3mtl View Post
C63 sexy and powerful car.. And the sound is intoxicating .. I never drove one ..You might be testing Mercedes roadside assistance or taking a few taxi drives.. But I'm told it's worth it for the summer experience
..Congrats.
You should go test drive one. Very solid car and great power. Love my 335 though, great in everything.. practical even as a coupe, lots of power, easily modified etc. The only thing I don't like about the 3 series is the flimsiness on the exterior. The hood, fenders, front bumper etc, are very cheaply made.. You can push on them a little and it'll bend right away. I mean my STi is even more sturdy. When I got stuck in a snow bank today, I had my dad come help me out and he couldn't even push on the front end because he was scared to break something haha! Ohh well I still enjoyed my 3 years with it and hopefully the c63 will treat me well
__________________
2013 C63 AMG COUPE
Overspooled is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
997.3mtl
New Member
 
Drives: 11 335 xi
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mtl

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Enjoy !

My gt3 should keep me addicted enough to not stray away to far


Surprised to hear that your sti body feels more solid.. Perhaps it's something specific to the sti. Our friends have a base model impreza and the sheet metal Feels thinner or less supported than bmw. They swear by Subaru 4 wd
997.3mtl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Overspooled
MurderedOut
 
Overspooled's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 c63 AMG Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 338
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.3mtl View Post
Enjoy !

My gt3 should keep me addicted enough to not stray away to far


Surprised to hear that your sti body feels more solid.. Perhaps it's something specific to the sti. Our friends have a base model impreza and the sheet metal Feels thinner or less supported than bmw. They swear by Subaru 4 wd
gt3 is just awesome man!! Well I mean the STi just shakes and rattles in every way but the fenders aren't plastic like the 335i is. Both cars are great. Enjoy that porsche!!
__________________
2013 C63 AMG COUPE
Overspooled is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST