E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Need help installing Meth Kit

02-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
bamboos
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d 2010

Need help installing Meth Kit

Hello folks,

I have recently purchased a 48k miles, 2010 335d and so far not have seen any issues. It runs smooth with seemingly abundant power from the get go. Of course, I do not have a reference to differently running 335d so its an unqualified statement. But coming from a g37, which I did enjoy a lot, its FASTER.

Having said that, I am a bit worried about the common issues plaguing this model and CBU in intake and injectors seem the most common and high profile for longer term perspective.

Based on my extensive research on this forum and elsewhere, I have considered getting an EGR block/bypass (with or w/o coding), oil catch can and Meth kit. I am betting on Meth kit delivering both short and longer term goals of cleaning up and keeping clean and therefore want to start with it.

I searching every post that mentions word Meth and put together a rough idea on what goes into installing one and then realized I am just not going to be able to do it.

So, would anyone help me direct to a good resource that will show me where each component goes on our 335d? Especially where to put the nozzles and the electrical connections?

Alternatively, if someone can help me install, I can pay. I am in Jacksonville, FL.

Thanx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:00 AM   #2
runbyu1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Exactly same situation for me! Really want to do this, but haven't been able to figure it out and would love help making it happen...
2011 335D M-Sport: Nav, Cold Weather, Harmon Kardon L7 Premium. Mods: Full M3 Interior & M3 Rear Spoiler, JBD Tuner, Black Front Splitters, LED Angel Eyes, K&N Filter, LED Interior Lights. Planned: Intercooler, Meth/Water Kit, EGR Delete (Suggestions!?)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Lots of pictures from various people including me in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981922

Tapping the charge pipe is probably the hardest part and it's really not that difficult. Pics of my install start around post #40
      02-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
bamboos
Rep

Thank you stevers. Really appreciate your guide. I went through the thread and started my own run book of all useful pictures and comments. Once I have enough, I will organize it into something of a diy manual, albeit theoretical. Then... Maybe I can actually do it.. Who knows.

Some questions for all :

If I blocked of egr, would that not eliminate any chances of further build up? There will be oil but it won't create a buildup.. Will it? So assuming this to be true, what advantages would one have in installing WM apart from more power (jbd cheaper and easier) and Egt reduction?

Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
Hoooper
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D

W/m will help clean out the residue that is there now.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
bamboos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
W/m will help clean out the residue that is there now.
Hooper, that was why I wanted WM to be my first mod. However, been researching like an addict so have conflicting thoughts roaming around in my brain.

Will CBU cleaned/eroded by WM eventually lead to issues at DPF? More soot+oil being burned and filterd by DPF?

What I am also thinking (and its a wild thought) that the CBU in the intake system just happens to be there instead of some other point in the whole loop. All this soot will still cause some sort of blockage somewhere? If there was no oil presence, the EGR soot will still end up somewhere, no? DPF?

Again, I just want to admit upfront that I am a noob of noobs as far as cars go. I do like to call myself handy and do a lot of DIYs at home but I have never tackled anything under a hood so far. Its just that this car is so special that I want to keep it for a long time. Hence the brain-picking

Thanx
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Hoooper
Major
Rep

well I started running my w/m setup at about 60k miles I think and have been running it every day since. Im now over 100k miles and no DPF issues that I know of so far. My regens are also still a reasonable 400 or so miles apart. When the w/m went on, the engine had some build up but was not horrible. When I first started with it, after a good dose of w/m the car would always start a new regen cycle, so crap was definitely building up on the DPF when w/m was being sprayed, but it seems to not have had any long term effects that I can tell.

I dont think it just ends up somewhere if not the intake. Once it gets to the DPF it gets burned off later and then leaves the system through the tailpipe. In theory you should actually produce less soot if the EGR is blocked and the engine is clean than in an engine with working EGR.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
bamboos
Rep

Thanx again Hooper. Makes it clearer.

Thought: is the egr diversion before DPF or after? From your explanation, it seems it is before. Why could they have not designed it to be after the DPF so that it is much cleaner before it is fed back to engine?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Hoooper
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboos View Post
Thought: is the egr diversion before DPF or after? From your explanation, it seems it is before. Why could they have not designed it to be after the DPF so that it is much cleaner before it is fed back to engine?
Its before the DPF, and thats an excellent question which I dont have an answer for. In the X5 with the exact same engine, they have one of each type of EGR.
Appreciate 0