E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Are all SS Brake Lines The Same

09-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Are all SS Brake Lines The Same

I am currently doing my research on upgrading the brake lines on my 335i with stainless steel ones. I've seen different brands and the vast majority of the kits sold by various vendors utilize BMW OEM grommets and hardware, which I like.

Now, the question that I have is this: given that I am only looking for ss brake line kits that use original BMW hardware connectors, is there any difference between the different products? Is there a particular brand I should avoid or look for? ...or should I go for the cheapest I can find?

Examples:

Challenge SS Lines Kit ($125):
http://www.wstoshop.com/servlet/the-...e-Brake/Detail

ECS Tuning Kit ($129 - backordered):
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...ines/ES250604/

G-Stop Brake Line Kit ($168):
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...=Sport+Package

AMS Brake Line Kit ($170):
http://www.**********s.com/AMS-SS-Br...-335i-135i.htm

UUC Brake Line Kit ($120):
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp

I can definitely find more examples, but I am sure you get the point...

So what's recommended and what's to be avoided? Are they all the same? Should I just go for the cheapest I can find?

Thanks
      09-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
ModBargains.com
Banned

Drives: JB E92 335i

I would also recommend for you to check out the StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines. StopTech brake lines consist of a TeflonŽ inner line that is covered with a layer of stainless steel woven braid. The Teflon tube is very resistant to expansion under pressure and will not degrade from exposure to brake fluid. The stainless steel braid provides support for the Teflon and the weave is extremely durable against incidental impact and abrasion. StopTech brake lines feature a Clear Abrasion Resistant Cover for maximum protection against chaffing. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all!

- Alan
ModBargains.com is offline   United_States
      09-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.

Drives: '07 E93 335i

I have the Goodridge G-Stops. They have a strong racing reputation. The lines and product assembly is USA, while the fittings are from the U.K. I believe they are the only ones out of your list that have TUV approval. However, while the quality is high and the lengths are correct, they do not use BMW's fitting design, so there is some minor modification needed.

On the other hand, ECS Tuning has fittings that fit the BMW pipe/hose brackets correctly.

I don't know about the others.
      09-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
bump for more feedback.
      02-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Karura
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335is DCT

Bump
Karura is offline   Canada
      02-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
ashmostro
Major

Drives: '13 335is DCT

I have the ECS exactfits and they worked fine. I imagine any of the brands you mentioned would too. Line quality itself is generally the same across well-known brands. Termination quality is what can vary more. The only other brands I am familiar with and can comment on are UUC and Goodridge and they both have great reputations. I wouldn't be scared to buy any of them.

That said, jut be aware if you are replacing the rear mid-lines too that they are a PITA to R/R. Make sure to invest in a pivoting head 11 mm flare nut wrench so you can get the angles you need. Otherwise you'll be at it all day
ashmostro is offline   United_States
      02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
longliven54
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

you are smart enough to stay clear of ebay. i personally went with ECS and will installing those next week. being leak proof ,expansion resistent and oem fitting were my search criteria. actual stopping power comes from pads n rotors anyways. cant go with with any of those brands
cheers
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
longliven54 is offline   Canada
      02-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

I would go with UUC or Stoptech, had Stoptechs on my E34 and VW, both very high quality kits, tested to 4500psi....

That being said, the UUC lines are $40 cheaper and at least as good quality as the Stoptechs, I will be getting them this summer when I do more brake work.