E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Mak's Stage 3 Sound upgrade



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #133
deepsrd
Second Lieutenant
 
deepsrd's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dublin, IE

Posts: 201
iTrader: (0)

Hey Sam,

Yes! I did the L7 retrofit.. it was slooow, as my weekends were occupied with summer sports!
I have to say, L7 is a step better than standard hifi.. AND the flexibility to control the DSP from CIC is a much appreciated option..

BTW, I did not have to rewire the connectors at the Subs, think the pre-LCI does not wire the mids at the subs?

Boy but I did break most of the plastic trim connectors.. My local dealer is awesome and he gave me a bunch of trim pieces when I went in for service.. (he also threw in washer fluids and new number plates) ..

Well re., the trim, if you cant find it, make it.. ;-)
Cant you retrofit the auto AC?
__________________
Retrofits: CIC , 6FL , 6NR, 6NF , Combox ,L7 retrofitCustomisations: GP thunder AL, M3 Steering, Vinyl wrapped M-Sport Steering trim, Pliastidipped kidney grills In Progress: Eject box
deepsrd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #134
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
 
Broken_Gearbox's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2013
Location: London, UK

Posts: 637
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsrd View Post
Hey Sam,

Yes! I did the L7 retrofit.. it was slooow, as my weekends were occupied with summer sports!
I have to say, L7 is a step better than standard hifi.. AND the flexibility to control the DSP from CIC is a much appreciated option..

BTW, I did not have to rewire the connectors at the Subs, think the pre-LCI does not wire the mids at the subs?

Boy but I did break most of the plastic trim connectors.. My local dealer is awesome and he gave me a bunch of trim pieces when I went in for service.. (he also threw in washer fluids and new number plates) ..

Well re., the trim, if you cant find it, make it.. ;-)
Cant you retrofit the auto AC?
I want to know which dealer this is!
Broken_Gearbox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #135
deepsrd
Second Lieutenant
 
deepsrd's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dublin, IE

Posts: 201
iTrader: (0)

One in Dublin, IE ...
Surprisingly you will also get dealers on the opposite spectrum as well here..

Just lucky that I got one which cares for its customers , and they had been brilliant!!
__________________
Retrofits: CIC , 6FL , 6NR, 6NF , Combox ,L7 retrofitCustomisations: GP thunder AL, M3 Steering, Vinyl wrapped M-Sport Steering trim, Pliastidipped kidney grills In Progress: Eject box
deepsrd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #136
cypis007
Private
 
Drives: E91 318d Touring
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Slovakia

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Mak,

I've seen you had for sale latest revision of Professional HU (Rad3 I belive, one with integrated BT&USB), did you try to connect it to the car? Do you know if this HU is any better in compare to RAD2 Professional HU?

Here is what I meant:
RAD3 HU (WITHOUT radiator):


RAD2 HU (WITH radiator):


Currently I have LCI RAD2 and I'm trying to get rid of clicking noise when radio is in 'stand by' mode. I can buy RAD3 for cheap and I'm wondering if is it any better?
cypis007 is offline   Slovakia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #137
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,091
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypis007 View Post
Mak,

I've seen you had for sale latest revision of Professional HU (Rad3 I belive, one with integrated BT&USB), did you try to connect it to the car? Do you know if this HU is any better in compare to RAD2 Professional HU?

Here is what I meant:
RAD3 HU (WITHOUT radiator):


RAD2 HU (WITH radiator):


Currently I have LCI RAD2 and I'm trying to get rid of clicking noise when radio is in 'stand by' mode. I can buy RAD3 for cheap and I'm wondering if is it any better?

RAD2 and RAD3 use the same sound IC and they are very sensitive to the noise.
You can buy and try it but I doubt it will resolve the clicking noise.

However on a brighter side, you will have 6FL and BT.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #138
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,091
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypis007 View Post
Mak,



Currently I have LCI RAD2 and I'm trying to get rid of clicking noise when radio is in 'stand by' mode. I can buy RAD3 for cheap and I'm wondering if is it any better?
B/W there is no RAD3. They all are RAD2. The one with BT and USB is RAD2 V2.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #139
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,091
iTrader: (48)

Long time since I updated this.

I have retrofitted CIC now as my signature mentions it.
So to comply with OEM interface, I have opted for MS-8.

So at the moment I am having following Setup:
1- DSP: MS-8
2- Amp: JL XD 600/6
3- Front speaker: Gladen speakers
4- Under seats: Earthquakes aka SWS-8
5- Rear speaker: German mid (excellent)
6- Central Speaker: Vibe Slick (rubbish and going to upgrade)

I have kept the settings so its all front stage. Rear ambiance is only heard when DSP pushes all the sound / back ground effects to rears.

Overall decent setup. And I don't feel the lack of sub TBH.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #140
mob17
Brigadier General
 
mob17's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Middle Land, UK

Posts: 3,730
iTrader: (4)

Sounds like a great set up, and love the fact you can do this al yourself

What's the next plan for the car?
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
mob17 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #141
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,091
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Sounds like a great set up, and love the fact you can do this al yourself

What's the next plan for the car?
Cheers mob.
I've started few retrofits which were never finished.
Going to concentrate on those and thats it.
Last one (if I get time) would be folding mirrors with auto-dip.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #142
mob17
Brigadier General
 
mob17's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Middle Land, UK

Posts: 3,730
iTrader: (4)

Clear your inbox mak!
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
mob17 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #143
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,091
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Clear your inbox mak!
Cleared bud.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #144
AWebster
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 320d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Essex

Posts: 151
iTrader: (2)

Some really great info in this thread.

I have an E92 with essentially stage 3, using a bit ten, but my knowledge is extremely limited compared to you guys.

I haven't managed to get mine how I want it yet, but will apply info from this thread and review.
AWebster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #145
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,091
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWebster View Post
Some really great info in this thread.

I have an E92 with essentially stage 3, using a bit ten, but my knowledge is extremely limited compared to you guys.

I haven't managed to get mine how I want it yet, but will apply info from this thread and review.
If you follow the xovers given in this thread, I am sure you will get a decent sound.

Funny that you live in Essex so we can meet. I have sold most of that sound system as I have progressed to CIC retrofit and had to go down the MS-8 route, but will be good to hear each other system.

Mine is not loud anymore and its around the sound quality this time.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #146
AWebster
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 320d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Essex

Posts: 151
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
If you follow the xovers given in this thread, I am sure you will get a decent sound.

Funny that you live in Essex so we can meet. I have sold most of that sound system as I have progressed to CIC retrofit and had to go down the MS-8 route, but will be good to hear each other system.

Mine is not loud anymore and its around the sound quality this time.
Using your indicated settings a few pages back had helped endlessly - I've had this setup for a while now but it never sounded quite right.

I have the following

2x JL audio Amp (I can't remember which ones exactly, one powers front components and the underseat subs, and 1x 600? powering sub in boot)
Bit Ten
Focal 100 Krs2 (from memory)
Earthquake subs
JL Audio W13 T5 (didn't want to lose too much boot *******
Standard headunit as I have iDrive

Before I was running the following settings:

Front Components running high pass 150Hz
Underseats running bandpass 40-150hz and dropped down to -9 input
sub I think was at 60Hz

I can't remember the slopes but it sounded good, but not as loud as I wanted and I found it was very bassy up front.

Changed to your settings and raised the front subs from -9 to -2.5 and it sounds so much better.. almost perfect now. To say I am happy would be a massive understatement, have had the setup for a while and had become more and more frustrated that it wasn't sounding how I wanted.

I owe you a beer or two for sure!

I'd be happy to meet sometime so you can listen, by the looks of this thread you will probably be able to tweak it that bit more so it is complete.

Anyway, thanks again!
AWebster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #147
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,091
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWebster View Post
Using your indicated settings a few pages back had helped endlessly - I've had this setup for a while now but it never sounded quite right.

I have the following

2x JL audio Amp (I can't remember which ones exactly, one powers front components and the underseat subs, and 1x 600? powering sub in boot)
Bit Ten
Focal 100 Krs2 (from memory)
Earthquake subs
JL Audio W13 T5 (didn't want to lose too much boot *******
Standard headunit as I have iDrive

Before I was running the following settings:

Front Components running high pass 150Hz
Underseats running bandpass 40-150hz and dropped down to -9 input
sub I think was at 60Hz

I can't remember the slopes but it sounded good, but not as loud as I wanted and I found it was very bassy up front.

Changed to your settings and raised the front subs from -9 to -2.5 and it sounds so much better.. almost perfect now. To say I am happy would be a massive understatement, have had the setup for a while and had become more and more frustrated that it wasn't sounding how I wanted.

I owe you a beer or two for sure!

I'd be happy to meet sometime so you can listen, by the looks of this thread you will probably be able to tweak it that bit more so it is complete.

Anyway, thanks again!
Great mate. Looking at your previous settings, you underseast were getting underpowered.


Hope you liked the settings.

I guess we can catch up on next meeting (check the main UK thread), if that is possible. Would be nice to hear excellent setup.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST