E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > What's the sudden obsession with "drifting" all about?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #45
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
 
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
he was just trying to be an internet gangstar like my boss. lol. nice. 10% bf is not bad at all. i am stuck at 12% and can't wait to drop into single digits.
I like the way you phrased that - "can't wait to..." Confidence will get you there!
mryakanisachoad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #46
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
 
elwesso's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 286
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
he was just trying to be an internet gangstar like my boss. lol. nice. 10% bf is not bad at all. i am stuck at 12% and can't wait to drop into single digits.
No the fact that you're confusing understeer with controlled OVERSTEER might explain something?
__________________
- Wes
1994 Infiniti Q45- First 5-speed swapped Q45.
2007 BMW M Coupe
elwesso is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #47
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Controlled understeer drifting would be possible, but they'd have to label it "plowing", not drifting, and nobody would watch it because it would be so freaking boring and pointless. Not that drifting is that much better IMO, but you have to give guys like Block credit for the precision with which they control the vehicle in "out of control" situations. It's very impressive.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #48
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

I drift because after trying that, street racing, autocross, and track racing is so expensive, drifting is easily the most fun I can have behind the wheel. First because you can tweak caster, camber, toe, tire sizes, etc you can truly make your car your own and have your own driving style. But most importantly, at drift events or secluded spots for street sliding, everyone is there just to have fun. In the end, that's what it's all about. Sure you have professionals who initiate at crazy speeds at over 90 degrees and have their rear bumpers scrape the walls because they get so close. But after the competition you'll see the very same drivers get out of their sponsored cars and slide their shitboxes together, wreck, and be laughing the entire time. The bloodmasters video is a prime example of that.
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #49
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
 
Top_Gear_Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Lol I'm 6'3", 240 @ around 10% bf which means I carry around 25 pounds of fat, not 50. I'll bet you your car that I'm much stronger than your hero. Quit being a little jerkoff and threatening people you don't know with violence.
Top_Gear_Fan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #50
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
 
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Gear_Fan View Post
Thanks! I am really tough. It's nice when people appreciate it.
mryakanisachoad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #51
2013-320i-MSport
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 320i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tokyo

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

In my opinion, Top Gear is a pretty terrible show. I much rather enjoy watching Fast N Loud. Also its intense to see first hand, street racers drifting through the small roads and evading the pigs with creative techniques.
2013-320i-MSport is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #52
Nkc
Captain
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: E89-Z4 35i, E36-MZ3, E82 1M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 619
iTrader: (0)

bring back a 6 month retarded thread to tell us that he thinks Top Gear sucks. Toyko drift was the best movie ever right?
__________________
E89 Z4-35i DCT --- E36-Z3 M-Roadster --- E82-1M
Current BMW's
Nkc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #53
majin ssj eric
Captain
 
majin ssj eric's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Simons Island, GA

Posts: 815
iTrader: (0)

I've never really cared for drifting myself. Just seems rather pointless to me...
__________________
2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport Starfire Pearl/Flaxen w/nav
2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan Sapphire/Tan w/nav
1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
majin ssj eric is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #54
Cozy
Major
 
Cozy's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England

Posts: 1,489
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Please tell me you aren't considering "Top Gear America" as "the" Top Gear.

Top Gear UK, the original, has very little in terms of "drifting". If you've been only watching America version and are judging top gear based on that, please please go watch the original.
I think you are mistaken or a few series behind because in EVERY car test, even if it's a FWD hatch such as the recent episode with a Peugeot 208 GTi, you had Richard Hammond yanking the handbrake and trying to make it look as if the car can drift/is any fun at all. I'm personally tired of all the smoking tyres and dramatics, it's how they base their reviews..."can the car power slide or smoke the tyres? Yup, ok, this car is good and you must buy it". Since when did how well you can power slide a car on a race track become vital criteria and a benchmark to a car's handling?

It's an entertainment show, nothing more, no serious reviews, no real world tests, all it contains is drifting, burnouts and occassional drags which was fun to begin with but is now rather monotonous.

By the way, I've been to watch this show 'live' and let's just say the editing is massive. Jeremy makes a joke and if enough people don't laugh they actually make you all pretend to laugh during a retake. This happens over until they are pleased with the laughter and you stand there in a hot hanger all day for as long as it takes. NEVER go and see this show 'live' if you still like it, totally shatters it.
Cozy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #55
Billup
Oh You Touch My Tralala
 
Billup's Avatar
 
Drives: Your mum crazy.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NC / MI

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

If you've never put a car sideways...., I suggest you give it a go. Pretty thrilling, and challenging. Watch Gymkhana. Who wouldn't want to be able to drift like that?
__________________
2012 Black Motorbike
2008 Red Car
Billup is offline   Azerbaijan
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #56
EmPower
Captain
 
EmPower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 882
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
I'm old enough to know that Top Gear has "drifting" contests and they're stupid.

Completely out of pop culture you say?

http://www.bimmerpost.com/

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800525
I think you mean FIFTH GEAR not TOP GEAR. Tiff and Jason love to go sideways, Jeremy, James and Richard don't
__________________
e92 Schwartz/Koralle Rot/Pappel Grau/ZSP/Sitzheizung

Real Men drive BMW
EmPower is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #57
2013-320i-MSport
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 320i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tokyo

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
bring back a 6 month retarded thread to tell us that he thinks Top Gear sucks. Toyko drift was the best movie ever right?
people have their different opinions. haha you bet it is!!!! [sarcasm] take a look at real street driving in japan maybe youll like it, maybe not but it doesnt matter because everyones opinion weighs the same.

2013-320i-MSport is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #58
turb0mike
First Lieutenant ///M killer
 
turb0mike's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i Racecar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 2,688
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [4.45]
1) Drifting does NOT make you faster around a track
2) Drifting takes a VERY HIGH DEGREE of skill to execute directly
3) I don't particularly like to drift but I have a high respect for those who do it safely around a designated course.
__________________

- turb0mike -
turb0mike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #59
Nkc
Captain
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: E89-Z4 35i, E36-MZ3, E82 1M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 619
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013-320i-MSport View Post
people have their different opinions. haha you bet it is!!!! [sarcasm] take a look at real street driving in japan maybe youll like it, maybe not but it doesnt matter because everyones opinion weighs the same.
Been watching drifting since takumi and his 86 hit the scene...wow I can't believe that was 1998. Anyways, its nice to watch because its' sort of artistic in a way for a car. Other than that, its slow and shreds up tires.
__________________
E89 Z4-35i DCT --- E36-Z3 M-Roadster --- E82-1M
Current BMW's
Nkc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST