E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > wondering how your drive does out there during this storm



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
thung_mail
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 e93
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Post wondering how your drive does out there during this storm

Since the day I came to Canada, this is a chance for me to see how 15-40 cms of snow looks like. Yayyyyyyy,started the car and waited about 5 mins to warm it up then applied the gas and ready went to work.
Could not tell how the first feeling was when driving under this condition. Warning came up when the car was loosing its traction and it was right time to activate DTC ( thanks for bmw about this system )and I could feel more thrust on driving.
How your driving is today ?
If you have to drive today, put extra cares on your driving. Good weekend every one
thung_mail is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
drevil2k2
First Lieutenant
 
drevil2k2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 B8.5 S4
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GTA

Posts: 388
iTrader: (3)

It's a snow day. I was glad my snow blower started.

Now I must think of venturing out and scavenging for food.

Probably will wait until the snow plows push some snow around.

At least we are not in New England!
__________________
Organized crime is alive and well: It's called auto insurance
drevil2k2 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

2 feet in Boston!!! My drive was a piece of cake.....in my new Quattro. There is no way that I would have been able to get here in my 335 with winter tires. People were stuck all over the place.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
abhishriv
Major
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,230
iTrader: (0)

It was a breeze! LSD+DTC really came through last night and today!
abhishriv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
demontwinz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 452
iTrader: (0)

snow tires + slow driving .. no problem. The parking lot is covered in snow tho
__________________
demontwinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Volasko
Major
 
Volasko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,095
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
My commute is going great...... because I'm working from home today!

Just waiting for this snow to stop before I dig her out, she is getting buried!
Attached Images
 
Volasko is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Evochuck
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi 09
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal

Posts: 302
iTrader: (2)

335xi with brand new hankooks, this is more fun then anything.
Evochuck is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
moreno1
Lieutenant
 
moreno1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i E93
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal

Posts: 574
iTrader: (13)

In days like today I sometime miss my E92XI but I have to say that with snow shoes + slow driving I was able to make it to work no problem. In little street where there is more snow it's harder but manageable!
Drive safe folks
__________________
2009 335i E93 /// BSM /// Sport /// Premium /// Codings : bmwmtlcode@hotmail.com /// 313 Performance wheels /// M6 winter set /// 35% Tint /// Gloss Black Grills /// Painted reflectors /// Lux H8 V3 /// Interior LEDs /// JB4-DCI /// Combox & CIC Retrofit /// Aero lip & M3 side skirts ///
moreno1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
asianstutter
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 254
iTrader: (2)

snow tires + AWD + DTC = like driving a dry roads. I love the DTC on these bmw's
asianstutter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
GreekboyD
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posts: 2,414
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [4.00]
Told my manager yesterday I was staying home. He didn't give a single fuck.
GreekboyD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
OEMconcept
 
OEMconcept's Avatar
 
Drives: in the fast lane
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada/U.S

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (10)

still coming down here in Montreal, suppose to add up to 15-20cm + With a good set of winter tires, there really shouldn't be any issues with this weather. Just watch out for the uphills lol. you don't want to come to a stop while going up a hill.
OEMconcept is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
thung_mail
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 e93
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
It was a breeze! LSD+DTC really came through last night and today!
what is LSD. never heard of it before.which models of bmw are offered this feature. i dont think my drive has it
thung_mail is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
thung_mail
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 e93
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianstutter View Post
snow tires + AWD + DTC = like driving a dry roads. I love the DTC on these bmw's
+++++1.how is about DHC...
thung_mail is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
thung_mail
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 e93
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demontwinz View Post
snow tires + slow driving .. no problem. The parking lot is covered in snow tho
++++1 these come first for the days like this...
thung_mail is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thung_mail View Post
what is LSD. never heard of it before.which models of bmw are offered this feature. i dont think my drive has it
Limited Slip Differential. Its only available on M cars I believe. This guy must have aftermarket LSD. Unless your car is x drive its basically a 1 wheel drive car without lsd which is one reason they are so bad in snow. Everyone here that says today was fine with rwd and winter tires has a strange definition of fine. I saw a few stuck on very slight grades. I never would have made it through my Sons school parking lot in mine.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
abhishriv
Major
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,230
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thung_mail View Post
what is LSD. never heard of it before.which models of bmw are offered this feature. i dont think my drive has it
limited slip differential. can only get it aftermarket unless you buy an M car.
abhishriv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
abhishriv
Major
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,230
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Limited Slip Differential. Its only available on M cars I believe. This guy must have aftermarket LSD. Unless your car is x drive its basically a 1 wheel drive car without lsd which is one reason they are so bad in snow. Everyone here that says today was fine with rwd and winter tires has a strange definition of fine. I saw a few stuck on very slight grades. I never would have made it through my Sons school parking lot in mine.
i meant it was "fine" as in terms of not spending time spinning my tires or getting stuck.. not sliding around too much, and being able to get up and down every slope/turn/road condition that i came across on my way to work. I saw suvs and cars slipping and sliding around struggling for traction, and i was able to go on the same roads without any trouble (they probably don't have winter tires).
abhishriv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
bobblehead
Brigadier General
 
bobblehead's Avatar
 
Drives: warp speed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, On

Posts: 3,613
iTrader: (0)

opened my garage door and looked outside and proceeded to close the garage door.
bobblehead is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
i meant it was "fine" as in terms of not spending time spinning my tires or getting stuck.. not sliding around too much, and being able to get up and down every slope/turn/road condition that i came across on my way to work. I saw suvs and cars slipping and sliding around struggling for traction, and i was able to go on the same roads without any trouble (they probably don't have winter tires).
Amazing. Don't know what you classify as hill but cars trying to go east on Lawrence between Leslie and Don Mills were getting stuck....with winter tires. They all got up ultimately but not before backing everyone else up. You must have a miracle car.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
dzlmoose
First Lieutenant
 
dzlmoose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 378
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
My car is sitting in the garage today, luckily we have a snow policy at work so I am just working from home.

I live on a hill and my driveway is an incline so there is no way I am taking my d out till the street is plowed and the snow stops.

This is my first winter with my 335d and I have to say this thing is hard to get uphill when there is snow on the road.

Do you guys turn off the DSC or DTC when trying to get around in the snow? I find the braking the system does for you to be kind of violent.
dzlmoose is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
GreekboyD
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posts: 2,414
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlmoose
My car is sitting in the garage today, luckily we have a snow policy at work so I am just working from home.

I live on a hill and my driveway is an incline so there is no way I am taking my d out till the street is plowed and the snow stops.

This is my first winter with my 335d and I have to say this thing is hard to get uphill when there is snow on the road.

Do you guys turn off the DSC or DTC when trying to get around in the snow? I find the braking the system does for you to be kind of violent.
Are you running winter tires or all seasons?
GreekboyD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
MOAB
Major
 
MOAB's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche & BMW
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,077
iTrader: (0)

Saw a black 323 spinning its wheels on Spadina, at Queen. Poor guy couldn't get going.
__________________
March-November - '09 C4S (PDK, Akrapovic)
December-February - '00 323 (only mod - snow tires)
MOAB is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST