E90Post
 


Supreme Power Parts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 72k Miles Turbo Wastegate Failure



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
EMITTR
Lieutenant
EMITTR's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US-CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
72k Miles Turbo Wastegate Failure

While on cruise control at 90 on I-40 in Arizona my engine light dinged on with a "power reduced warning be careful" and the rest of the message said to get the car into the shop as soon as possible. I noticed no difference in power until I pulled off to get gas. While accelerating onto I-40 again in Flagstaff, there was no mule kick of turbos...problem and I heard the slight telltale distinctive rattle and knew it was a wastegate problem.

Dealer verified - need two new turbos. The OEM emissions warranty covered the N54 turbos up to 70K and I was at 72K. Cost estimate was 7700.00 to replace them both. Lucky for me I had the extended warranty and that paid for it with the 50.00 deductible option I elected. Normally I do not buy the extended warranty but with a turbocharged ride I decided to chance it. In this case it paid off.

So if anyone out there is debating getting an extended warranty - read the posts in this forum from other members as they are invaluable at helping you make the decision. In the end I paid 50.00 for two new turbos under the extended warranty plan (if you don't count the 2500 I paid for the plan) - even still $2550.00 is much better than $7700.00.

Warranty saved my azz!
__________________
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf Elect. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | GP Paint Detail | Rear Fenders Rolled & Pulled
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
1chanc3
Major
64
Rep
1,101
Posts

Drives: 2010 e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
While on cruise control at 90 on I-40 in Arizona my engine light dinged on with a "power reduced warning be careful" and the rest of the message said to get the car into the shop as soon as possible. I noticed no difference in power until I pulled off to get gas. While accelerating onto I-40 again in Flagstaff, there was no mule kick of turbos...problem and I heard the slight telltale distinctive rattle and knew it was a wastegate problem.

Dealer verified - need two new turbos. The OEM emissions warranty covered the N54 turbos up to 70K and I was at 72K. Cost estimate was 7700.00 to replace them both. Lucky for me I had the extended warranty and that paid for it with the 50.00 deductible option I elected. Normally I do not buy the extended warranty but with a turbocharged ride I decided to chance it. In this case it paid off.

So if anyone out there is debating getting an extended warranty - read the posts in this forum from other members as they are invaluable at helping you make the decision. In the end I paid 50.00 for two new turbos under the extended warranty plan (if you don't count the 2500 I paid for the plan) - even still $2550.00 is much better than $7700.00.

Warranty saved my azz!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our turbos covered for 82k miles?

EDIT: Confirmed, turbo with wastegate issues covered for 8 years or 82k miles. See thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729833
OP, I think you got screwed $50 lol....
__________________
2010 335i Coupe- Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
MarcusE92
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wonder Lake, Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Dealer ripped your warranty company, I had mine replaced under the 8yr/82k and they only billed BMW for like $3,400
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
cmg5461
Second Lieutenant
United_States
28
Rep
249
Posts

Drives: 2008 Deep Green 335xi 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Frederick, MD / Brick, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our turbos covered for 82k miles?

EDIT: Confirmed, turbo with wastegate issues covered for 8 years or 82k miles. See thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729833
OP, I think you got screwed $50 lol....
That is correct. I would fight for this as your extended warranty now has a use of $7700 on it.

I know for my warranty, once the total cost of individual repairs of the car exceeds NADA value, they can deny coverage.

Stick that bill to BMW and save the headroom on your warranty.

"b. Aggregate Limit: The Company’s liability with respect to the total of all benefits paid or payable while this Certificate is in force shall not exceed the lesser of:
(1) The Vehicle Purchase Price, as shown on the Certificate Declarations; or
(2) The NADA retail value of the Vehicle at the time of the current repair."
__________________

E90|335xi|6MT|Deep Green|JB4(pump flash 6/6/15)|VMR v810|255/35 225/40 PSS
|VRSF Chargepipe|Tial BOV|
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
HooDat
Private First Class
4
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi 2008
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Va

iTrader: (0)

This 82k/8yr warranty applies to the specific part and is still covered even if your dealership warranty has expired right?
__________________
2008 | e92 | 335xi
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
EMITTR
Lieutenant
EMITTR's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US-CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusE92 View Post
Dealer ripped your warranty company, I had mine replaced under the 8yr/82k and they only billed BMW for like $3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg5461 View Post
That is correct. I would fight for this as your extended warranty now has a use of $7700 on it.

I know for my warranty, once the total cost of individual repairs of the car exceeds NADA value, they can deny coverage.

Stick that bill to BMW and save the headroom on your warranty.

"b. Aggregate Limit: The Company’s liability with respect to the total of all benefits paid or payable while this Certificate is in force shall not exceed the lesser of:
(1) The Vehicle Purchase Price, as shown on the Certificate Declarations; or
(2) The NADA retail value of the Vehicle at the time of the current repair."


Think I will call another dealer and see. I did not see a 2011 335is mentioned on the warranty link but assuming it is covered the same as the e92 335i - turbos on the IS are not different as far as I know so the exclusion of the IS in that may not mean there is different coverage. You would think the warranty company would know that too.

The dealer has always been really good with customer service and the first dealing with the warranty company - they were slightly rude and annoyed because I called them after waiting almost two weeks for them to approve the repair. Not in a rush to slam the dealership but if it is counted against me - I will def find out and have the dealer and them hash it out.
__________________
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf Elect. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | GP Paint Detail | Rear Fenders Rolled & Pulled

Last edited by EMITTR; 06-02-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added text
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
EMITTR
Lieutenant
EMITTR's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US-CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our turbos covered for 82k miles?

EDIT: Confirmed, turbo with wastegate issues covered for 8 years or 82k miles. See thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729833
OP, I think you got screwed $50 lol....
Just looked again - 2011 335is is not on that list. Maybe they dropped 10k off for the 2011+ e92s

LOL on the $50 if I did.
__________________
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf Elect. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | GP Paint Detail | Rear Fenders Rolled & Pulled
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
1chanc3
Major
64
Rep
1,101
Posts

Drives: 2010 e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
Just looked again - 2011 335is is not on that list. Maybe they dropped 10k off for the 2011+ e92s
Well the TSB is pretty old, so they might have updated it since. I would still call another dealership and see if theyll cover it. Same engine, same turbos.
__________________
2010 335i Coupe- Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
EMITTR
Lieutenant
EMITTR's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US-CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
Well the TSB is pretty old, so they might have updated it since. I would still call another dealership and see if theyll cover it. Same engine, same turbos.
Agreed - I want my 50 back if that is the case...gas "moh-ney!" LOL.
__________________
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf Elect. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | GP Paint Detail | Rear Fenders Rolled & Pulled
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
ksalih
Lieutenant
ksalih's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
475
Posts

Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ

iTrader: (1)

It amazes me how BMW dealerships can be so sneaky and/or stingy, especially when dealing with warranty work. I'd stick with it and fight for this to be covered by BMW if you can find paperwork that outlines 82K miles coverage for your year and model.

These are the types of issues that stray me away from BMW as my next buy... sad to say

Good news is you got them replaced, OP. I had mine replaced under warranty, but it wasn't easy. I had to play the "game" with my dealer.
__________________
'08 E92 335i Pre-LCI | Sparkling Graphite Metallic | VRSF Downpipes | Wedge/BQ e30 tune | DCI's | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | NGK 5992 Plugs | Fortune Auto 500 w/ 8k/11k Swift Springs | 28mm ECS solid FSB | M3 Front and Rear Control Arms w/ Rogue Adjustable Toe Arms | 18x9.5 et22/18x9.5 et35 Arc-8's wrapped in 275/245 NT05's | Straight pipes, secondary's replaced with AR20's | Poly transmission mounts | Solid aluminum subframe bushings | A front bumper that looks like I waxed it with 5 grit sandpaper..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
HooDat
Private First Class
4
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi 2008
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Va

iTrader: (0)

OP you may want to check this link:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729833

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooDat View Post
This 82k/8yr warranty applies to the specific part and is still covered even if your dealership warranty has expired right?
__________________
2008 | e92 | 335xi
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
EMITTR
Lieutenant
EMITTR's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: US-CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooDat View Post
OP you may want to check this link:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729833

Also...
Thanks! Yeah, it does not include my model and year. I did verify (verbally - have not seen anything in writing) that the warranty on the 2011 335is is 72k miles. Even so the warranty covered it without any problems and the dealer gave me a 2015 courtesy car to roll abound in while they were repairing it. The Dealer did me solid and even did some extra stuff on their dime. No complaints here except for the turbos going out at 72k miles.
__________________
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf Elect. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | GP Paint Detail | Rear Fenders Rolled & Pulled

Last edited by EMITTR; 06-06-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #13
924er
Major
93
Rep
1,437
Posts

Drives: e92 335i '10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Mine is still covered under 82k/8yrs last time I checked which was a month ago. BMW didn't change anything
__________________
'10 e92 N54

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
bm6w
Private
5
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: e24 M6 / e90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fast Lane

iTrader: (0)

How the hell can new turbos cost $7700
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #15
SGe92is
custom user title
SGe92is's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is (SpaceGrey / Coral)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: View Park, CA (SoCal)

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
Thanks! Yeah, it does not include my model and year. I did verify (verbally - have not seen anything in writing) that the warranty on the 2011 335is is 72k miles. Even so the warranty covered it without any problems and the dealer gave me a 2015 courtesy car to roll abound in while they were repairing it. The Dealer did me solid and even did some extra stuff on their dime. No complaints here except for the turbos going out at 72k miles.
Still waiting for mine to go, almost at 60k now.

What dealer did you go to?
__________________
MHD Wedge Tuned ~ aFe stg2 intake ~ Wagner EVO 1 COMP FMIC
UR catted downpipes ~ ER charge pipe ~ Turbosmart bypass valves
Ohlins Road and Track ~ Quaife ATB ~ MRF solid subframe bushings
BBS CH-R ~ Michelin PSS ~ M3 control arms, sway bars, diff bushings
Gladen One 201 Speakers ~ Gladen D2 100.4 Amp/DSP
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #16
m0ss
hello kitty oke ?
m0ss's Avatar
7
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2012 335is
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Are you modded?
__________________
2012 BMW 335iS / Cobb Stage 2+ (91 ACN ProTuned by Wedge/BQ) / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF Chargepipe / VRSF DPs / Turbosmart Dual Port Kompact BOV
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST