E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > The $350 dollar coilover thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
Game
Brigadier General
 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,962
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
This had been done before... There is a thread on here somewhere. So your 20k+ car you would put 350 dollar coilovers on? Its okay you probably put 87 octane too.


This is not an e36. Shit even an e36 coilover setup is more expensive.

Lets just say you get what you pay for.
This.

You guys are cheap. Suspension for $350...I mean does that seriously sound like a good idea?
__________________
Game is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
WesleyC
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 2,893
iTrader: (20)

Why would anybody ever put $350 coilovers on their car? Not to sound like a snob, but the suspension is one of the most important aspect of a car. Seriosuly, you get what you pay for. I'd be surprised if your car didn't blow up on the road as you're driving.
WesleyC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #25
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

Posts: 3,334
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
This.

You guys are cheap. Suspension for $350...I mean does that seriously sound like a good idea?
lol what are you saying. people buy springs for 100 and put them on. Is that a good idea?

What if KW or BC or AST were 350 dollars. you wouldnt buy it because its too cheap?

a car is not going to blow up or cause an accident just because they installed cheap coilovers. you can google any brand of coils and add "leaking" and hundreds of links will show up. yet no one really is giving me a real reason why not to do it. please tell me what can possibly happen. If you say a leaking or blown strut... WOW. i guess i should dig my grave now right?

Last edited by idrift4wd; 02-13-2013 at 09:52 PM.
idrift4wd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
///M3NACE
Banned
 
///M3NACE's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downers Grove, IL

Posts: 3,907
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
lol what are you saying. people buy springs for 100 and put them on. Is that a good idea?

What if KW or BC or AST were 350 dollars. you wouldnt buy it because its too cheap?

a car is not going to blow up or cause an accident just because they installed cheap coilovers. you can google any brand of coils and add "leaking" and hundreds of links will show up. yet no one really is giving me a real reason why not to do it. please tell me what can possibly happen. If you say a leaking or blown strut... WOW. i guess i should dig my grave now right?
We are merely saying that your car will ride like donkey shit. Why do it? Its such a nice car and yet you want to lower it by these cheap coilovers and make it drive like crap. You can spend 2k on these and we would have the same debate. Its not really about the price but the quality and workmanship that went into these. Many other brands are reputable and are commonly used for a reason.
///M3NACE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #27
Techevo
Evo Junkie
 
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bedford, UK

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i View Post
wouldn't trust my car sitting in those dude. I'm sorry I'm all for a good deal but when they say its to good to be true it probably us be careful and be safe. You have those 7/10 visual : they look like garbage. Have you seen quality suspension at all?
And I wouldn't trust my car sitting on cheap Taiwan/Chinese suspension like BC if someone paid me.

Horses for Courses.

Do you think what a suspension looks like externally gives an indication of it's quality and performance? BC's may look nice on the outside (this is where most of the budget went) but the budget should be spent on the internal stuff where it counts. My KW competiton race shocks look cheap as chips on the outside being zinc plated steel, but the performance is superb.

Have you seen a dyno graph from the so called matched dampers out of a BC kit? Horrendous. How about internal bearing design, or not as the case maybe, meaning as soon as there are side loads due to the macpherson strut design, stiction goes through the roof. Oil viscosity to temp ratio? Rats piss comes to mind.

I'm not saying the OP's coilovers are good, at that price I'd expect them to be very poor, just find it amusing that a person with BC's is lambasting him.
Techevo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
Game
Brigadier General
 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,962
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
lol what are you saying. people buy springs for 100 and put them on. Is that a good idea?

What if KW or BC or AST were 350 dollars. you wouldnt buy it because its too cheap?

a car is not going to blow up or cause an accident just because they installed cheap coilovers. you can google any brand of coils and add "leaking" and hundreds of links will show up. yet no one really is giving me a real reason why not to do it. please tell me what can possibly happen. If you say a leaking or blown strut... WOW. i guess i should dig my grave now right?
No one is worried about springs.

Honestly you think you're getting the same quality product as a brand name product? I guess you've never heard "you get what you pay for". To think you're getting a full setup for less than $90 a corner. That seems fine to you?

It's fine man, you drive a BMW and you cheapened out on one of the most important mods for the car.


edit - Looks like Wesley Crusher beat me to the punch.
__________________
Game is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #29
WesleyC
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 2,893
iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
What if KW or BC or AST were 350 dollars. you wouldnt buy it because its too cheap?
Starting a question with "what if" doesn't add any validity to your argument. If you don't know the difference between quality coilovers and cheap Taiwanese junk, I suggest you do some reading.
WesleyC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #30
Tarty Fruit
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Eastchester

Posts: 40
iTrader: (3)

Project335i is a straight balla. Always feels the need to shit on everyone else's car and posts.

I guess owning a entry level luxury sedan with some nice wheels has made your head swell up three times its normal size. I see ya bruh no surprise you are from mississauga damn fobs.
Tarty Fruit is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #31
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

Posts: 3,334
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Starting a question with "what if" doesn't add any validity to your argument. If you don't know the difference between quality coilovers and cheap Taiwanese junk, I suggest you do some reading.
These are german

please give me real reasons on how these are so dangerous or suck so much.

your argument on saying im "cheap" doesnt make sense if i never bought anything for my car. what if i just kept stock suspension. its funny how you think im going to die.

again if its poor, okay fine. If i cant handle the ride ill go back to soft and high stock suspension. think about it, you're giving opinion on something you never tried. How does that come off? sounds ignorant and negative to me. You guys are purely basing your opinion on the price point. If you compare to other basic coils, they look similar. maybe if it was a better color combo, but basically they are the same. I will comment on the ride when they are installed, but you can keep telling me they ride like donkey shit cause you must have had these before and know.

i can link you to many thread on people hating expensive coils. i love how people attack others with no real valid points. All ive heard is... you're cheap, one of the most important components of the car, these will suck. nothing valid. nothing at all.
idrift4wd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #32
WesleyC
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 2,893
iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
These are german

please give me real reasons on how these are so dangerous or suck so much.

your argument on saying im "cheap" doesnt make sense if i never bought anything for my car. what if i just kept stock suspension. its funny how you think im going to die.

again if its poor, okay fine. If i cant handle the ride ill go back to soft and high stock suspension. think about it, you're giving opinion on something you never tried. How does that come off? sounds ignorant and negative to me. You guys are purely basing your opinion on the price point. If you compare to other basic coils, they look similar. maybe if it was a better color combo, but basically they are the same. I will comment on the ride when they are installed, but you can keep telling me they ride like donkey shit cause you must have had these before and know.

i can link you to many thread on people hating expensive coils. i love how people attack others with no real valid points. All ive heard is... you're cheap, one of the most important components of the car, these will suck. nothing valid. nothing at all.
Where are you reading that these coilovers are German? Maybe I missed it, but I can almost 100% guarantee that they are made in Taiwan.

There is a HUGE difference between quality coilovers and cheap coilovers. Companies like AST, JRZ, Ohlins use world class designers with years of engineering and racing experience to create the best possible coilovers. The R&D that goes into quality coilovers is probably well into the millions of dollars. The materials alone probably cost more than what cheap coilovers sell for. Quality coilovers are built by high-skilled laborers.

Quality design. Quality materials. Quality construction. Why do you think all serious racing teams are sponsored by these companies?

Cheap Taiwanese coilovers are just that - cheap. Think about it. They are made from inferior materials with poor workmanship. What do you end up with? Coilovers that ride worse than the OEM suspension and are almost guaranteed to break. I can link you to numerous threads regarding cheap coilovers completely failing. Have quality coilovers ever failed? Yes, but it's nowhere nearly close to the number of failed coilvers from no-name companies.

If your goal is strictly to go as low as possible and you're on a budget, by all means, buy the cheapest coilovers that you can find, but don't expect them to last you. It's a shame to drive a luxury car and use parts of such inferior quality.

I'm not trying to knock anybody down. I'm just giving my honest, humble opinion.
WesleyC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #33
WesleyC
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 2,893
iTrader: (20)

Just to support my point of how poorly some of these coilovers are constructed, here are some DDM coilovers that failed:



And here is another person who installed some DDM coilovers and they failed almost immediately after he installed them. This was the result:

WesleyC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #34
Game
Brigadier General
 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,962
iTrader: (15)

Just saw you're also in NY with lots of snow/salt, you had better hope those are zinc coated to prevent rust and possibly seizure.
__________________

Last edited by Game; 02-14-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Game is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #35
andrey_gta
Colonel
 
andrey_gta's Avatar
 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

Posts: 2,995
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
subscribed for the thrills
Goodluck
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e46 m3 trans mnt, e36M lip Wishlist: m3 susp, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, finn dif e60


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #36
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
 
hawaiianeze's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
lol what are you saying. people buy springs for 100 and put them on. Is that a good idea?

What if KW or BC or AST were 350 dollars. you wouldnt buy it because its too cheap?

a car is not going to blow up or cause an accident just because they installed cheap coilovers. you can google any brand of coils and add "leaking" and hundreds of links will show up. yet no one really is giving me a real reason why not to do it. please tell me what can possibly happen. If you say a leaking or blown strut... WOW. i guess i should dig my grave now right?
If you did, you would almost be paying the same price as these god awful coils to replace it
__________________
hawaiianeze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #37
SOL403
First Lieutenant
 
SOL403's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

Subscribed for the updates! Good luck!
__________________

Mtec AE - Blacklines - ACS style front lip/roof spoiler/pedals - CF grill/trunklip/licenseplate frame/badges/diffuser - 19" VMR V701 - Michelin PS2 - Res delete - Eisenmann Race - Simota V2 intake - Cyba airscoops - KW V1 coilovers - BMS PBX - Stoptech brake pads/rotors - Mtech rear - Matte Silver Vinyl Wrapped
SOL403 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #38
Tarty Fruit
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Eastchester

Posts: 40
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
You are a mental infant.

I'm saddened that this forum has to deal with children like yourself. Go back on Facebook because you certainly don't belong here talking with adults.


Cute edit. Yes the Volks were more than the RSX (that I bought 7 years ago). Please go.
How about you go away with your negativity? Don't like the coils don't post anything. You made your point after the first post......why keep posting on and on? "DUDE YOU LIVE IN NY EVEN WORSE", did you have these coils? No. Do you know anyone that ran them? No. You have NO facts about these coils so please STFU.

Enjoy begging your gf to pitch in mod $$.
Tarty Fruit is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #39
WesleyC
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 2,893
iTrader: (20)

Both of you have completely derailed this thread. Keep the personal attacks to PMs.
WesleyC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #40
Game
Brigadier General
 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,962
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Both of you have completely derailed this thread. Keep the personal attacks to PMs.
Thread was on track until this guy decided to change the topic and bring up my old car. Odd, I know.
__________________
Game is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #41
SirHoward
Lieutenant
 
SirHoward's Avatar
 
Drives: Da Car I Wanted
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Driver's Seat

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

Sounds good to me, but like I said OP, keep us/me posted..
http://www.jomcoilovers.com/jom-history.php
SirHoward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #42
Down_Shift
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Slay
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beantown

Posts: 273
iTrader: (3)

very curious. You can't even buy $350 coils for a 1992 civic.


reminds me of this video:



although my first impression is joke, i'm not hating. Subscribed to see results.


Game, cRSX ftw bro.



edit--

so what's the difference between the:

"JOM" line http://www.jomcoilovers.com/JOM-Coil...es-E90-93.html

"Cheap" line http://www.jomcoilovers.com/Cheap-Co...es-E90-93.html

and "Budget" Line? http://www.jomcoilovers.com/Budget-C...es-E90-93.html
Down_Shift is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #43
Game
Brigadier General
 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,962
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
very curious. You can't even buy $350 coils for a 1992 civic.


reminds me of this video:



although my first impression is joke, i'm not hating. Subscribed to see results.


Game, cRSX ftw bro.



edit--

so what's the difference between the:

"JOM" line http://www.jomcoilovers.com/JOM-Coil...es-E90-93.html

"Cheap" line http://www.jomcoilovers.com/Cheap-Co...es-E90-93.html

and "Budget" Line? http://www.jomcoilovers.com/Budget-C...es-E90-93.html
__________________
Game is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #44
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,536
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Anyways..you get what you pay for. I'm sure they'll work for a good amount of time. I guess you can compare this to either paying $60 for black kidney grills or spending $5 and getting a can of plasti-dip to spray the grills. On one hand you spend a lot of money for something that'll last you a long time, on the other you buy something that'll wear and tear through time quicker. Not hating OP but don't expect these to last you a while. Again you get what you pay for..KW's are made for top of the line material, if I were you I would have saved up longer and gotten KW's like I did. I worked $8 an hour and saved for 5 months before I could afford KW V1's. But then again maybe you hit the jackpot and got lucky, don't mind the haters dude. And I must say there are some arrogant people on this forum.........
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST