E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > The $350 dollar coilover thread

02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #111
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: Wide Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd
Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i View Post
Just thought I would share my experiance, I went for a ride in a car that just had these JOM coilovers installed. I like stiff and always have stiffer suspension then most beacause of aggressive wheels that I run but wow these things feel like you riding on a board and my lord are the bouncy as hell. He could not even get his coffee and take a sip without spilling it everywhere worst ride I have had in a lowered car and I have been a ton over the years
Quote:
Dude I don't know why you take everything to heart I am just simply stating how the experience was riding with these installed in a friends car. If you read what I wrote then you would see they were installed in a 2000 golf that one of the lots kids at the dealership I work at drives as well as the next day another one of the lot kids that owns a 95 gold went out and got them as well. Both equally road as bad and both felt like riding on a board. After talking to them I get that these are used in the vw scene alot just to get the stance but even they stated they ride fucking horrible. So you don't need to believe me and there obviously not going to post on here considering they both drive golfs. But go in vortech or whatever forum that vw guys regularly use ad they all love them cause there cheap and they go low.
not taking to heart at all I must have missed the part where you said it was a golf.

im just saying for verification, i have no problem giving an e90post member a ride if they are interested. Im hoping these dont ride like that lol i just hope the springs matched up with these dampers arent to rough, bouncy ride would be annoying of course. Im guessing the rebound on the dampers wouldnt be to great for daily but we will see.
Oh no worries dude for the price your lucky if they are built solid and don't break definitely can't expect good ride quality. I just hope for how much more solid are cars are the ride isn't that awful and atleast somewhat bearable. Good luck dude
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #112
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 n54 335i

I had BC coilovers on my STi... and as much as it was a pain in the ass to get them set up properly (hard to do on an inferior coilover), at the end of the day for a street car, they were not too bad.

However, for my sport package 335i, I think i'll let the stock sport suspension die.... then I'll spend the right money on a good set of coilovers.

Like stated earlier in this thread... anything that has a direct influence on the dynamics on the vehicle.... you do not want to fuck with.

Doing so just puts everyone else on the road at the same time as you at risk....

In Winter Mode - Dunlop Wintersport 3D/Sport Edition Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #113
u170who
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: e90 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Koni and Eibach are both top notch companies. You shouldn't worry about any long-term durability issues. I've had Koni Yellows on my car for 10k+ miles and they have been perfect. Eibach springs are stiffer and will offer improved performance over the OEM springs, but if performance isn't your concern, you should be fine with the sport springs. The only reason why I suggest the Eibach or OEM sport springs over OEM non-sport springs is because of possible compatibility issues. I don't know how the FSDs (or any other aftermarket shocks/struts that are meant for lowering springs) will work with the OEM non-sport springs. OEM sport springs are shorter than non-sport springs ( your car will sit ~1/2 lower with OEM sport springs) and are probably a better match. The drop is minimal and you will feel an improvement in the handling of the car.
Thanks Guys. I would have responded earlier, but have been having expensive car troubles since last week. My battery and IBS sensor went out last week, leaving me stranded and scratching my head because the car wouldn't start. Then, the day before my windshield wipers stopped working mid-drive in rain on the highway. After 2 days of grueling digging to see what is wrong, we found out it was the wiper switch and relay. Battery + Sensor + labor = $860. Wiper switch assembly = $540.

Wesley, thanks, I will consider your advice. I have seen certain sites that sell one's that are specific for sport and non-sport though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longliven54 View Post
adding to the post above. just make sure that if you have a sedan ,get sedan sport springs . coupe sport springs are shorter for rear and will make the car look like it got junk in the trunk
going with koni fsd with zsp springs is a great option. it will absorb bumps better than oem yet sharper handleing. service life is around 40-50k miles and koni can be rebuilt. there is a reason why you dont see many koni products on for sale section and if they do show up, they get sold rather quickly. if you havent got rid of your run flat tires, that will change your comfort level day n night
Gotcha. I'll check out ZSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo View Post
I would 100% go for Koni yellows. I think you would find Bilstein HD too firm for the roads you drive on (which are similar to our crappy British roads!)

I really don't like the internal valving design of Koni FSD's and personally think they are a bit of a marketing product.

The theory sounds ok, but to obtain the ride comfort the damping is compromised in respect that the rebound damping in my opinion is too soft.

I've used Koni yellows and Eibach springs before on an E91and with the Koni's damping set at the midway position, the ride comfort was excellent. Really, really nice, on our bumpy roads!

Another advantage of the yellows is the ability to tailor the setup to your preference. If you fit the FSD's and find them underdamped, you're buggered, with the yellows, you can adjust until you're happy.

The yellows have also been around a long time and are a reliable well proven design which will last years. Again, if after say 5 years the damping softens slightly, you can re-adjust back to how it was.
I'll have to look into the price of yellows, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #114
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 328xi

when are you installing these bad boys?
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #115
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba View Post
when are you installing these bad boys?
i've decided to install the first day/weekend it hits 60 degrees in NY. in the meantime ordering spacers.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #116
SOL403
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 330xi

Common man! i wanna see these installed!

Mtec AE - Blacklines - ACS style front lip/roof spoiler/pedals - CF grill/trunklip/licenseplate frame/badges/diffuser - 19" VMR V701 - Michelin PS2 - Res delete - Remus Powersound Quadexhaust - Simota V2 intake - Cyba airscoops - KW V1 coilovers - BMS PBX - Stoptech brake pads/rotors - Mtech rear - Matte Silver Vinyl Wrapped
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #117
2aroundtheworld
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 2006 E90 330xi

the suspense is killing me...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #118
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aroundtheworld View Post
the suspense is killing me...
If that doesn't, these $350 coils just might!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #119
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
If that doesn't, these $350 coils just might!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #120
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
I'd be concerned with the integrity of the materials from a safety stand point. Good metal is not cheap. I've seen some no-name overseas spring kits and coilovers just crack in half.

What are the specs on the spring rates? Progressive? Ride Height Adjustments? Materials?

Honestly, for this much money you could have got a nice set of H&R spring and saved yourself the risk and money. (really not trying to hate but I really wouldn't trust those on my personal car).

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 03-04-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #121
CenCal 335is
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

Drives: 2011 335is Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I would just like to add. If these cheap coilover break or fall apart, it could damage your car, costing you possibly in the thousands to repair, especially on a BMW. Just something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #122
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'd be concerned with the integrity of the materials from a safety stand point. Good metal is not cheap. I've seen some no-name overseas spring kits and coilovers just crack in half.

What are the specs on the spring rates? Progressive? Ride Height Adjustments? Materials?

Honestly, for this much money you could have got a nice set of H&R spring and saved yourself the risk and money. (really not trying to hate but I really wouldn't trust those on my personal car).
Safety standpoint?

What exactly do you think can go wrong? Ive never seen a coilover crack in half. Maybe from an improper installation, but even the better coilovers have the same issues

Not only do many people use these, vendors who are more popular such as ECS sell these coilovers. Many group buys for other forums such as bimmerfest and vwvortex with no real issue and no casualties.

These are cheap, but you must have missed the point of not wanting springs. Ive had race springs ready to install but decided against it. springs are bouncy. yes they lower the car (non adjustable), but ride like crap and will sooner or later destroy my struts. No one has given me a real reason why these are "dangerous" or im putting my self at "risk". The coilover will blow before they explode . For 350, would i pick springs on 70k mile struts or these coils? id pick the coilovers. maybe i should have said 600 dollar coilovers.

i will check on spring rates as i would think they would be pretty high, linear springs it looks like, which coilovers aren't ride height adjustable?, im not too sure. they also come with a two year warranty!

Last edited by idrift4wd; 03-04-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #123
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Come on dude your so defensive your really saying what can go wrong and how unsafe can it really be besides a strut blowing. Man I won't even go into it about ride quality cause already have and I assume that really doesn't bother you but I did a quick search on the net and where they actually bolt up is has shitty welds and has actually just cracked right off while people were driving. Just looking at yours and the mounting point brackets they use they look cheap weak and are welded on not the best that's for sure
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #124
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Come on dude your so defensive your really saying what can go wrong and how unsafe can it really be besides a strut blowing. Man I won't even go into it about ride quality cause already have and I assume that really doesn't bother you but I did a quick search on the net and where they actually bolt up is has shitty welds and has actually just cracked right off while people were driving. Just looking at yours and the mounting point brackets they use they look cheap weak and are welded on not the best that's for sure
Bro... you praise these coils. you seriously would recommend them after seeing these? Also BC are made in taiwan, if anyone cares.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f110...lovers-476809/

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63741

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ilover-failure

OUCH

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1412600

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspe...-week-old.html

http://g35nyc.com/forums/showthread....BC-Coils-FTL-(

Quote:
I used BC Racing Type BR before on a previous car... to put it nicely, they were junk. The shocks didn't last more than a year of street and track use. Coincidentally, their warranty is one year.
-from m3post

Thats just BC coils. Keep talking about how BC coils are the best. Even the best coilovers have their issues. With no experience with them how can you keep saying these are dangerous? Stop it. i can keep posting more. Koni coils, KW, etc. Just because you have a good experience doesnt mean everyone will. at the same time, if someone had a bad experience doesnt mean the product sucks.

Last edited by idrift4wd; 03-04-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #125
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Lol dude you are so defensive like you made these coils yourself or something. Never said BC were the best kid, but bang for buck they probably are and they don't ride like shit or clunk or creek around. You cannot even compare JOM coilovers to even any of the cheaper coilovers on the market so if you think BC KW etc are bad then the JOM are complete garbage. Like I said in the past here I hope everything goes fine for you with these coils good luck

I could do the exact same as you post 100 threads on JOM coilovers as well but I didn't see it necessary in this argument.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #126
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
Costa Rica
Rep

Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Lol dude you are so defensive like you made these coils yourself or something. Never said BC were the best kid, but bang for buck they probably are and they don't ride like shit or clunk or creek around. You cannot even compare JOM coilovers to even any of the cheaper coilovers on the market so if you think BC KW etc are bad then the JOM are complete garbage. Like I said in the past here I hope everything goes fine for you with these coils good luck

riding on a set of extreme drop kit bc coilovers with an additional 20mm shortened fronts and the swift spring upgrade for 12k miles now with zero issues and very oem like riding quality.

Also worth mention them i got them lightly used for under $800 with the damper extenders and new sway bar links and a few other extras, so as he said for money they are the best option. I may save the money on things like lips, spoilers, lights etc but never in a component as important and vital to your safety as suspension.
      03-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #127
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post

riding on a set of extreme drop kit bc coilovers with an additional 20mm shortened fronts and the swift spring upgrade for 12k miles now with zero issues and very oem like riding quality.

Also worth mention them i got them lightly used for under $800 with the damper extenders and new sway bar links and a few other extras, so as he said for money they are the best option. I may save the money on things like lips, spoilers, lights etc but never in a component as important and vital to your safety as suspension.
Thats great, but brakes and wheel & tire are more vital IMO. unless there is utter failure and i die; which i doubt will happen, i will document it.

these coils arent for everyone. Just like raceland dp, ebay intercoolers, replica wheels, china LEDs, ebay spoilers, etc.

If these coils provide a perfect ride height with a livable ride comfort ill be happy. I guess im the guinea pig for durability. Ill take them off if the ride is horrible or if see the coilover seized/rusts.

Im not saying these are the best at all, but why bash it? anyone can post bad and good reviews for products. No way am i saying kw or bc are a bad choice, but there are safety concerns with any suspension parts. saying these will just break is kinda crazy to me. These arent the only budget coils in the market or that e90post members use. megans have been used and like, but people still bash it because its not KW/ast/etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #128
Simple3
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: f10 550i

These are the JOM brand I believe, they are used by the VW crowd and I have read some pretty good reviews on them. Not the most comfortable from what I read but they work and will last as long as you dont dump the car. I guess the more you drop it the harsher the ride good luck dude.. i will be waiting on your results to pick me up a set!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #129
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep

Drives: 07' E92

Jesus Christ, Let the guy do whatever the hell he wants. At the end of the day him using cheap coil overs doesn't affect you at all. I just read 6 pages of non-sense...

| Platinum Bronze Metallic | AA | VMR | ACS | DJApex Eurobox |
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #130
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i e92

so after 1 month of arguing. There is no installation or review?
      03-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #131
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
They would have rusted off already had the OP put them on a month ago so he's waiting for warmer weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #132
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
They would have rusted off already had the OP put them on a month ago so he's waiting for warmer weather.
Appreciate 0