E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Getting text (SMS) messages from my HTC One S onto iDrive

02-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
stroberaver

Drives: E92 335i LCI

Getting text (SMS) messages from my HTC One S onto iDrive

Well I'm stumped as to why I can't get my phone's text messages to appear on the iDrive of my E92. BMW's UK compatibility website lists the HTC One S as supporting text messages with the iDrive.

But the "office" functionality of my phone just doesn't appear to be there on the iDrive. When pairing over Bluetooth, it only provides options to enable telephone and audio functionality. I've made sure to enable message access functionality on the phone's bluetooth, and re-paired, but still no luck.

The only difference I can find is that BMW's compatibility checker refers to the HTC One S running Android 4.0.4, whereas mine is updated to Android 4.1.1.

I don't know enough about Android's updates to have any idea whether this would affect bluetooth functionality, but regardless, I'd love to be able to get text messages from my phone onto the iDrive.

Anyone got any ideas what to try?
stroberaver is offline   United Kingdom
      02-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
stroberaver

Hmm, curious. BMW UK's bluetooth software update checker gives me the UPD01005.bin file as the latest available.

The international site gives me UPD01006.bin as the latest. Results from both sites based on the last seven digits of my VIN, of course.

I did an over-the-air update of my Bluetooth software a few days ago, which I'm pretty sure updated me to the level of UPD01005.bin. I wonder if 1006.bin will help resolve the issue, I presume it should be fine to apply it via USB even though it's not listed on BMW UK, or available over-the-air.
      02-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
stroberaver

Managed to get it working, although I didn't update the software any further. Unpaired and re-paired the car and phone a couple of times, and the messages function came up right away.

I'm guessing that enabling the bluetooth message access on my phone didn't affect any existing pairings. Either way, it works now, and I can get the car to read out any new text messages while I'm driving.