E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fishcake Headlight Moisture

02-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Snyperx
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Question Fishcake Headlight Moisture

All,
I happened to walk around the front of my car the other day and noticed moisture on the inside bottom of my driver headlight. The droplets are bit larger than regular condensation.

Can anyone provide help on how to remedy?? The headlights have been great up to this point. Thanks.
      02-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Snyperx
Lieutenant

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
So I emailed fishcake directly via eBay and here is the response I got:

"Hi,

The minor condensation is most likely happened when the inside pressure and outside are not in equilibrium.

First you want to make sure you don't have any place on the back of the headlight somehow allows water to get in such as the heat venting hole is not pointing up, instead down. Headlight cover are sealed tightly.

As for the condensation itself, here is what to do, open the headlight back cover and park your car indoor throughout the night. Even faster, use hair dryer to blow some hot air in, make sure you don't get too close to melt anything. Once the moisture is gone, throw in some dessicant packs and close the headlight cover and seal it tiely. This will take care the problem, thanks."

Very cool that he responded with some help, but not sure about the part of using the desiccant packets though.
      02-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Bronze
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Virtually all OEMs allow for some moisture condensation in their designs. They usually study the areas in the lamp that are prone to condensation, and then position Gore or other membrane breathing elements that keep water out, but allow pressure equalization and moisture to pass through. You could attach a desicant bag to the inside of an access panel to help prevent condensation frequency, but it can still happen.
      02-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
BOBKUR
Major

Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
So I emailed fishcake directly via eBay and here is the response I got:

"Hi,

The minor condensation is most likely happened when the inside pressure and outside are not in equilibrium.

First you want to make sure you don't have any place on the back of the headlight somehow allows water to get in such as the heat venting hole is not pointing up, instead down. Headlight cover are sealed tightly.

As for the condensation itself, here is what to do, open the headlight back cover and park your car indoor throughout the night. Even faster, use hair dryer to blow some hot air in, make sure you don't get too close to melt anything. Once the moisture is gone, throw in some dessicant packs and close the headlight cover and seal it tiely. This will take care the problem, thanks."

Very cool that he responded with some help, but not sure about the part of using the desiccant packets though.
Buy more China crap and save bags to put in your Chinese Depo headlights. This is even a better bullshit answer than you would get from BMW dealer.
      02-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Snyperx
Lieutenant

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
Buy more China crap and save bags to put in your Chinese Depo headlights. This is even a better bullshit answer than you would get from BMW dealer.
Huh? I know I saw a few threads of people with BMW OEM lights that had condensation issues also. So your comment is a moot point. Just sayin.
      02-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
BOBKUR
Major

Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Huh? I know I saw a few threads of people with BMW OEM lights that had condensation issues also. So your comment is a moot point. Just sayin.
I have owned a set of Depo headlights and finally threw them away because of the water intrusion. OEM lights will show moisture and dry themselves out but the aftermarkets will not. If you look closely at them the bulb covers never seal properly. If you want to solve this OEM is the only way.
      02-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Snyperx
Lieutenant

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
I have owned a set of Depo headlights and finally threw them away because of the water intrusion. OEM lights will show moisture and dry themselves out but the aftermarkets will not. If you look closely at them the bulb covers never seal properly. If you want to solve this OEM is the only way.
Yeah. I am going to attempt to dry them out. They didn't leak at all for over a year. I will probably have to put my ugly amber stock lights back in. I don't have the cash for $1,000 OEM lights. Makes me sick that the fishcakes were $500 when I bought them a year ago.