E90Post
 


Evolve Automotive
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Decision time...need advice!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
steph.uk
325D E92
 
steph.uk's Avatar
 
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SCOTLAND

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Decision time...need advice!

Hi Guys

First thanks for your help in discount topics.

This is now decision time.

Ordered a month ago:

325D M sport E92 - production week 36 (new Energy Efficient car)
Black Sapphire
Jade Grey Leather
Prologic 7
PDC - USB audio interface - Sun protection glasses - Front seats heating

Delivery 1st October (around that)

With my current 520d part ex I got a 7.18% off deal

Then went to another dealer today......

Same car same spec, can get 8.4% (so not so much of a difference)

But they got the following car in stock (cancel order they say)

325D M sport E92 - old model (not energy efficient - same BHP though, but 1 tax band higher and a bit less miles per gallon)
Black Sapphire
Red Leather
Sat nav + Bluetooth telephone
225 M alloy
Front seats heating - PDC
Hifi Speaker

Deal at 15.82% off....

So really tempted to cancel my order (did not leave any deposit, neither signed any paperwork!)

The dilemma is higher spec car (I would loose the prologic 7 though!) but old engine (kind off)
or new engine and not so much spec...

As it is a bigger discount, the monthly payment on PCP is actually cheaper on the high spec car also.

Sorry for the long text but it is difficult to explain in short.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

ST
steph.uk is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
i think you would be happier picking up a car which you chose what options, as you will only kick yourself later when you wish it had some of the options your own specced one would have..

But if your desperate to take delivery of one now then do it


Carlos
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
oops just read its a bigger discount and you will have sat nav!!

which is very good! are you paying yourself or is your company?

Carlos
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
 
Z4 Beemer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK

Posts: 2,353
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
You are right - this is a difficult decision. I think the facts you need to weigh up are:

- can you wait till 1st Oct?
- what do the higher spec options really mean to you?
- what does the slightly less efficient engine mean to you? Are you bothered about emissions and higher tax band?

I think that either way, 'new' or 'old', the 6 cylinder diesel engine will be fantastic.

Good luck in deciding.


Quote:
Originally Posted by steph.uk View Post
Hi Guys

First thanks for your help in discount topics.

This is now decision time.

Ordered a month ago:

325D M sport E92 - production week 36 (new Energy Efficient car)
Black Sapphire
Jade Grey Leather
Prologic 7
PDC - USB audio interface - Sun protection glasses - Front seats heating

Delivery 1st October (around that)

With my current 520d part ex I got a 7.18% off deal

Then went to another dealer today......

Same car same spec, can get 8.4% (so not so much of a difference)

But they got the following car in stock (cancel order they say)

325D M sport E92 - old model (not energy efficient - same BHP though, but 1 tax band higher and a bit less miles per gallon)
Black Sapphire
Red Leather
Sat nav + Bluetooth telephone
225 M alloy
Front seats heating - PDC
Hifi Speaker

Deal at 15.82% off....

So really tempted to cancel my order (did not leave any deposit, neither signed any paperwork!)

The dilemma is higher spec car (I would loose the prologic 7 though!) but old engine (kind off)
or new engine and not so much spec...

As it is a bigger discount, the monthly payment on PCP is actually cheaper on the high spec car also.

Sorry for the long text but it is difficult to explain in short.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

ST
__________________
E89 Z4 sDrive 23i... for the more discerning driver
Z4 Beemer is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
steph.uk
325D E92
 
steph.uk's Avatar
 
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SCOTLAND

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Hi Carlos

Paying the car myself.

the only difference is I would loose Prologic (but still get Hifi) and getting a less efficent engine economy wise (but would I really see the difference on a day to day basis, nobody can tell as yet)

As for the leather color I do not mind as much

The worry is the difference of value in 3 years time. The guy says that sat nav would give me around £1000 more when it comes to sell the car (but I can not believe this as I do think Option do not add much to the car value at the end of the day)

Thanks

ST
steph.uk is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph.uk View Post
Hi Carlos

Paying the car myself.

the only difference is I would loose Prologic (but still get Hifi) and getting a less efficent engine economy wise (but would I really see the difference on a day to day basis, nobody can tell as yet)

As for the leather color I do not mind as much

The worry is the difference of value in 3 years time. The guy says that sat nav would give me around 1000 more when it comes to sell the car (but I can not believe this as I do think Option do not add much to the car value at the end of the day)

Thanks

ST

Steph, you say that but it will be easier to shift on if you have nav!!

i personally do not use it much, but wouldnt buy a BMW these days without it


Carlos
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
 
Hotcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 6,098
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
The worry is the difference of value in 3 years time. The guy says that sat nav would give me around 1000 more when it comes to sell the car (but I can not believe this as I do think Option do not add much to the car value at the end of the day)
Nope, don't believe it at all,the dealer would say Sat Nav would add a grand on selling, as he wants to sell you the car, as it's gonna be hard to shift with the upgrade imminent.
Makes you wonder why the original order was cancelled, perhaps the original purchaser got wind of the upgrade & bailed out.

I'd stick with what you REALLY want and go tell the dealer to stop "blowing smoke up your arse".
Hotcoupe is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 9,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Nope, don't believe it at all,the dealer would say Sat Nav would add a grand on selling, as he wants to sell you the car, as it's gonna be hard to shift with the upgrade imminent.
Makes you wonder why the original order was cancelled, perhaps the original purchaser got wind of the upgrade & bailed out.

I'd stick with what you REALLY want and go tell the dealer to stop "blowing smoke up your arse".
Pro Sat Nav really does add about a grand at re-sale. It's also almost 'expected' on 6 cylinder cars.

Having said that - the engine upgrade will also add value, so in the end I think neither car is an obvious 'bargain'.

I;d say it's just about which options the original poster would prefer. Personally I'd go with the second one, but only if I concluded that I could live without the USB.
__________________
NFS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
mjh93sa
Major General
 
mjh93sa's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire

Posts: 5,078
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If the car is in stock then get your but in the seat and try the HiFi sound to see if it's good enough.

As NFS says, if you're into your sounds is the loss of the USB an issue? Would a CD changer / iPod retrofit work and still save you money?

In this thread there's a discussion on the merits of the newer models. In it I also did some crude figures for the cost savings of the new vs old models and came up with the following:

If we take the average fuel consumption and put that over 36000miles at 1/litre (as being a 3year average) and add the savings in VED that the reduced CO2 figures may offer (again 3 yrs) then the following savings would be achieved by the cars:

318i = 962
320i = 900
325i = 879
330i = 981
335i = 572
318d = 524
320d = 596
325d = 369
330d = 303
335d = 583

From what has been written in this thread the 325d and 330d get the least number of changes:
  • Intelligent alternator control
  • Active aero (kidney flaps)
  • Elctric power steering
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
mjh93sa is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
steph.uk
325D E92
 
steph.uk's Avatar
 
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SCOTLAND

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)



Hey Guys

Decision made...... you all have been really helpful

I stick to original order, (new engine and all the trimmings lol)

Spoke to the dealer this afternoon, and after few calls back and forward, I finally got a deal at 11.32% off (although he took a deposit over the phone this time he....)

Should get a confirmation later on this evening by email.

Thanks to all, I am now happy with the deal.

And should be behind the steering wheel at beginning of October at the latest.
steph.uk is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
booforty
Major General
 
booforty's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

Posts: 8,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Congrats!! Glad you are happy with your deal...
booforty is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
steph.uk
325D E92
 
steph.uk's Avatar
 
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SCOTLAND

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
If the car is in stock then get your but in the seat and try the HiFi sound to see if it's good enough.

As NFS says, if you're into your sounds is the loss of the USB an issue? Would a CD changer / iPod retrofit work and still save you money?

In this thread there's a discussion on the merits of the newer models. In it I also did some crude figures for the cost savings of the new vs old models and came up with the following:

If we take the average fuel consumption and put that over 36000miles at 1/litre (as being a 3year average) and add the savings in VED that the reduced CO2 figures may offer (again 3 yrs) then the following savings would be achieved by the cars:

318i = 962
320i = 900
325i = 879
330i = 981
335i = 572
318d = 524
320d = 596
325d = 369
330d = 303
335d = 583

From what has been written in this thread the 325d and 330d get the least number of changes:
  • Intelligent alternator control
  • Active aero (kidney flaps)
  • Elctric power steering
Thanks mjh

Made the decision, got already Hifi in my 520D and still missing something, so I think would miss Prologic

As to economy, yes it is not a great deal, however I believe that the 325d is the only 6 cylinder engine with Co2 emission at 155g! no other 6 cylinder engine get that low or lower emission as far as I know (even other manufacturer).

ST

ST
steph.uk is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
mjh93sa
Major General
 
mjh93sa's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire

Posts: 5,078
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Congrats!

You don't want to be kicking yourself for the next several years for not having what you really wanted. At least you know that you've thought it all through and come to the decision that suits you.

Now you just have to wait!
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
mjh93sa is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
squeezebm
Colonel
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Notts

Posts: 2,652
iTrader: (0)

Steph, just read all of the post,you've made the right decision
squeezebm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
scooba0010
Colonel
 
scooba0010's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 2,194
iTrader: (1)

right decision

I also went for the 2008 spec due to the paddle shift and newer engine i also got 11% discount .As for nav i was advised that my dealer was paying 750 extra at present and he could see it decreasing over the next few years as the hand held tom toms etc getting cheaper and better ,but he also mentioned that on certain cars like high end 5s m3 and x5 it was expected and they would reduce trade price in reflection so ?? still aint to sure
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
peterg1965
Brigadier General
 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

Posts: 4,133
iTrader: (0)

Cracking deal, I would have been tempted by the 'stock' car as it has the Pronav, but it sounds as though you beat your dealer down to the car you really wanted.

The OEM sat nav issue has been discussed loads of times before but I do think it will be expected on higher end cars and will make the car easier to sell on. I dont necessarily think that cheap Tom Toms/Garmin units etc make up for lack of OEM fit. They dont look right when fitted and it must be a pain to keep having to dismantle the unit each time you step out of the car.

Just my thoughts.
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Cracking deal, I would have been tempted by the 'stock' car as it has the Pronav, but it sounds as though you beat your dealer down to the car you really wanted.

The OEM sat nav issue has been discussed loads of times before but I do think it will be expected on higher end cars and will make the car easier to sell on. I dont necessarily think that cheap Tom Toms/Garmin units etc make up for lack of OEM fit. They dont look right when fitted and it must be a pain to keep having to dismantle the unit each time you step out of the car.

Just my thoughts.
you think wisely old man....

only joking peterg1975, your only a youngsta yourself..


i think Steph has done the right thing keeping to her original order!!


Carlos
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #18
dazzapb
Major
 
Drives: F30 335d M Sport +
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SW London, England

Posts: 1,130
iTrader: (0)

i only got 3% off my car newbie buyer, so wish i knew about coast2coast etc, could of got a shit load more off (£ 2,500)or more options such as tv etc
dazzapb is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2007, 12:50 AM   #19
scooba0010
Colonel
 
scooba0010's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 2,194
iTrader: (1)

name that mean dealer

so others can beware
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #20
silverbmwz3
Colonel
 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Dazzapb> Some people probably get zero, to be honest if I hadn't been researching on here I wouldn't have thought 13% etc. would be possible. You win some you lose some, next time you'll get a blinding deal.
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
silverbmwz3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2007, 03:22 AM   #21
peterg1965
Brigadier General
 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

Posts: 4,133
iTrader: (0)

I only got 6% off my E92. DtD only offer £850 off the same spec car as mine (about 2%) dont know why that is. I know you can get about 11% at www.carfile.net
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2007, 04:03 AM   #22
NFS
Major General
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 9,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
I only got 6% off my E92. DtD only offer 850 off the same spec car as mine (about 2%) dont know why that is. I know you can get about 11% at www.carfile.net
I don't think you can really compare discounts it's only 1/3rd of the equation.

You also have to factor in the finance and trade in aspects of the deal.

For instance the drive the deal 16% discount is conditional on taking out finance at 9.2% apr. Which is on the high side.

The discounts are also higher now than a couple of months ago.
__________________
NFS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST