E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Advice on Pre-LCI E93 non-M-sport prepainted mods...

12-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible

Advice on Pre-LCI E93 non-M-sport prepainted mods...

Thinking of giving my 2008 Space Grey e93 335i non-LCI non-Msport a Christmas present!

I realize there are a LOT of threads on the subject of front splitters and side skirts. But I also know ebay vendors change and products change(these have good reps). Would appreciate anyone with these specific mods to chime in with their experiences. Thx!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271863847043...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301569202035...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Basically, this look appeals to me and if the pre-painted thing is legit and the fitment doesn't suck (I understand some minor adjustment will be expected), it may be worth trying. I am not upgrading the whole front bumper, because, to me, I like the non-msport lines better. Personal preference.

Thx in advance!

2008 335i E93 - Custom Wedge MHD Tune - HPF FMIC - Mr. 5ish intake - ER CP - cp-E catted DP's - Miro 112 wheels

Last edited by AndyW; 12-18-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Bump. No complaints seems good...may have to take a chance...

2008 335i E93 - Custom Wedge MHD Tune - HPF FMIC - Mr. 5ish intake - ER CP - cp-E catted DP's - Miro 112 wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Ordered....I'll post back with my results...

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
chandleerr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Garage List
2009 Bmw 335i  [0.00]
Pre painted parts 99% of the time don't match your paint. Due to fading,etc. usually it's better to stay away and have it matched at your local paint shop.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandleerr View Post
Pre painted parts 99% of the time don't match your paint. Due to fading,etc. usually it's better to stay away and have it matched at your local paint shop.
Yeah...it's a risk. But with gray I am hoping it will be less of an issue. In any case, I got a pretty good combo deal on the lip and skirts from a vendor, so if I have to repaint, so be it. But appreciate the advice.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #6
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (07 335i E93)

Oh no!!! I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've bought two eBay lips. The first I had painted and it was great but one day disappeared off my car. The second one I bought pre-painted and it colour matched fine so I was thrilled. Well, it chips sooo easily and looked terrible until I recently touched it all up.
(I have diy videos on both the lip install and touch up paint, FYI)
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #7
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Oh no!!! I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've bought two eBay lips. The first I had painted and it was great but one day disappeared off my car. The second one I bought pre-painted and it colour matched fine so I was thrilled. Well, it chips sooo easily and looked terrible until I recently touched it all up.
Hi, TVTara! I have watched several of your videos(including the lip one and the side skirt one as well as some others previously) I think we have similar tastes in cosmetic upgrades (expect for the carbon fiber rear diffuser skirts...that's too far for me, but, to each his or her own).

Appreciate you responding to my post. If you don't mind me asking, with the front lip, how much ground clearance did you lose? Looks like less than an inch. Was it noticeable, i.e. you became sensitive to it going over speed humps and such? I am hoping not.

If I have fitment issues I may PM you for advice since you've DIY'd both of these. Is the one in the video the first or second one? I am hoping my front lip spoiler fitment is better than yours....unlike you, I AM pretty picky.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Quote:
Hi, TVTara! I have watched several of your videos(including the lip one and the side skirt one as well as some others previously) I think we have similar tastes in cosmetic upgrades (expect for the carbon fiber rear diffuser skirts...that's too far for me, but, to each his or her own).

Appreciate you responding to my post. If you don't mind me asking, with the front lip, how much ground clearance did you lose? Looks like less than an inch. Was it noticeable, i.e. you became sensitive to it going over speed humps and such? I am hoping not.

If I have fitment issues I may PM you for advice since you've DIY'd both of these. Is the one in the video the first or second one? I am hoping my front lip spoiler fitment is better than yours....unlike you, I AM pretty picky.
I guarantee you it won't be much better unless you buy OEM. The one in the lip video is the first lip I had. The second one is seen in the touch up paint video. Both fit poorly on the sides especially. The clearance from the ground is maybe 3 inches but I'm guessing. There is a huge difference once you add it. You have to go sideways over speed bumps or you scrape.
Sure, any further questions, feel free to PM or DM me on instagram if you're on there.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:48 AM   #9
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guarantee you it won't be much better unless you buy OEM.
Yeah...I know I may end up going there and this will be wasted $$...but at about 50% of the cost...worth the risk IMO. I am going to see what shaping I can do with the heat gun and then use tape every where i can to force the shape I want, if I have issues. At least that is my plan of attack right now.

Quote:
There is a huge difference once you add it. You have to go sideways over speed bumps or you scrape.
I think you are lowered from stock ride height, correct? I am not, so hopefully that will mitigate.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #10
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guarantee you it won't be much better unless you buy OEM.
Yeah...I know I may end up going there and this will be wasted $$...but at about 50% of the cost...worth the risk IMO. I am going to see what shaping I can do with the heat gun and then use tape every where i can to force the shape I want, if I have issues. At least that is my plan of attack right now.

Quote:
There is a huge difference once you add it. You have to go sideways over speed bumps or you scrape.
I think you are lowered from stock ride height, correct? I am not, so hopefully that will mitigate.
Ah yes, I'm on H&R sport springs. You should be ok then. Although you'd look better if you went lower
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 01:12 AM   #11
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes, I'm on H&R sport springs. You should be ok then. Although you'd look better if you went lower
I will at some point...just not as far as yours. Maybe halfway between stock and yours would be good.

I have promised myself (and my checkbook!) that I am not going to upgrade the suspension until something starts to fail, then I am going to do a complete kit upgrade from ECS or BAVauto or something.

Now I patiently wait (hope?) for something to fail...

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 01:20 AM   #12
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I will at some point...just not as far as yours. Maybe halfway between stock and yours would be good.

I have promised myself (and my checkbook!) that I am not going to upgrade the suspension until something starts to fail, then I am going to do a complete kit upgrade from ECS or BAVauto or something.

Now I patiently wait (hope?) for something to fail...
:
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage ->M6

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah...it's a risk. But with gray I am hoping it will be less of an issue. In any case, I got a pretty good combo deal on the lip and skirts from a vendor, so if I have to repaint, so be it. But appreciate the advice.
Space Gray is NOT an EZ paint to match - all the body parts I have added to my SGM car (frt/rear bumpers, side skirts, fenders, hood) were painted professionally by local shop using their computerized paint matching system & 'manual' tweaks for perfect match - even at that they said it wasn't the easiest color to match due to how the metal flakes in the paint 'orient' themselves when spraying & my paint was well taken care of & not faded.

> Plus you have the fact that PU parts such as bumpers/side skirts take the paint differently than metal parts to start with...

> Even if the base color coat is close, once you add the clear coat it changes the shade - so base coat must be adjusted to compensate for clear addition.

> Part prep is very critical to quality of paint job - poor prep means crappy final & chances that the paint won't last. Nothing beats extensive care when manually prepping the parts - plus my local shop gives Lifetime Warranty on paint quality

Mebbe you'll get away with pre-painted parts & it won't be too noticeable, but I'm really anal about my paint matching so I would never buy pre-painted parts. If I had to walk out & see mismatched paint every time I got in my car I would prolly 'stroke' out

If I didn't have the $$ to have parts painted locally I wouldn't bother buying them at all
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//LUX 160 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//AA Stage3//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #14
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
If I didn't have the $$ to have parts painted locally I wouldn't bother buying them at all
I have the $$...and that is my backup plan. Thx for the reply.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

So they arrived and look pretty good, construction and color wise.

Putting the drivers side sideskirt on I've already run into a problem...I've got the middle section "in" but the ends are not going in easily at all. The front is especially confounding. The top part just won't pop in and the bottom hole doesn't line up. Looks like I'll need a lot of force to push it in far enough to get the bottom screw in. Yours in the video looked liked it just popped in. The back also doesn't look like it will line up without one person pushing with their feet while the other gets the screw in. There is no way to get the back two 8mm screws in at all at this point. Am I doing something wrong? Should matter that I started in the middle...any suggestions welcome.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #16
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Looks like I have the same issue as in this thread...sigh. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660068

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So they arrived and look pretty good, construction and color wise.

Putting the drivers side sideskirt on I've already run into a problem...I've got the middle section "in" but the ends are not going in easily at all. The front is especially confounding. The top part just won't pop in and the bottom hole doesn't line up. Looks like I'll need a lot of force to push it in far enough to get the bottom screw in. Yours in the video looked liked it just popped in. The back also doesn't look like it will line up without one person pushing with their feet while the other gets the screw in. There is no way to get the back two 8mm screws in at all at this point. Am I doing something wrong? Should matter that I started in the middle...any suggestions welcome.
Yeah mine fit pretty well. I got mine from jgmods/ tunerstock and I think those are the ones that fit best.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #18
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

My alpine white m3 side skirts were spot on. Some of the weirder rarer colors have problems
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #19
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah mine fit pretty well. I got mine from jgmods/ tunerstock and I think those are the ones that fit best.
Well, the good news is that the front lip fits pretty well and I think looks good, so will probably keep that! Ill look into tunerstock for the side skirts.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

These eBay guys' colour matching is damn impressive. I've bought numerous pre-painted trunk lips/splitters and every time the match is perfect. Fitment is usually 9/10
      02-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #21
AndyW
Captain Slow
United_States
Rep

So I got the tunerstock sideskirts...finally...wow, that was painful. Asked about fitment during the sale they had for $149. Didn't get a response until the price went up to $189. Ordered at $189...backordered for over a month (got one backorder notification, no updates). They didn't ship until right after I emailed asking about my order. They also didn't ship the other item in my order (and still haven't)---LED interior light kit. Anyway...the good news is that tunerstocks sideskirts definitely fit like a glove on an E93...so, happy about that(thx bimmette !). So, if you are going to buy these...get from tunerstock...just don't expect top tier customer service.

On a related note...what is a reasonable price to get these three pieces painted? First quote I got was for 11.0 hours and $608...seems high.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #22
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I got the tunerstock sideskirts...finally...wow, that was painful. Asked about fitment during the sale they had for $149. Didn't get a response until the price went up to $189. Ordered at $189...backordered for over a month (got one backorder notification, no updates). They didn't ship until right after I emailed asking about my order. They also didn't ship the other item in my order (and still haven't)---LED interior light kit. Anyway...the good news is that tunerstocks sideskirts definitely fit like a glove on an E93...so, happy about that(thx bimmette !). So, if you are going to buy these...get from tunerstock...just don't expect top tier customer service.

On a related note...what is a reasonable price to get these three pieces painted? First quote I got was for 11.0 hours and $608...seems high.
Paint costs vary by region but yeah that seems high.

Oh I see now that you're in WA. Should be cheap there. Less than $500.
Appreciate 0