E90Post
 


Evolve Automotive
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Staggered setup and AWD system Issues



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
gqong
Private
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Staggered setup and AWD system Issues

I had the stock 17" rims on my car and the car was running fine. I traded the stock rims for 19" AG 8.5 and 9.5 on Hankook 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 tires and now when the car accelerates I get a type of clunk noise and on deceleration another clunk. I am not sure if the AWD is not liking this combo or what but driving the car feels painful now. I am also lowered on KW v1 about 1.5 inch all around. I think there is some rubbing but im not sure if this is contributing to this type of 'clunk'. Has anyone had similar issues like this? Or know of things to try. I am going to try to raise it a little I guess but I am not positive that is the true problem.
gqong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
gqong
Private
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Welppp...just pulled fuse 26 which disables awd and that just solved all of my answers. Something is acting up with the AWD either it doesnt like the tires or something else.
gqong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Pe90X
First Lieutenant
 
Pe90X's Avatar
 
Drives: xX AWD-BmmR Xx
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: south TX

Posts: 333
iTrader: (1)

if you are correct about the awd system not liking the setup i would guess it may be caused by the chosen tire sizes. i believe 235/35F and 265/30 is our recommended setup.
..as far as pulling te fuse out, i think that may have a damaging effect to our systems by making our the front axels and shaft take a load with out being ingaged? just seems damaging? anywho i hope my 2€ sounds valid and that your car gets back to par.
__________________
Email-jackbailey46@gmail.com

2008 XI, RB's, ECS 3"chargepipe Synapse BOV, CPE Kitty-less DP's, Hks SS Exhaust, Dual Cone Intake, G5 Iso, VW Meth kit, H&R sports + Bilstien, 19's!, M3 Rep-front, LED Halos,M6 shiftknob, 500HP bound!!
Pe90X is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
gqong
Private
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

yeah i only ran it as a test ot figure out what was going on. the driveability was so bad it was clunking back and forth I just need to now find a solution to fix this. if it is indeed the tire ratios or is there an underlying issue. i thought people with XI's/lowered have run this size before. they are hankook tires so im not sure if that is the problem with just the sizes, i know there was a recommended size of 235/35 and 265/30 but could just those small differences have such a devastating effect??!?!??
gqong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
serotoninsteve
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Luxemburg

Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

I had the exact same problem,
I was running stock measure 225/40-18 and 255/35-18 but different brands,
used Michelin's front and new Hankook S1's rear.

The dealer always blamed them for not being RFT's,
showed me that by putting on all around 225-17 BMW RFT winter tyres the problem went away.
Of course they wanted to sell new BMW tyres.

They never said that the only reason was the different running diameters.

I then asked for a piece of electrical wire, about 2,10m long and measured the circumference on my own,
there was about 2,5cm less rear then front. Calculated this makes more than 1% difference.
This makes the system think that there is always wheelspin in the rear and engages the front drivetrain much harder as effectively needed.
Together with the sloppy tranny bushings you get a nice plop.
The xdrive system also reacts to this difference and tries to compensate, but mechanically this is not possible as there is no center diff.
My car was almost undriveable, when xdrive engaged the front pulled more than the rear was pushing and reacted unpredictabely with lots of understeer.

Take a wire an test on your own,
then get the correct tire measure.
serotoninsteve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
gqong
Private
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotoninsteve View Post
I had the exact same problem,
I was running stock measure 225/40-18 and 255/35-18 but different brands,
used Michelin's front and new Hankook S1's rear.

The dealer always blamed them for not being RFT's,
showed me that by putting on all around 225-17 BMW RFT winter tyres the problem went away.
Of course they wanted to sell new BMW tyres.

They never said that the only reason was the different running diameters.

I then asked for a piece of electrical wire, about 2,10m long and measured the circumference on my own,
there was about 2,5cm less rear then front. Calculated this makes more than 1% difference.
This makes the system think that there is always wheelspin in the rear and engages the front drivetrain much harder as effectively needed.
Together with the sloppy tranny bushings you get a nice plop.
The xdrive system also reacts to this difference and tries to compensate, but mechanically this is not possible as there is no center diff.
My car was almost undriveable, when xdrive engaged the front pulled more than the rear was pushing and reacted unpredictabely with lots of understeer.

Take a wire an test on your own,
then get the correct tire measure.
i think with my tire size im at the 1% difference as well. were you able to fix your issues with just new tires?
gqong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
serotoninsteve
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Luxemburg

Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqong View Post
i think with my tire size im at the 1% difference as well. were you able to fix your issues with just new tires?
Yes,
I have the new Hankooks S1 EVO2 now in 225/40-18 and 255/35-18
and no more problems at all.

Xdrive is very sensitive,
every little difference in rolling circumference puts stress on the tranny and
transfercase and causes premature wear.

Did you measure your tyres?
serotoninsteve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
gqong
Private
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

yeah i just fixed it by changing the tires. thanks for the help. i went with 235/35/19 and 275/30/19....awd is super sensitive.
gqong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
PSUSMU
Captain
 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 807
iTrader: (1)

It should not be that sensitive. There is a couple % tolerance built in. I run 225/265 without issues.
PSUSMU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
fordperf
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 335xi LCI
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
It should not be that sensitive. There is a couple % tolerance built in. I run 225/265 without issues.
What are your full wheel specs, and on what ride?
fordperf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
PSUSMU
Captain
 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 807
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
What are your full wheel specs, and on what ride?
2009 328xi
KW V1
18x9.5" et19 225/40
18x11" et32 265/35
PSUSMU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Tim603
Captain
 
Tim603's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manchester Nh

Posts: 935
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
2009 328xi
KW V1
18x9.5" et19 225/40
18x11" et32 265/35
did you measure the circumference, is there any difference btwn front and rear?
__________________
Tim603 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
PSUSMU
Captain
 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 807
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603 View Post
did you measure the circumference, is there any difference btwn front and rear?
Original Tires Diameter (in.) 25.09
New Tires Diameter (in.) 25.3
Difference in diameter (in.) 0.217
Percent Difference % 0.856
PSUSMU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Tim603
Captain
 
Tim603's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manchester Nh

Posts: 935
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Original Tires Diameter (in.) 25.09
New Tires Diameter (in.) 25.3
Difference in diameter (in.) 0.217
Percent Difference % 0.856
I believe it has to do with the circumference. The Rear tires circumference and the Front tires circumference and the difference between the two. Your original tires are irrelevant
__________________
Tim603 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
PSUSMU
Captain
 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 807
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603 View Post
I believe it has to do with the circumference. The Rear tires circumference and the Front tires circumference and the difference between the two. Your original tires are irrelevant
That is front/rear. The "original/new" terms are copied from the e90post tire calculator. Circumference is a function of diameter.
PSUSMU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
DonJuan360
Private
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

I'm having these issues since changing from Morr (19x8,19.5)235/35,265/30 to e90 m3 (19x8.5,19x9.5) 235/35&265/35

this is going crazy and undriveable. The only difference is the rear tyres are 35 series instead of 30 series.

While driving my trac control keep coming on which is impossible on dry land, turning it off doesn't help ...

Any ideas or solutions ?
DonJuan360 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #17
_shim
Major General
 
Drives: an e90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 718

Posts: 6,341
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuan360 View Post
I'm having these issues since changing from Morr (19x8,19.5)235/35,265/30 to e90 m3 (19x8.5,19x9.5) 235/35&265/35

this is going crazy and undriveable. The only difference is the rear tyres are 35 series instead of 30 series.

While driving my trac control keep coming on which is impossible on dry land, turning it off doesn't help ...

Any ideas or solutions ?
You realize the 265/35 is taller than the 235/35 right? from reading your post, I get the idea that you already know what's wrong, what more do you want to hear?
__________________
_shim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 04:03 AM   #18
_shim
Major General
 
Drives: an e90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 718

Posts: 6,341
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZhengHellaFlush View Post
Damn you get stang when you have awd. should of went with the box. or just bought a RWD. Upload some pics i wanna see it. always do box setup when you have AWD
the "box?" 'Dafuq are you talkin' about dude? A square setup?
__________________
_shim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
DonJuan360
Private
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shim! View Post
You realize the 265/35 is taller than the 235/35 right? from reading your post, I get the idea that you already know what's wrong, what more do you want to hear?

I suspect this is the issue and as I read more I'm discovering the xi system is VERY sensitive
DonJuan360 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
kamek
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 3,176
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [4.10]
Send a message via AIM to kamek
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
2009 328xi
KW V1
18x9.5" et19 225/40
18x11" et32 265/35
PLEASE post pics of your car to the aggressive XI wheel thread!!
__________________

E92 328xi | KW | AA | LUX | OEM 359M | BMW Performance Exhaust
kamek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
Stievo
New Member
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: boise idaho

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqong View Post
I had the stock 17" rims on my car and the car was running fine. I traded the stock rims for 19" AG 8.5 and 9.5 on Hankook 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 tires and now when the car accelerates I get a type of clunk noise and on deceleration another clunk. I am not sure if the AWD is not liking this combo or what but driving the car feels painful now. I am also lowered on KW v1 about 1.5 inch all around. I think there is some rubbing but im not sure if this is contributing to this type of 'clunk'. Has anyone had similar issues like this? Or know of things to try. I am going to try to raise it a little I guess but I am not positive that is the true problem.

jumping to a 285/ 30 in the rear would make both overall diameter 25.8 inches. or dropping down to a 235 35 front would make it 25.5 vs the 275 30 rear at 25.6
__________________
E90 bmw 335xi CCW, Kw, Afe, Cpe, Ets, Hpf, Cobb.
03 ford cobra (wanna-go-fast-build)
Hellion TwinTurbo 61mm "twins", modmax pistons, built navigator heads, comp custom grind cams (DOHC), 9inch rear Detroit locker 35spline axels.
Too much to list. Goal: 1100rwhp
Stievo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #22
DonJuan360
Private
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

I went back to stock now I have no problem. What's the best tires combo for 19 to not have issues ?


Is it better to go with 18 or run 19,8 & 19,9 ?
DonJuan360 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST