E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turner Motorsport's Performance Software vs. BMS Power Box (PBX)

02-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
BABYHESREALZ
Private

Drives: '08 E92 & '88 E30 Vert

Turner Motorsport's Performance Software vs. BMS Power Box (PBX)

This thread is specifically for E9X 328i or 328xi SULEV cars with N51 engines & may apply to some with the N52 engines.

I've took a look at both the Turner Motorsport's Performance Chip and BMS's Powerbox & cannot decide which of the two is best. Money is not much of a problem, just looking for some good performance gains.

- Turner Motorsport Specifies a 15HP/12LB gain from their remap, which switches the programming for 91 octane fuel instead of 87 & focusing more on low and mid-range torque gains. $499.00

- BMS's Powerbox doesn't say much but a 10HP/10LB gain. They talk about throttle remapping and that their product can change settings to fit your performance need. Doesn't really specify in details of any other improvements but I've heard many people do this mod opposed to the Turner Motorsport's. $279.00

- BOTH of these software removes the throttle deadspots and drastically improves responsiveness.

Has anybody tried any of these software upgrades for their cars & were satisfied with it? Which would work best with noticeable gains and can they both work simultaneously together for added HP & Torque?

Thanks, I know it was a lot to read but I'd figure this would be the only place for honest answers

Last edited by BABYHESREALZ; 02-15-2013 at 10:35 PM.
BABYHESREALZ is offline   United_States
      02-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
OrangeInOhio
Private

Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Garage List
I thought our cars required 91 octane and they were already programmed for that, or am I missing something?

I would go with the powerbox. I like the idea of adjusting it and completely disabling it if need be. That's just me though.
      02-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
BABYHESREALZ
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeInOhio View Post
I thought our cars required 91 octane and they were already programmed for that, or am I missing something?

I would go with the powerbox. I like the idea of adjusting it and completely disabling it if need be. That's just me though.
according to my owner's manual BMW recommends 91 but doesn't really require it. I guess software is detuned to using 87 due to it being an option at the pump. But from what I read the higher the fuel grade, the more HP & Torque your car can make. So if your car is programmed to using 87 it's not really utilizing the full potential of the 91 grade when we gas up. I mean that's the conclusion I can draw.

Having an option of adjusting & disabling it does make sense, but do you think I can use both tune at the same time? Thanks for the reply bro
      02-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
HeelToe
Major

Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
2014 X1 2.8i xDrive  [0.00]
2000 323Ci  [3.00]
2006 330i  [4.50]
2013 BMW 135is  [4.50]
I know your looking for input on which of the two to go for. If you are buying for the remapped throttle response I can't advise. If your buying for the increased hp I would recommend neither. You won't feel 10 or 15 hp or ft lbs of torque.
HeelToe is offline   United_States
      02-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 328i

PBX does not add HP it just tricks the ecu into believeing the throttle is wide open at 100% 60% and 30%
By the throttle being open at 100% it feels ballsy but the reality is, it isn't more HP it is just opening the throttle sooner to give a better throttle response.
However, it does beat stock throttle and is peppier.

Do not expect much of customer service/support from BMS though, they are the biggest assholes in plain english.
      02-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito

Drives: E46 M3

I have the BMS PBX for over a year now. I was very very impressed initially. Through time you become so accustomed to the new throttle response that you begin to want more again. What I do to remember what a huge improvement the PBX is over the stock throttle is that I disable it and ride around for a while in agony. Lol

I do suggest if you buy a PBX buy used. Plenty out there second hand for $100-200. $300 like I paid isn't worth it. Put that money towards the PE. Now with that I AM HAPPY!

By the way, also look into the AA tune. It is the only proven (through dyno) mod that will gain HP. I've read some very good reviews on it.
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
      02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
e92ninja
collector

Drives: bmw 328 xdrive coupe 09

Garage List
2001 BMW 525i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328xi  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian View Post
I have the BMS PBX for over a year now. I was very very impressed initially. Through time you become so accustomed to the new throttle response that you begin to want more again. What I do to remember what a huge improvement the PBX is over the stock throttle is that I disable it and ride around for a while in agony. Lol

I do suggest if you buy a PBX buy used. Plenty out there second hand for $100-200. $300 like I paid isn't worth it. Put that money towards the PE. Now with that I AM HAPPY!

By the way, also look into the AA tune. It is the only proven (through dyno) mod that will gain HP. I've read some very good reviews on it.
what is an AA tune... i thought bout it long and could not figure out what that is
e92ninja is offline   United_States
      02-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito

Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ninja View Post
what is an AA tune... i thought bout it long and could not figure out what that is
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634855
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
      02-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian

This. AA tune or nothing.
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      02-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
OrangeInOhio
Private

Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYHESREALZ View Post
Having an option of adjusting & disabling it does make sense, but do you think I can use both tune at the same time? Thanks for the reply bro
I honestly have no idea if you can do both at the same time. I haven't looked at it much though. My car still has the CPO warranty. I didn't want to mess around with it too much while I still have that coverage. I'll probably look more into it eventually... Just a feeling I have.
      02-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
BABYHESREALZ
Private

Hey guys thanks a lot for your responses. Active Autowerke's tune does sound pretty promising but will it also work for the N51 SULEV cars?

Turner Motorsports has a performance software specifically for SULEV N51 328's and does specify that the tune is different than the one for the N52 engines. The car that I am looking for these tunes for is a SULEV N51 328xi. Would rather do the AA tune opposed to Turner Motorsports because of the plenty who've recommended it.