E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > ZF transmission - oil/filter/seal change + adaptation



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Bicax
Private First Class
1
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barcelona

iTrader: (0)

ZF transmission - oil/filter/seal change + adaptation

Hey guys,

Lately my tranny has been behaving quite erratically, the car would "jump" when shifting (especially between 2nd and 3rd), sometimes the revs would be maintained abnormally high in D, and it felt harsh when changing gears.

ZF quoted me 400 € and the stealer quoted me 900 € for a revision + adaptation, so the choice was easily made and I left it yesterday morning at ZF.

I've been driving the car for a few hours, and I've really noticed a HUGE difference. The gear changes are super smooth, and the shifting is a lot faster. Overall, the box reacts a lot better, and the car is a lot more enjoyable/comfortable to drive

I'm unsure which part is due to the oil/filter/seal change, and which part is due to the adaptation, but I strongly suggest that anyone that has over 100.000km on the counter does both things (the adaptation was optional but strongly advised).

For the record, the guys at ZF told me that even though the oil is said to last a "life time", they strongly advise people to change it every 120.000km, especially if you are inclined to a more spirited driving.

He also mentioned that the life expectancy of the transmission is somewhere between 300.000 and 400.000km if you take good care of it. I guess the car won't last me 10 years after all

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Hoooper
Major
13
Rep
1,019
Posts

 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

I noticed a difference after I did my fluid change and reset the adaptations as well. Mines only just passed 60k miles so I shouldnt notice a big difference but you can tell there is a small change.

If the trans lasts 300,000km-400,000km IMO that is pretty reasonable, especially in a diesel. There are guys out there in dodge rams (with cummins) pushing 1 million miles on the original motor and on their 7th transmission. Particularly with an automatic it seems like you are pretty lucky to get 200k miles out of one
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,327
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Just had mine changed on Tuesday (50k miles). Didn't reset adaptations. I was told by a ZF rep that I WAS to have them reset and I was also told by another ZF rep the an oil change wasn't reason to reset them. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
Puerto Rico
37
Rep
2,875
Posts

 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

uummm sounds like I might do mines with AMSOIL, gracias amigos for the insight
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Hoooper
Major
13
Rep
1,019
Posts

 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

does amsoil offer a correct fluid for this tranny? The tranny doesnt take just any fluid and AFAIK there are only about 4 fluids generally accepted as being the "compatible". Heres a quick list I found: Pentosin ATF1, ZF LifeGuard 6, Red Line D4 ATF, BMW OEM. Basically it needs to be M1375.4.

Personally, its not worth it to risk a $5,000+ transmission by using fluid that may or may not meet the requirements just to save $50 every 30k-60k miles
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
Puerto Rico
37
Rep
2,875
Posts

 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Hoop Ive always used AMSOIL but I will inquire if their MT Fluid is recommended, usually when they have a product that is not in their listing for a particular car they will inform you on this .

Here's something I came across:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

This is what I built in their website:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...011+BMW+335D+J

and NO!! amigos Im NOT a dealer or distributor for them ok!!! LOL
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate

Last edited by Puerto Rican 335d; 08-02-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
yatzee
Retired TDI guy
yatzee's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
89
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
resetting adaptation - do you need to have a BT or can you do the 'key on, hold accel pedal to floor' trick?
__________________
2009 335d - JDB - MS-8
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Hoooper
Major
13
Rep
1,019
Posts

 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Hoop Ive always used AMSOIL but I will inquire if their MT Fluid is recommended, usually when they have a product that is not in their listing for a particular car they will inform you on this .

Here's something I came across:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

This is what I built in their website:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...011+BMW+335D+J

and NO!! amigos Im NOT a dealer or distributor for them ok!!! LOL
im just sayin I dont see the point. ZF lifeguard isnt overly expensive and its been proven to be a good fluid for us, especially when fluid/filter changes are done as they should be. If there were issues with the fluid I would understand looking for a better one but thats not an issue here and im not really one to take a risk when theres no reward

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatzee View Post
resetting adaptation - do you need to have a BT or can you do the 'key on, hold accel pedal to floor' trick?
I used BT, im sure there is another tool that the dealer uses
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
Puerto Rico
37
Rep
2,875
Posts

 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

I understand amigo but i will take the plunge for you LOL
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Bicax
Private First Class
1
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barcelona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatzee View Post
resetting adaptation - do you need to have a BT or can you do the 'key on, hold accel pedal to floor' trick?
It's different from the "key on, accel" trick. They connect a computer to your car.

I forgot to mention that my car just hit 170.000km on the counter, which may explain why I saw such a noticeable difference.

However, I just came home from a 3.000km holiday trip, and the gears still change smoothly but that damn "jump" between 2° and 3° just reappeared... I can reproduce it frequently in manual mode, simply by switching from 2° to 3°. Doesn't happen in other gears, and doesn't happen when going down from 3° to 2°.

My car has no engine mods other than the DTUK (and if I remove it for a couple of days the problem persists, so I don't think it could be that).

I'll try to go back to ZF whenever I can to get it checked again.

The reason I go to ZF is that it's a helluva lot cheaper than what BMW quoted me while allowing me to maintain the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,327
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
It's different from the "key on, accel" trick. They connect a computer to your car.

I forgot to mention that my car just hit 170.000km on the counter, which may explain why I saw such a noticeable difference.

However, I just came home from a 3.000km holiday trip, and the gears still change smoothly but that damn "jump" between 2° and 3° just reappeared... I can reproduce it frequently in manual mode, simply by switching from 2° to 3°. Doesn't happen in other gears, and doesn't happen when going down from 3° to 2°.

My car has no engine mods other than the DTUK (and if I remove it for a couple of days the problem persists, so I don't think it could be that).

I'll try to go back to ZF whenever I can to get it checked again.

The reason I go to ZF is that it's a helluva lot cheaper than what BMW quoted me while allowing me to maintain the warranty.
Eh. Just take a stroll down La Rambla, swing by that excellent farmers market of yours for some food and wine and forget bout it.


Btw.I think the jump is normal and related to BMW programming.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Bicax
Private First Class
1
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barcelona

iTrader: (0)

I will follow your advice, but I'll do it on my 125cc scooter, driving like a maniac, swinging between cars

If anyone else could confirm the fact that the "jump" between 2° and 3° is common on this car I would appreciate it since I could put this matter to rest.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
Puerto Rico
37
Rep
2,875
Posts

 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Bicax is MESTRES Cava selling their wine i happened to meet the owner in Barcelona back in the 90's when my ship was their and i gave him a tour of it and he gave me tickets to go the festival in San Sadurni de Anoia boy i had a blast he used to be an old Navy Captain en la Armada( I beleive he might of passed away by now). Coņo que mucho yo bebi I miss Europe!!

BTW thier Cava was excellent for me better than Freixenet and other i sampled during that day
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
335dM
Major
24
Rep
1,039
Posts

 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Did my fluid tranny change last night along with adaptation using OEM oil! Wow what a change in gear shift. Even at cold temps in DS mode the gears shift lot smoother even with JBD
Change diff oil at the same time , engine oil, coolant flush
Using all stock oil
Cost me 500$ CAD money total with labor
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Bicax
Private First Class
1
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barcelona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto 77
Bicax is MESTRES Cava selling their wine i happened to meet the owner in Barcelona back in the 90's when my ship was their and i gave him a tour of it and he gave me tickets to go the festival in San Sadurni de Anoia boy i had a blast he used to be an old Navy Captain en la Armada( I beleive he might of passed away by now). Coņo que mucho yo bebi I miss Europe!!

BTW thier Cava was excellent for me better than Freixenet and other i sampled during that day
Hahaha, yes, they still exist. Very nice cava indeed.

Next time you drop by to taste it, give me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Hoooper
Major
13
Rep
1,019
Posts

 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

Bicax is the jump you are talking about the torque converter locking up? Does this happen manual shifting around 2k rpm and not heavy on the pedal?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
Bicax
Private First Class
1
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barcelona

iTrader: (0)

Exactly, it's as if once I go from 2 to 3 the box doesn't switch immediately, increases the revs a bit more and jumps to 3 (the car goes back and forth a bit, difficult to describe).

Doesn't only happen in manual though, also in D and DS. And always from 2 to 3.

And yes, happens a bit above 2k and even when gentle on the pedal (or maybe more the more gentle I am?).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,131
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
Did my fluid tranny change last night along with adaptation using OEM oil! Wow what a change in gear shift. Even at cold temps in DS mode the gears shift lot smoother even with JBD
Change diff oil at the same time , engine oil, coolant flush
Using all stock oil
Cost me 500$ CAD money total with labor
Is there any chance you would be able to do an oil analysis on these fluids? Would like to compare to what I saw.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=18
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
335dM
Major
24
Rep
1,039
Posts

 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
Did my fluid tranny change last night along with adaptation using OEM oil! Wow what a change in gear shift. Even at cold temps in DS mode the gears shift lot smoother even with JBD
Change diff oil at the same time , engine oil, coolant flush
Using all stock oil
Cost me 500$ CAD money total with labor
Is there any chance you would be able to do an oil analysis on these fluids? Would like to compare to what I saw.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=18
Already got rid of it
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,327
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
Exactly, it's as if once I go from 2 to 3 the box doesn't switch immediately, increases the revs a bit more and jumps to 3 (the car goes back and forth a bit, difficult to describe).

Doesn't only happen in manual though, also in D and DS. And always from 2 to 3.

And yes, happens a bit above 2k and even when gentle on the pedal (or maybe more the more gentle I am?).
IIRC it's an emissions thing. You'll have to take note of the speed. I think I experience this the most often during DPF regen while in city traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
Bicax
Private First Class
1
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barcelona

iTrader: (0)

I thought about it but it happens also with the engine cold, and at different speeds, and it always happens. Might be that though, but it's quite annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
yatzee
Retired TDI guy
yatzee's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
89
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
to be honest, i'm not the impressed with the way that this ZF box behaves with only light throttle. It's not jerky as such, but I'd expect it to be smoother.
__________________
2009 335d - JDB - MS-8
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST