E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just had my car serviced and changed the ignition coil (free).

02-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
raj55
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Just had my car serviced and changed the ignition coil (free).

Just had a very expensive service done by the BMW garage here after two years (I drive very little). The only silver lining was the BMW recall/action for change of ignition coils which was free. That was also the reason, why I had to get it done at the BMW garage, other wise there are very good workshops here doing the same service for 180 Euros. Here are the details for any one interested (who wants to avoid BMW day light robbery by doing some of the things like inspection one by them selves)

This inspection 1 is a true joke. I had my E91, LCI 2009 serviced today and that meant engine oil (castrol edge professional 0w-30) and filter change, cabin micro filter change, spark plug change and also inspection1. The whole thing costs 440 Euro (600 US dollars!!). The whole thing took just one hour. The so called inspection one consists of the following (from the list that I got from BMW after the service and I was present during the service). The guy began by first resetting the service indicator lights inside the car using just the stalk (as you and I would do, no fancy gadgets!) and then proceeded with the service,
Check the following for inspection one,
wiper condition and wiper jet stream, tyres tread and pressure, brake lines integrity, visual check, seat belts, under the car fittings (all covered with plastic shield, so not much to see besides the brakes and wheels!), headlight height adjustment (checked and corrected), indicator signal and all lights in the car, horn check, check and fill radiator fluid, measure brake disc and pad thickness without taking off the wheels, battery charge check, steering check, and finally connect to OBD port and check for any residual warning/messages. There were none. He tightened the oil sump bolt and the filter without using torque set! He obviously knew what he was doing but it certainly is not worth 440Euro.

I had my Toyota Aygo serviced a month ago for 240 Euro and that guy did a more thorough job than the BMW garage. He did all that that the BMW guy did on E90 and even changed my brake fluids on our Aygo and all that for half the service price of E90. The funny thing is that BMW and Toyota share the garage and work side by side. BMW service is a pure rip off.

My advice to all is do the inspection one by yourself and then take your car to the indy guy and get the oil and filter and micro filter changed cheaply and erase all codes/ service indicators.
The next time I am going to do the whole thing by myself and save my self 300Euros! Any one can change oil and filter!

Last edited by raj55; 02-18-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Appreciate 0