E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Passenger door sill plate leak



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Snyperx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stoughon, WI

Posts: 511
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Exclamation Passenger door sill plate leak

All,
Hoping someone can help here. I got to my car after work and noticed that the carpet was wet on the front passenger side floor closest to the door. In looking closer I noticed water was dribbling in on the door sill plate seam closest to the front of the car. I have no clue where the water is coming from. I checked the door seals and they seem fine. Does anyone have an idea? Please help. Thanks.
__________________
Regards,
SnyperX
Snyperx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant
 
07lilredwagon's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 328 wagon
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 525
iTrader: (0)

sounds like it could be your windshield....or possibly the cabin air filter housing cover is not seated and sealed properly...

have you had a new windshield put in recently?....

JP
07lilredwagon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Surly73
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Posts: 723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
All,
Hoping someone can help here. I got to my car after work and noticed that the carpet was wet on the front passenger side floor closest to the door. In looking closer I noticed water was dribbling in on the door sill plate seam closest to the front of the car. I have no clue where the water is coming from. I checked the door seals and they seem fine. Does anyone have an idea? Please help. Thanks.
On E39s and other earlier bimmers this means it's the seal inside the door. On E39s this is a "they all do that (eventually)" problem. It involves pulling the door skin and resticking the foam vapour barrier/sound insulation back to the door frame with butyl tape or similar sealant. No matter what water gets inside the door and in certain situations can't drain as fast as it accumulates. The vapour barrier is supposed to keep the water in the door until it can drain but when it becomes unstuck water comes into the car at the door sills.

Not sure if this is a classic E90 problem or not. I'm guessing not since no one posts about it often. That would be the first thing I'd check. The sill logo plate is a wet zone. There is no critical seal there to keep water out of the car.
Surly73 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Snyperx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stoughon, WI

Posts: 511
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Well i ran my car through the wash yesterday and and as soon as the wash was done I jumped out and opened the passenger door. I could definitely see water dribbling out from between the door panel and door skin. I picked up some new door panel clips and plan on pulling the panel off and looking at the foam sound/water barrier and resealing.
__________________
Regards,
SnyperX
Snyperx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Surly73
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Posts: 723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Well i ran my car through the wash yesterday and and as soon as the wash was done I jumped out and opened the passenger door. I could definitely see water dribbling out from between the door panel and door skin. I picked up some new door panel clips and plan on pulling the panel off and looking at the foam sound/water barrier and resealing.
"Cool". I say that not because it's nice that you have a leak, but that it's good that you know what it is.

On my E39, there wasn't much to break about the clips. I'll be interested to see some pics of how different the E90 might be. Sill logos are a different story, those clips seem to break when you look at them funny, but you shouldn't need to remove that.
Surly73 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant
 
07lilredwagon's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 328 wagon
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 525
iTrader: (0)

Check the door drains first!....they are located along the bottom edge of the door...there should be 3 or 4 of them. they are probably clogged with leaf debris, dirt or other stuff...a plastic trimmer cord material or similar will not damage the paint and you can run it up in there to clean it out....

The vapor barrier alone was not designed to hold water at bay in liquid form...just moisture.....if the water has gotten up that far because it cant drain...you have a potentially bigger problem...like eventual rust and electrical gremlins....


JP
07lilredwagon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Snyperx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stoughon, WI

Posts: 511
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Just got done popping the door panel off. I did not see drain holes on the bottom of the door, but did see two grommets that were about the size of $.50 pieces that I popped out and examined. What was odd is that there were no holes in them indicating they were for drainage. I did not find any debris in them either.



I did find that the bottom of the vapor/sound barrier was in fact detached from the black urethane caulk/sealant. I pressed the foam back on, but will probably be pulling the panel off again and heating the sealant with a blow dryer and reattaching. Didn't have time tonight.
__________________
Regards,
SnyperX
Snyperx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Surly73
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Posts: 723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
Check the door drains first!....they are located along the bottom edge of the door...there should be 3 or 4 of them. they are probably clogged with leaf debris, dirt or other stuff...a plastic trimmer cord material or similar will not damage the paint and you can run it up in there to clean it out....

The vapor barrier alone was not designed to hold water at bay in liquid form...just moisture.....if the water has gotten up that far because it cant drain...you have a potentially bigger problem...like eventual rust and electrical gremlins....


JP
Yes, it is designed to hold liquid, but not for a prolonged period When I posted I assumed the drains were checked. I should not have - good point.

The drains cannot keep up with high water volumes (car washes, torrential rain) and the vapour barrier is meant to hold it back.
Surly73 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Surly73
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Posts: 723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Just got done popping the door panel off. I did not see drain holes on the bottom of the door, but did see two grommets that were about the size of $.50 pieces that I popped out and examined. What was odd is that there were no holes in them indicating they were for drainage. I did not find any debris in them either.
The drains are at the seam weld, not in the bottom of the door. Look at the very edges.
Surly73 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Snyperx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stoughon, WI

Posts: 511
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I ended up finding a small tear in the sound insulation/vapor barrier (See pic) that was allowing water to get in. I tried patching with some Gorilla tape, but no go. I have ordered a new insulation piece.

__________________
Regards,
SnyperX
Snyperx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Snyperx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stoughon, WI

Posts: 511
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
The drains are at the seam weld, not in the bottom of the door. Look at the very edges.
As for the drains, the only hole I could find in the door seam was one toward the back of the door close to the 'B' pillar. Should their be more drains along the seam?
__________________
Regards,
SnyperX
Snyperx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Snyperx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stoughon, WI

Posts: 511
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
UPDATE: My new door liner came in as well as the 3M Window-Weld (same stuff dealer uses). Put the new liner in and will be taking it to the car wash this weekend to test for leaks.
__________________
Regards,
SnyperX
Snyperx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Snyperx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stoughon, WI

Posts: 511
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
UPDATE2: Car wash test successful. No more leak.
__________________
Regards,
SnyperX
Snyperx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST