E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > E30 M3 experience

11-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
slenfe
Private First Class

Drives: e90 330i

E30 M3 experience

I found this channel on youtube which I want to share with this forum, I much enjoyed listening to the passionate owners and the good cinematography, I am curious as well if anyone on this forum has driven an E30 M3 and care to comment on the experience.

11-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Mr&Mrs323i
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 323i TiAg

That was a wonderful video
My wife's car is an '88 E30 SuperETA 4dr and although I drive an E90 I prefer to drive her car.
Mr&Mrs323i is offline   Canada
      01-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
allyourbasearebelongtonik
Registered

Drives: 2006 323i

I owned an 88 M3. After the car was destroyed in an accident I had mixed feelings parting with it. From the first drive home, actually, I had mixed feelings: the car was underpowered, extremely gutless below 4500 rpm, brakes were mediocre, the steering was blah and so on. After a year I upgraded the suspension to bilstein and lowering springs, camber plates, engine rebuild, front end rebuild etc. It was more fun but still a bit of a let down. That semi-trailing rear suspension was dodgy at best! On several occasions, while driving on the QEW the rear end would step out due to road imperfections (similarly same problem on my 95 318ti with semi-trailing suspension).

The only thing I miss about that car is the raw mechanical experience. This thing made a ton of mechanical sounds, it was an extremely visceral experience. I really miss the intake roar and exhaust note, easily the best part about the car. But I have similar experiences with my vintage motorcycles: they are very buzzy and mechanical and extremely visceral, but I get far more out of driving a new motorcycle. My e90 can do things that e30 never could, better and safer.
allyourbasearebelongtonik is offline   Canada
      01-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
slenfe
Private First Class

Drives: e90 330i

great post allyourbasearebelongtonik, I think you touched on all the critical points when it comes to buying a car on nostalgic bases; often Safety, performance, handling take a back seat. although the last two points can be improved, safety will be always much behind today's technology.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyourbasearebelongtonik View Post
I owned an 88 M3. After the car was destroyed in an accident I had mixed feelings parting with it. From the first drive home, actually, I had mixed feelings: the car was underpowered, extremely gutless below 4500 rpm, brakes were mediocre, the steering was blah and so on. After a year I upgraded the suspension to bilstein and lowering springs, camber plates, engine rebuild, front end rebuild etc. It was more fun but still a bit of a let down. That semi-trailing rear suspension was dodgy at best! On several occasions, while driving on the QEW the rear end would step out due to road imperfections (similarly same problem on my 95 318ti with semi-trailing suspension).

The only thing I miss about that car is the raw mechanical experience. This thing made a ton of mechanical sounds, it was an extremely visceral experience. I really miss the intake roar and exhaust note, easily the best part about the car. But I have similar experiences with my vintage motorcycles: they are very buzzy and mechanical and extremely visceral, but I get far more out of driving a new motorcycle. My e90 can do things that e30 never could, better and safer.