E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Protune user with IJEOS

02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Cobb Protune user with IJEOS

Is there any cobb protune user with ecu model IJEOS?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
335iRlz
Major
Rep

Drives: f10m5 gone, m4, GTR, Raptor

I believe that is what I have. Why do you ask?

*don't think I have "protune" though
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
JStang
N54 ADDICT
Rep

Drives: FBO E92 335i

You can't share protuned maps as they lock the maps based on your AP serial number.

Spend the money and get it done. It's well worth it. The reason you get a pro tune is that the map is built specifically for your mods and how your car reacts to tuning. If you are just attempting to grab someone a map from someone else with the same ROM, you are essentially using an OTS map.
      02-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
You can't share protuned maps as they lock the maps based on your AP serial number.

Spend the money and get it done. It's well worth it. The reason you get a pro tune is that the map is built secifically for your mods and how your car reacts to tuning. If you are just attempting to grab someone a map from someone else with the same ROM, you are essentially using an OTS map.
Thanks, im running a bms flash... but wanted to see the improvement of a protune before spending $500 for a legit protune for my motor.

Ill just stick to my bms flash until I find someone local with protune and see how It feels.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

e-tune from protuningfreaks is much cheaper than 500 bucks
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
jazze90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Thanks, im running a bms flash... but wanted to see the improvement of a protune before spending $500 for a legit protune for my motor.

Ill just stick to my bms flash until I find someone local with protune and see how It feels.
Why would you want to spend $500 for it? Get PTF to etune it. You essentially get the same thing in the end and its definitely worth it.
      02-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
zeenon53
Major
Rep

Drives: BMW

e-tunes are the way to go these days. With the amount of cars these guys are tuning you will probably get a better tune than someone local whom has only done a handful of 335's. I had PTF do my tune and I can't believe the gains I got over the stock stage 2+ map. Figure about 700 for the cobb and 200 for the pro tune.
      02-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90 View Post
Why would you want to spend $500 for it? Get PTF to etune it. You essentially get the same thing in the end and its definitely worth it.
I feel as if a dyno tune would be better prepared for hot summer days than a street tune because of IAT...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
I feel as if a dyno tune would be better prepared for hot summer days than a street tune because of IAT...
Not really, I mean a tuning session with the tuner physically there will be better. However, the DME has a couple temp correction factor tables that take car of CATs nicely.
      02-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Not really, I mean a tuning session with the tuner physically there will be better. However, the DME has a couple temp correction factor tables that take car of CATs nicely.
^+1 on the temp correction tables...

Also to the OP if your willing to drive to OC or maybe go to a meet sometime out here...I have an etune from PTF with a E50 mix (but diff rom...doesnt matter much)...I can take you for a test drive...Car pulls hard to redline and I can even spin tires @ 60mph if I want...Its my kill mode map and only comes out when I need a thrill or want to do runs..
      02-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
SIKH335
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.50]
I would love to see a few of these Pro tune cars at Shift Sector. Up until today you mainly see JB4 and Procede cars there. Haven't seen any Pro tune. Also no 1/4mile, 60-130 numbers out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335
I would love to see a few of these Pro tune cars at Shift Sector. Up until today you mainly see JB4 and Procede cars there. Haven't seen any Pro tune. Also no 1/4mile, 60-130 numbers out there.
It would love to see a functioning AT single turbo actual run at shift sector this time, without the Gestapo disposing of all the recordings.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
SIKH335
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335
It would love to see a functioning AT single turbo actual run at shift sector this time, without the Gestapo disposing of all the recordings.
I would also love to see a fully functioning ST 6AT also. Hopefully with my Trans being built you will get your wish. Not to say I wasn't at the last event I sure tried but the Trans had its own idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
busta7777
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: RB N54 335iS

Send a message via AIM to busta7777 Send a message via Yahoo to busta7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post

Also to the OP if your willing to drive to OC or maybe go to a meet sometime out here...I have an etune from PTF with a E50 mix (but diff rom...doesnt matter much)...I can take you for a test drive...Car pulls hard to redline and I can even spin tires @ 60mph if I want...Its my kill mode map and only comes out when I need a thrill or want to do runs..
we should compare are pro tunes
test them out
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
rooringhusky
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335 View Post
Considering Protunes are still relatively new to the market there isnt MUCH data...but there is definitely some data for 1/4mile out there you probabaly missed...I agree I havent seen any 60-130 data...Would love to borrow a VBOX sometime just to see where it stands...are you going to the Bakerfield event since your from the area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta7777 View Post
we should compare are pro tunes
test them out
Im down to clown...Was about to go to Sonics last night but bailed last minute..Shoot me a pm with your number again ill hit you up if I roll next week
      02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90 View Post
Why would you want to spend $500 for it?
Simple. For one, you can get tuned in 90 minutes. For two, many of the confounding variables are better controlled when doing a dyno tune. And for three, safety. Third or fourth gear pulls are risky endeavors on public roads.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
JStang
N54 ADDICT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad335 View Post
Simple. For one, you can get tuned in 90 minutes. For two, many of the confounding variables are better controlled when doing a dyno tune. And for three, safety. Third or fourth gear pulls are risky endeavors on public roads.
Here are slips from my E45 PTF map. This was only my 3rd time to the track and I Can't launch for shit but trap speeds are strong for stock turbos.

The best I have seen is a 135 that ran 11.76 120.7 full weight on street tires. Check it out http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2012...tted-midpipes/

02-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Here are slips from my E45 PTF map. This was only my 3rd time to the track and I Can't launch for shit but trap speeds are strong for stock turbos.

The best I have seen is a 135 that ran 11.76 120.7 full weight on street tires. Check it out http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2012...tted-midpipes/

Those are great times. Nice work. BTW, I wasn't making an argument against an e-tune, and hope I didn't come across that way. Rather, I was merely attempting to answer the question I quoted in my post. I'm not sure how your comments/drag times related to what I wrote, but I will check out the thread link you posted.

There are many different ways to get our cars tuned, which is a real benefit to the community here. We all have choices that we can "tune" to our needs, hahaha.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
JStang
N54 ADDICT
Rep

I was responding to the post that said there wasn't much pro tune data out there. Not sure why I replied to your quote LOL.
      02-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
cookiesowns
;)
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 535i @ 12psi, BRZ Series.Blue

Send a message via AIM to cookiesowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post

You visit C&C Irvine often? Would love to check out your car =)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
rooringhusky
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Those are great times. Nice work. BTW, I wasn't making an argument against an e-tune, and hope I didn't come across that way. Rather, I was merely attempting to answer the question I quoted in my post. I'm not sure how your comments/drag times related to what I wrote, but I will check out the thread link you posted.

There are many different ways to get our cars tuned, which is a real benefit to the community here. We all have choices that we can "tune" to our needs, hahaha.
Like Jstang said he was responding to SIKHs post earlier regarding timeslips...

As far as the E-tune vs Dynotune debate....Both has a positives and negatives so really just depends on the person..

E-tune positives: Real road testing/results (instead of fan blowing at an open hood), Room for future revisions, Cheaper, Access to tuners with experience with N54s

Dyno tune positives: Quick one time deal, No illegal pulls on the road, dyno sheets to confirm results

Just depends on the person...Mine came down to N54 experience, future revisions, and price...but I hope you can see the argument to both choices of tuning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
You visit C&C Irvine often? Would love to check out your car =)
Havent been for some time now...but I would love to rally the troops and make it out there soon...Do you go often? Shoot me a PM with your number whenever you make it out there
      02-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
jazze90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

Quote:
I bet you could do an etune in 1.5 or 2 hours if you brought your laptop with you and organized an etune arrangement with the guys at PTF. They will simply do the same thing they do in a street tune with you. My street tune was done in just about 2 hours as well. Having had my previous cars custom tuned the "good" tuners would always prefer the road anyways over a dyno and it was always no less than $600. It wasn't even the price. Its that after you're done with them there's no more communication back and they just couldn't be bothered after that. Well, they could but you'd have to pay for their time again at full price. I can get in touch with PTF and even ask for updates to my maps through etuning if required and I did a street tune with them.

In terms of gears only use 3rd gear. I'd never do 4th WOT on public roads and honestly 3rd gear will not get you past speed limits too far. If you cannot do a WOT pull in 3rd gear anywhere in your area then why really bother tuning your car for additional performance in the first place?