Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ever hit a pothole with Run Flats?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

02-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
bcornwellatl
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Ever hit a pothole with Run Flats?

So I'm kind of new to BMW and run flats - driving back last night, I hit a pothole in the road at about 70mph - felt like I ran over friggen Godzilla and my car felt like the entire damn thing just blew up - then everything was fine... I know these run flats are not very bouncy - but for those of you who have them - is that normal to feel every friggen crack and pothole in the road? Or- do you think my suspension is f'ed up?

I'm planning to get the Pilot super sports here soon - but just hoping that makes some difference...
bcornwellatl is offline   United_States
      02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Richurd
Captain

Drives: Too slow.

You may have a bubble on the sidewall. Cheers.
      02-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
boris
Борис

Drives: POS 335i

I'd say 9/10 times you'll have a bubble on your sidewall.

stock RFT's suck!

2nd day of owning the car I hit a pothole (raining/dark) and my car too, shuddered like something terrible happened.

Pulled the car into my garage, noticed a nice size bubble in the tire.

Yeah... they suck. Never will I run RFT's again. The price of the Bavarian Autosport spare tire kit will pay for itself if you have to replace a single RFT.
      02-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
RFTs are known for being pretty rough. Plenty of people on here run non-RFTs though and are happy with the results.
      02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast

Drives: 2007 335i

RFTs are very rough and at that speed i doubt the suspension is the culprit, is hard to tell the difference in a car with stock suspension unless you hit a gooood pothole, however take two lowered cars and run the same pothole with RTFs and non RTFs and you will definitely feel the difference!
      02-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
135Pats
Need more fuel

Drives: 135i

RFTS are brutal ditch 'em the second you can. Your description of pothole impact is spot on, its downright jarring.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is online now   United_States
      02-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
FCobra94
Major

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Jarring indeed. I had to get a crack/multiple bends repaired on one of my stock wheels given the sidewall stiffness of the oem rft in general. Cant say I ever cracked or even bent a wheel before, even with multiple cars on low profile tires. Point being, check your wheels for cracks/bends BEFORE getting new tires mounted.
      02-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
So I'm kind of new to BMW and run flats - driving back last night, I hit a pothole in the road at about 70mph - felt like I ran over friggen Godzilla and my car felt like the entire damn thing just blew up - then everything was fine... I know these run flats are not very bouncy - but for those of you who have them - is that normal to feel every friggen crack and pothole in the road? Or- do you think my suspension is f'ed up?

I'm planning to get the Pilot super sports here soon - but just hoping that makes some difference...
Do it! You will never believe the difference until you have driven them on some bad roads.

Your experience is normal with the runflats.
      02-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Jeffjmu1908
Private

Drives: 2006 330xi 2004 325ci retired

That sounds like the experience I've had when I hit a pot hole. It's real embarrassing when other people are in the car. I have to tell them it's ok, it's normal!
      02-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
sohlman
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 330iSE

We used to have a mini with rft's. hit a pot hole on two occasions that I had not seen. Felt like I had gone thought the world and landed on the other side. Tyre was fine as was the wheel. However front suspension top mount sheared on both occasions. My 330i with 17" rims has been cracked down the centre Nd had not seen a pot hole. Rft's are not only expensive but damage other parts of the car. Change them over everything improves.
      03-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter

Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
I have 20k miles on my stock run flats, staggered.
they are wearing out the corners, fierce!
grip is better than I imagined from the summer, oem rubber.
noise isn't that bad.

but alas, time for new tires.
I ordered mich pilot sport 265 rear and 235 f, not run flats.

LIGHTER, BETTER, QUIETER.

My question is similar but different to the OP's.

I only drive this car in the summer, but sure I've hit a pot hole or two, once it's was a VERY bad one. I though for sure I had a bent wheel and tire. but nothing.

my question is:
in a pothole situation...
is a run flat going to protect a wheel better than a traditional tire?
Ryebread is offline   United_States
      03-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Eagle1oh7
Captain

Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Worst feeling ever, I hit a very rough part of road on my way to my new duty station. Luckily the suspension is fine and after ditching my RFTs in Feb the car just feels smoother even over rough roads.

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, MMW Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Eagle1oh7 is offline   United_States
      03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
SuckMy_Nick
Red Liner

Drives: E92 335i XDrive

I hit potholes on these damn things and it feels like my cars being dropped from a building.. It's loud and hurts, no damage to the car but damn it's loud and scary
      03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
ozzy1
Private First Class

Drives: e90 - 328xi

You guys are talking about the known 'pothole explosion' issue. Cured it by keeping tires inflated to 100mph rating (38-41 on stock 16s). Only reason I drive the 16s is the idiotic Michigan roads. I have hit some major potholes and at worst alignment got messed up. No bubbles, bent suspension parts etc.

For noise reduction, keep high air pressure. It is counterintuitive but it works.
      03-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter

Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
my question is:
in a pothole situation...
is a run flat going to protect a wheel better than a traditional tire?[/size][/b]
STILL want to know if anyone believes the run flat is better protection against pot holes.
Ryebread is offline   United_States
      03-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
I ve had RFT since I bought my car and I like them, like the grip on them and have found good deals on them (used). I ve never hit a pothhole with them since roads around my area and driving communte are not bad; But I have to say if you live in an area with bad roads you dont want RFTs, they suck due to how rigid they are.
      03-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
remmib
General

Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
STILL want to know if anyone believes the run flat is better protection against pot holes.
No, I believe the stiffer tire sidewalls tranfers more of the force onto the wheel.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
      03-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
No, I believe the stiffer tire sidewalls tranfers more of the force onto the wheel.
This.

But RFTs offer safety features.

besides the original design of being able to drive without any air pressure (getting a flat)

But how about going 60 mph? the fact that the tire can stay in form at 60 when hitting a nail vs a non RFT can be your life. RFT are a safe route, but more expensive, rougher ride, weighs more, and lowers "gas mileage".

I ditched mine!
      03-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
Bobbybmw22
JB4, BMS intake

Drives: White BMW 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I hit a crater on the nj turnpike the other day and had to replace the tire huge bubble on the sidewall like the tire got pregnant..Luckily i had Road hazard and the tire replacement was FREE best 10 dollars i spent EVER
Bobbybmw22 is offline   United_States
      03-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
ozzy1
Private First Class

Drives: e90 - 328xi

I've gone thru potholes where I am the only survivor when there are 5-6 casualties on the side if the road. Plus even if I got a flat from a pothole I will most likely be able to drive off to gas station for safety, vs side of the 70mph highway.

Obviously, the slimmer the side-wall the more direct impact to the rim as well. The third gen potenza pole position rfts are a little different construction. I hear much better in ride quality.