E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Auto callup for memory seat?

12-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
insane79
Major

Drives: E90 lci

Auto callup for memory seat?

Hi guys,
My idrive has this option "Last seat position Auto" in the door setting. Now when i tried it it doesnt seem to work, i readjusted my seat to a random position before lockin the car but it doesn't return to my memory setting when i unlock the car, why is that?

Thanks..
insane79 is offline   No_Country
      12-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
I'm not positive, but I think you've got it backward. By turning that option on you probably tell the car to keep the seat in the last position it was in, which in your experiment, would have been the random position. Turn that option off, and the car should then return to the memory setting that is paired with the key fob you are using.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
cbad335 is offline   United_States
      12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
insane79
Major

Drives: E90 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad335 View Post
I'm not positive, but I think you've got it backward. By turning that option on you probably tell the car to keep the seat in the last position it was in, which in your experiment, would have been the random position. Turn that option off, and the car should then return to the memory setting that is paired with the key fob you are using.
ooh, so i should uncheck that option u mean? hmmn..
insane79 is offline   No_Country
      12-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
ooh, so i should uncheck that option u mean? hmmn..
Yes, I believe so. Give it a try.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
cbad335 is offline   United_States
      12-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Wires
Captain

Drives: 335xi

The BMW seat return function is pretty messed up functionality wise. If my wife gets in, and uses my keys, and adjusts the seat, it will NEVER return to my preset. Pressing the button on the seat just bumps it ahead 1/2 inch.

Any other vehicle I've had would set the seat to the fob, and if you had manually mucked with it, it would return on the next door unlock. Mine never seems to do that.
      12-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

It remembers the last seat position regardless of if it is one of the stored settings or not. The memory buttons are also different for each key.

So each key technically has three different seat positions that are different from the other key. Each key has M1, M2 and last seat position.
      12-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Wires
Captain

Unless they fixed this in later years, that last seat position is a PITA. If i take my car in for service, and the SA moves the seat way back. There is no way to get it back to my saved position. I have to manually re-adjust it again. Pressing the "M1" button does nothing, since it seems to auto-save the new position.
      12-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Thp4
Private

Drives: 2011 335i msport

The owners manual says "the driver's seat position last set is stored for remote control currently in use. You can select whether or not the seat is reset to that position automatically."

So, if I have this option on, exit my car with seat in a certain position, then another driver, using the second key moves the seat, when I return to my car using the first key, the seat will revert to the last position used with key one. Likewise when key two is used, the seat will revert to position last used with key two.

It is completely independent of the memory buttons.

In my Acura, key 1 always moved seat to memory 1 and key 2 moved seat to position two. This was really annoying when someone else had to drive car and would have to readjust seat every time they got back into car.

I think BMWs method is much better than Acura in this way.
Thp4 is offline   United_States
      12-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Wires
Captain

I know what you mean with the Acura. I just wish on the BMW, I could push "M1", and I got the preset that I had saved in there. It never seems to go back to what I set, it just stays at the last manual adjusment I did.
      12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
JasonDCarton
Captain

Drives: BMW E90

Garage List
2006 BMW E90  [4.75]
I have a 2006 and mine has worked everytime. I record mine through the MEMORY button on my actual seat. I think you choose the position and click memory than the number 1 or 2? Not positive, but you just have to record it properly then it will know. Not sure through i-drive though
      02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
SwissCheeseHead
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 328it

Bringing this thread back from slumber. I RTFM but it doesn't really tell how to program to Key fob to the seat. I'm trying to have the seat readjust when I unlock the doors, or open the door with my key fob (and alternatively with my wife's fob).

Can someone please explain to me in plain English how to do this? It's a '11 e91 if that matters. No ComfortAccess. TIA!
      02-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

There should be an option in iDrive or BC computer to set seat position on unlock or door open.

Then just unlock the car with key 1, stick in the slot, set your seat position and mirrors. Remove key, get out and lock the car.

Unlock the car with key 2, stick in the slot, set your sear position and mirrors. Remove get out, lock the car.

Now it should move the seat and mirrors to the last setting based on the key that unlocks it.
      02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
SwissCheeseHead
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
There should be an option in iDrive or BC computer to set seat position on unlock or door open.

Then just unlock the car with key 1, stick in the slot, set your seat position and mirrors. Remove key, get out and lock the car.

Unlock the car with key 2, stick in the slot, set your sear position and mirrors. Remove get out, lock the car.

Now it should move the seat and mirrors to the last setting based on the key that unlocks it.
Thank you kind sir. I will have to try this out when I get home today with the wifey's fob.